Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Remote for Android - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+---- Forum: Kodi Remote for Android Official Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=129)
+---- Thread: XBMC Remote for Android (/showthread.php?tid=55346)

- the_alien - 2010-01-16

Yeah it is a known bug.

- scutzi128 - 2010-01-18

the_alien Wrote:You mean you want the phone to check the motion sensors for motion and come back to life when you move it?

Exactly. It would be really handy as its quite annoying to have to reach for the power button on the droid while holding it with one hand.

- Saner - 2010-01-19

This is fantastic,

You should look into pushing it to the android market, as all the ones on their are frankly crap.

- the_alien - 2010-01-19

scutzi128 Wrote:Exactly. It would be really handy as its quite annoying to have to reach for the power button on the droid while holding it with one hand.

Sounds interesting, will add it as an enhancement to the issue tracker with low priority.

Saner Wrote:This is fantastic,

You should look into pushing it to the android market, as all the ones on their are frankly crap.
Thanks for the kind words Smile

As you might have read: "This is still considered as "in development". Once we're happy with it, we'll put it on the Android Market."
We're working hard on it to have it stable enough to put it onto the Android Market, but right now the versions are not stable enough to do so. But it might not be so far off Smile
As you see, there is not too much missing on the features list. Mikkle just put the picture support into SVN yesterday!
"Features until Market release
General

* Implement TV shows library
* Implement pictures
* Boxee compatibility "

PS: Yeah, I should work and not check the forum and wright long answers Wink

- coendeurloo - 2010-01-19

I actually prefer this over my harmony remote, as it is much faster to navigate with.

Keep up the development as I absolutely love it! One thing I noticed, I'm sure it's a known issue...but when I download movie covers, it crashes after receiving about 10 covers.

- the_alien - 2010-01-19

When downloading all covers at once through the menu or when you have the list load it on demand?

- spazoid - 2010-01-19

scutzi128 Wrote:Exactly. It would be really handy as its quite annoying to have to reach for the power button on the droid while holding it with one hand.

I would like to second this - this feature would be amazing! It's really the only thing (besides the missing TV Shows Library, which is High Prio as I understand) that I'm not 100% satisfied with!

- coendeurloo - 2010-01-20

the_alien Wrote:When downloading all covers at once through the menu or when you have the list load it on demand?

Actually both. I can solve this by choosing genres and then viewing (in my case) only 5 covers at once, then it will sometimes download them properly. I have since updated my covers though, they were all super large. I don't think that helped, so I'll recheck with my smaller sized posters today.

- Chimaera - 2010-01-20

Very nice application, but:
The remote control and controls when playing music/movies did not work with 0.6.3, but does on 0.6.2 buld 454 (XBMC 9.11 r26017).
My device is a HTC Hero.

So everything works just great on 0.6.2, very very nice!!
Keep up the good work Smile

- the_alien - 2010-01-20

Did you check if the EventServer port is set correct?

- Chimaera - 2010-01-20

the_alien Wrote:Did you check if the EventServer port is set correct?

Jeez, checked everything like a hundred times, missed a number of the EventServer ^^
Works like a charm now Big Grin
Thanks

- kalross - 2010-01-22

Looking forward to the Sapphire keyboard working.

Great work. Thank you.

- the_alien - 2010-01-22

To input text into XBMCs input fields? Or just send a key?
For example: If you are in the remote control you can long press menu and click a key and it will be send to XBMC.
It just doesn't work for input fields right now which may be due to a bug in the EventServer (already in trac).

- coendeurloo - 2010-01-22

The posters downloading went fine this time around, I guess it had to do with the large poster sizes.

Keep up the good work! Would love to see more functions in this baby!

- Bram77 - 2010-01-22

After using the app for some time now, I have some suggestions for improvements...

1. I think choosing between library approaches (or file approach) could be a lot snappier. What about loading the data in the selected option (artists, albums, genres...etc.) "onrelease", instead of starting to load it on selection. If, at the same time ("onpress" or when a category change is detected for instance), the thread that is loading data from XBMC at that moment could be paused or stopped, switching between categories could be much faster!

2. What's really annoying to me is that I can only play one file at a time from file mode. It would be awsome if I could just select a file and XBMC would play the next one in the directory automatically. The same way XBMC itself behaves in file mode.

3. I mostly use file mode when playing music. I'd love it if I could choose to make file mode the first 'tab' available so it would be the one populated automatically when opening the music section. But this could only be me!

4. I'm unable to get any keyboard appear. No matter how long I press the menu button on my Hero. I've tried it on all screens without any response. Am I misinterpreting the way I should be able to use it?

5. There is no way of finding out what the current volume is. Maybe a message dialog showing the current volume could be implemented that appears when changing the volume?

6. An option to toggle party mode, shuffle and repeat would be nice. On the other hand I can understand if leaving these out would be a development choice. They do take up space in the menu's and space is limited Smile.

Overall I'm pretty impressed with the way you guys build this app. It's relatively responsive and the threads interact well! Being able to add multiple XBMC instances and making it simple to switch between them is excellent! Maybe you could even add an option make the app automatically choose which should be the currently active XBMC instance based on the current wireless connection id, if at all possible. In case someone has multiple XBMC installations on the same network there should be the option to turn it off though...

I so wish I had more time to code! I've found some time to install the SDK and play around with it a bit. But still not enough time to dig into your code. I'll keep trying though! What IDE do you guys use? I'm used to NetBeans (which is a lot faster and more reliable then Eclipse), so I chose to configure it to use Android SDK which is working nicely. But if you are using Eclipse it might be a good idea to use that option.