Kodi Community Forum
User experiences so far with the dx builds of xbmc - share them here.. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: User experiences so far with the dx builds of xbmc - share them here.. (/showthread.php?tid=57681)

- kricker - 2009-09-16

azido Wrote:so you are using a different graphics card on your htpc?
The graphics on the HTPC is an onboard nvidia 6150.

- ikons - 2009-09-16

FattyMcDirty Wrote:is there an actual precompiled version of mediastream redux? i'm not into that git stuff :/

Mediastream Redux MOD is the best skin for me Wink. You can download a zip file by clicking the download button here Smile

- azido - 2009-09-16

FattyMcDirty Wrote:is there an actual precompiled version of mediastream redux? i'm not into that git stuff :/

before this is going to go completely offtopic:

Jezze_X has a direct download link in his announcement thread for original mediastream redux.

for the mediastream redux mod, check it's thread. SlaveUnit does regulary updates to mediafire.

Another ATI user with issues - beagleboy - 2009-09-16

I have been patiently awaiting a DX build that will play video and have been updating my build everyday but alas the best I get is the first frame of video (nice freeze frame by the way) and audio. Then I have to force quit XBMC to get back to normal.

So I decided to rip out the Radeon HD4550 and see if it would play video via the integrated video. Yep, plays perfectly, feels stable, no tearing.

I'm tempted to go out and get myself an nVidia card but I bought the Radeon because it is small, no fan, recommended for htpc, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Just thought I would share the experience as this media center software has given me years of pleasure from my ATV to my Macmini and now on my Optiplex from Dell.

PS: Could someone who uses an ATI card tell me when these work, I don't fancy having a daily card swap just to check.

Dell Optiplex 755
SVN 22928-DX
Core2 Duo E6850 @ 3.00GHZ
Integrated Graphics Intel Q35 Express (VGA and DVI/HDMI adapter)
(Not working - Radeon HD4550 512MB)
Windows7 Build 7100
SPDIF via receiver 5.1
All media on network servers (Synology/Windows Home Server)

cheers BB

- azido - 2009-09-16

beagleboy Wrote:I have been patiently awaiting a DX build that will play video and have been updating my build everyday but alas the best I get is the first frame of video (nice freeze frame by the way) and audio. Then I have to force quit XBMC to get back to normal.

So I decided to rip out the Radeon HD4550 and see if it would play video via the integrated video. Yep, plays perfectly, feels stable, no tearing.

I'm tempted to go out and get myself an nVidia card but I bought the Radeon because it is small, no fan, recommended for htpc, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Just thought I would share the experience as this media center software has given me years of pleasure from my ATV to my Macmini and now on my Optiplex from Dell.

Dell Optiplex 755
SVN 22928-DX
Windows7 Build 7100
SPDIF via receiver 5.1

cheers BB

thanks for your very detailed report. gets me even closer to think at given moment an ati card won't do the job as good as a decent nvidia card or an intel card will do for dx versions, although the gui itself is in perfect shape.

- azido - 2009-09-16

kricker Wrote:The graphics on the HTPC is an onboard nvidia 6150.

interesting. according to it's tech specs it should at least do a decent job for sd-content.

does it give you good results for i.e. svn 22516 or a recent -gl version?

- azido - 2009-09-16

ezhik Wrote:I was staying away from these builds, then decided to try one of the latest ones out. I'm pleasantly surprised, 22928gl and Transparency v2.0 is running so well on my test pc that I've just put it on my HTPC, alongside a stable version of course, and it's looking very good. I'll probably continue to update now on from the gl builds.

I had to change the preferred scaling method from Bicubic to Bilinear on the OSD, as the first one gave me just a small picture down the bottom of the screen. Having made that small change everything plays, in sync and smooth, that means DVDs from ISO, HD mkv, and SD avi, and BBC iplayer. The ITV catchup doesn't run, but never has for me, I think it needs a much older svn than I want to use. I'm getting an occasional lock up and freeze but its my choice to live with that and try out the latest dev build.

The dx builds don't work on my setup, that's an ATI HD 4850, and W7 64bit, but if the gl builds are a sign of things to come, then in my opinion the best just gets better.

may i assume you are not using a 2-display solution (meaning the only display connected to your htpc is the tv)?

does fullscreen work for you there by default? no black bars'n'sh*t?

- kricker - 2009-09-16

azido Wrote:interesting. according to it's tech specs it should at least do a decent job for sd-content.

does it give you good results for i.e. svn 22516 or a recent -gl version?
As I stated earlier, the GL versions work perfect on it. The 6150 can give me perfect playback on anything up to and including 1080i. I run in 720p mode. I have no issues with the hardware itself. It is just the dx versions of xbmc that tear.

- CrashX - 2009-09-16

I have ATI 1400PRO and XP and it is working fine with DX build except for minor issues that I reported earlier.

- AzzX - 2009-09-17

beagleboy Wrote:I have been patiently awaiting a DX build that will play video and have been updating my build everyday but alas the best I get is the first frame of video (nice freeze frame by the way) and audio. Then I have to force quit XBMC to get back to normal.

PS: Could someone who uses an ATI card tell me when these work, I don't fancy having a daily card swap just to check.

Dell Optiplex 755
SVN 22928-DX
Windows7 Build 7100
SPDIF via receiver 5.1

cheers BB

The Tearing is just a case of enabling vsync in the ATI panel.
Also Update ATI Drivers and DirectX
I have ATI Radeon HD 4350 working with both builds with a lesser CPU (ATI 4400) though my HTPC is using XP SP3.

The DX build for me is missing the screensavers capability and visualisations, really the only thing stopping me from using it over the gl builds.

- MaxMustermann - 2009-09-17

I have experienced some problems with video playback using the dx builds:
  1. My monitor turns off during the playback because of seeming inactivity (depends on windows energy options)
  2. I can only play a single file. If there are more files in the playlist or with multipart movies, only the first will be played correctly. From the second file on, audio is ok but no video.
These problems do not occur with the gl builds.

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+
2 GB RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD4670
Toshiba LCD-TV 37"

WinXP incl.SP3
.NET Frameworks 2&3
DirectX 9c
XBMC SVN Rev 22943 + Transparency 2.0

- ezhik - 2009-09-17

azido Wrote:may i assume you are not using a 2-display solution (meaning the only display connected to your htpc is the tv)?

does fullscreen work for you there by default? no black bars'n'sh*t?

Yes, just one display. I have an HTPC connected to a 46'' screen, and having used the CCC settings to set the resolution, (1920*1080 @60Hz), and a little adjustment to expand the desktop with the the HD setting, then XBMC fills the screen perfectly, just as the desktop does, no black bars, no taskbar popping up.

I also try out XBMC on my desktop pc which has a DELL 24'' monitor, and these latest gl builds are filling the screen on that too, although its native resolution is 1920*1200 which is 16*10, so movies play with bars top and bottom, but thats to be expected. I also have an ATI card here too, though it's an older X1950.

I've now had a couple more days with the gl builds and updated to svn22941 (and counting), still performing top notch, and once the update runs ok on the desktop pc I put the same svn the HTPC. So far we've watched quite a lot of films and iPlayer output and no crashes whilst playing. I think there was one time the HTPC wouldn't load XBMC from hibernate, (XBMC stopped responding), and one occasion of it doing the same when stopping a film at the end of play.

Looking good. The dx versions cause XBMC to stop responding when I start to play anything. I'm not so bothered, gl looks good enough to me, I've got plenty of cpu power spare so no issues there.

- azido - 2009-09-17

AzzX Wrote:The Tearing is just a case of enabling vsync in the ATI panel.
Also Update ATI Drivers and DirectX
I have ATI Radeon HD 4350 working with both builds with a lesser CPU (ATI 4400) though my HTPC is using XP SP3.

The DX build for me is missing the screensavers capability and visualisations, really the only thing stopping me from using it over the gl builds.

i'm still experiencing tearing in older gl builds under win xp (i.e. 22516) although i tried every possible combination regarding vsync both in ccc and xbmc. the first time i got no tearing at all was when switching to vista and/or windows 7, even if i do not change the default vsync settings.

- PepXri - 2009-09-17

Hi,

the latest -gl version only shows me 1280x720 at 60Hz for output resolution (the same that I have in Windows ) but I have videos at 25 fps wich are not well displayed instead of cheking the "adjust automatic refresh", If I see the display options while watching the video it is displayed at 1280x720 and 60Hz , the video info shows that it is 25 fps.

Back to 22516 version and select the 720p (16:9) output resolution ( no Hz specified), and the same video is displayed at 1280x720 and 50 Hz wich is the best for it.

Any way to make autoadjustment right of the Hz for any video like previous version does??

Kind Regards!!

PD: Latest Catalyst ( v.9.9 ) drivers installed on an XP-SP3

- azido - 2009-09-17

ezhik Wrote:I'm not so bothered, gl looks good enough to me, I've got plenty of cpu power spare so no issues there.

if i only won't have that trouble i described on my 2-screen setup, i would most likely stay with the gl builds, too. that irremovable black bar on top drives me nuts.