Kodi Community Forum
Compressed textures for FanArt - testing here with XBMC 2009-10-05 (r23431) or newer - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: Compressed textures for FanArt - testing here with XBMC 2009-10-05 (r23431) or newer (/showthread.php?tid=59115)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

- Hiiish - 2010-04-14

furii Wrote:yes, that revision will have the built in dds conversion. i can't attest to its stability as i've been running the linux version lately. you're going to want the directx version, either dx or the dx installer will work. if you download the non-installer version just extract it over your current xbmc install but don't forget to make a backup.

I tried that now but it didnt work :/ when i update the library with new movies, their bakround become just white :/ no fanart with other words. Some body now why it becomes lika that?

thanks

- EMK0 - 2010-04-14

Hiiish Wrote:I tried that now but it didnt work :/ when i update the library with new movies, their bakround become just white :/ no fanart with other words. Some body now why it becomes lika that?

thanks

Hiiish your using a svn build there are probably going to be problems.

- furii - 2010-04-14

Hiiish Wrote:I tried that now but it didnt work :/ when i update the library with new movies, their bakround become just white :/ no fanart with other words. Some body now why it becomes lika that?

thanks

i'm not sure how fast the on-the-fly conversion is on an ion box. if it uses cuda it should be pretty snappy, but if not the atom processor might take a while. jmarshall would probably have to answer that one, i'm not sure. if you turn dds off do you get fanart or still the white screen? if you're not getting fanart even with dds off it would point to another issue.

- Hiiish - 2010-04-14

furii Wrote:i'm not sure how fast the on-the-fly conversion is on an ion box. if it uses cuda it should be pretty snappy, but if not the atom processor might take a while. jmarshall would probably have to answer that one, i'm not sure. if you turn dds off do you get fanart or still the white screen? if you're not getting fanart even with dds off it would point to another issue.

Hello

If i dont have the xmf file with dds thing, i get the fanart picture, but with dds the fanart is just white.
Cuda? i use DXVA right now for video decoding, is Cuda another alternative for DXVA or is it something else`?

thanks

- furii - 2010-04-14

Hiiish Wrote:Hello

If i dont have the xmf file with dds thing, i get the fanart picture, but with dds the fanart is just white.
Cuda? i use DXVA right now for video decoding, is Cuda another alternative for DXVA or is it something else`?

thanks

sounds like you don't have a dds version of the fanart then. reason being either a) it hasn't been created yet (because of the slow atom processor or something) or b) it's failing to create it at all for some reason. your best bet would be to try the latest svn release and see how that works. if the problem remains post a debug log so the devs can take a look at it.

when i referenced cuda it was in respect to the dds fanart creation, not video playback, so nothing to do with dxva. using cuda would accelerate the conversion from tbn to dds, but i'm not sure if xbmc currently tries to use it or not. again, jmarshall would have to comment and his hands are rather full.

- jmarshall - 2010-04-15

XBMC does not use a CUDA implementation for compression of fanart or thumbs - we use only libsquish.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Dont get this DDS thing to work :S - Hiiish - 2010-04-16

have tried with several builds and non of them works :S the fanart just gets white. Even with the newest build (SVN) the fanart is just white.

I have createt an XML file samed advancedsettings and put the following in it.
<advancedsettings>
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
</advancedsettings>

and thats it? do i have to do more than that? becouse it doesnt work. When i delete the xml file i get the normal fanart but when its back there the fanart just gets white.

what can i do?

- furii - 2010-04-16

Hiiish Wrote:have tried with several builds and non of them works :S the fanart just gets white. Even with the newest build (SVN) the fanart is just white.

I have createt an XML file samed advancedsettings and put the following in it.
<advancedsettings>
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
</advancedsettings>

and thats it? do i have to do more than that? becouse it doesnt work. When i delete the xml file i get the normal fanart but when its back there the fanart just gets white.

what can i do?

like i told you in the other thread, if you don't post a debug log no one can tell you what is going on.

- Hiiish - 2010-04-16

furii Wrote:like i told you in the other thread, if you don't post a debug log no one can tell you what is going on.

I know that im missin something. people write about bat files that change jpg to dds and that thing i have not done. before i post a log file i want to know if im doing all right couse i know im not after all the reading but i cant get the solution :/

- furii - 2010-04-17

Hiiish Wrote:I know that im missin something. people write about bat files that change jpg to dds and that thing i have not done. before i post a log file i want to know if im doing all right couse i know im not after all the reading but i cant get the solution :/

if you are running svn build 28782 or later xbmc will do the conversion for dds for you, you do not need batch files any more. if you are indeed running a version with built in conversion and they aren't showing up a log will be able to at least give clues as to what is wrong.

- tuckbodi - 2010-06-03

I'm curious..how does the dds artwork get handled if I have used Ember Media Manager to pull in all my artwork into their own movie/TV show individual folders? Will it see there's artwork in these folders and then create the dds version in the userdata folder? It looks like my Thumbnails directory is getting bigger as I navigate through my movie collection so it appears it is creating the dds artwork on the fly. Although, I see a dds directory as well and that one is staying the same. XBMC r30732

- jmarshall - 2010-06-03

DDS compression is applied to all non-skin images, assuming you have the setting enabled. Doesn't matter where we get them from.

The dds folder is a remnant.

- burgemaster - 2010-06-11

Hi,
Ive just updated my Revo to XBMC-Live upto R28256

Ive made the advanced setting change. And rebooted a few times.

Is there anything else I should be doing? I am getting all white fanart and cannot see any new folders (DDS?) and the thumbnails folder is staying the exact same size.

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE:
Ive just manaully converted/Copied all the images in the FanArt folder to *.DDS and the speed increase is AWESOME!!! great work.

BUT.. ive just added a few new films and i am getting white fanart for them, it doesnt look like its converting. Has anyone got anything that I can please try?

- jmarshall - 2010-06-12

If you're getting white fanart, then clearly it's doing SOMETHING, right? Perhaps it's screwing up in some way. Check your Debug Log while it's creating a DDS image. Check your Textures.db. Check your video thumbnails folder (more than just a "is it the same size") for any .dds images.

Cheers,
Jonathan

- Altix - 2010-06-12

Just enabled this and it seems to work well, except that the dds images are huge in filesize, from a factor 5 to 25 of the original tbn file.

Is this supposed to happen in this form of "compression" ?