Kodi Community Forum
Lownoise / Noiseless Asrock ION 330 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Lownoise / Noiseless Asrock ION 330 (/showthread.php?tid=61604)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- Shank - 2010-01-19

stryx Wrote:Well, the Fanmate 2 makes a hell of a difference. Even when it's turned up to maximum speed. The case fan and the CPU fan make about the same level of noise now. Not (yet) great but acceptable.

I placed the fanmate inside the case. The Fanmate 2 version has quite long wires and it can be placed on the right hand side of the case (just).

Thanks for the hint on the Zalman Fanmate. Completely removed the annoying high pitch sound.

Additional info - mike76_it - 2010-01-20

Rion Wrote:Found this little 30mm fan on farnell's site

http://uk.farnell.com/elina/hdf3010l-05/fan-30mm-5vdc/dp/3720421

13db

But expensive as h*ll.

I checked the tech spec in the pdf file at that page and the noise for that fan is 17db and not 13db, not a big difference but the fan isn't cheap....

- mikkie - 2010-01-23

Rion Wrote:Dude that looks ugly! 10mm fan? don't you mean 50mm because that's what it looks like. If i was going to gut up my system like that i would have used a Fractal Design 40mm fan instead.

oh yeah, I meant 50mm fan offcourse..
Does it matter that it looks ugly? the bigger the better.. I did not need the dvd player ,and when you close the lit its exactly as it was before.
and very easy.. just one screw..
Smile

- brabilla - 2010-01-27

Here what I did to silence the Asrock 330HT

1. I bought the Elina 30mm 5v fan from Farnell and plugged into the spare HD power plug. Somebody commented that this fan's specs were 17db. I do not believe that, this fan is very noisy, whining+humming+vibrating. It is on its way back to Farnell for a 18.95 quid refund.

2. I used 4 Acousti fan mounts to mount the 30mm fan that came with Asrock onto the CPU cooler. I had to trim them a bit with a knife and the squeeze them into the CPU cooler holes. It is now almost completely silent!

3. I used 4 Acousti fan mounts to mount the 50mm fractal design on the back. I had to trim them a bit and use them the reverse way.

The Fractal design fan is now the noisier of the two. Overall quite acceptable.

- User 61817 - 2010-01-27

brabilla Wrote:2. I used 4 Acousti fan mounts to mount the 30mm fan that came with Asrock onto the CPU cooler. I had to trim them a bit with a knife and the squeeze them into the CPU cooler holes. It is now almost completely silent!

3. I used 4 Acousti fan mounts to mount the 50mm fractal design on the back. I had to trim them a bit and use them the reverse way.

Hi Brabilla - nice idea. Did you use the AFM02 or AFM03 versions of the fan mounts (on the page below)?
http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/ultra_soft_fan_mounts.asp

Would you mind posting some pics of your installation? Wink

- brabilla - 2010-01-29

I used AFMO2.

* I trimmed the arrow bit (portion of it), shaped as >, to fit the fractal desgn fan

*I partially trimmed the second circular bit, to fit the two on the top of the CPU cooler

* I partially trimmed both circular bit, to fit them in the hole at the bottom of the cpu

The fan is loose on the accousti mounts between the two coolers. If you fix it, the CPU cooler vibrates and hums.

I will post photos at the weekend.

- rossoneri711 - 2010-01-29

i got my asrock ion 330 ht-bd 3 days ago, from ebay, with a 500GB disk and 4GB ramm, and so far i hear nothing. It works perfectly.

- madcow - 2010-02-02

I have a 330HT, which on the inside looks like:

emanon Wrote:Image

how the .... did you people remove the last screw? (without completely opening the motherboard and heatsinks)?

-well i ended up taking the whole thing apart. It's actually not that hard. The heatsinks come of easily by pressing the black buttons down and squeezing them.

Mounted the titan with rubberbolts - robbes - 2010-03-28

Hi,

I got ride of the high pitch tone by mounting a different 30 mm fan using rubber bolt. I bought the following:
- Nanoxia Fan Shock Absorbers (pack of 8 little rubber bolts)
- Titan TFD-3007M12S fan. size: 30 x 30 x 7 mm. Pic:

Before situation:

Removed the old fan:

I cut the rubber bolts, because they're to big for the holes... You might use smaller ones, but I didn't have those. Be sure to leave one fourth of the rounding uncut, so the the rubber bolt keeps its function. Remove 3/4th of the rounding. Also take two slides of the head of the bold, so the bolt looks uncut in one dimention. You need a good head for a fixed mount: (two original, one bolt from two sides)

The bolt pushed trought the holes. You can use some water to get them in the holes more easily:

And then after slowly sliding all four bolts from the top into position:

Regards, Robbes

- Terracide - 2010-04-01

I did a little review in dutch on the ION330HT barebone running xbmc. I wanted to get it as silent as possible. I changed the cpu cooler was well. With google translation in english:
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Ftweakers.net%2Fproductreview%2F19670%2Fasrock-ion-330ht.html&sl=nl&tl=en

- dici - 2010-04-10

Hi,

robbes Wrote:Hi,
I got ride of the high pitch tone by mounting a different 30 mm fan using rubber bolt. I bought the following:
- Nanoxia Fan Shock Absorbers (pack of 8 little rubber bolts)
- Titan TFD-3007M12S fan. size: 30 x 30 x 7 mm. Pic:

I bought the same fan but cannot manage to get rid of the old one.
How did you do ? I cannot remove the heatsink, even while pushing the black button.

Thanks for your help

- Starstream - 2010-04-10

I reduced the noise without replacing the existing fans by simply using one of the cheap low noise/anti-vibration kits.

Remove the rear exhaust fan, fit the rubber washers and then put the fan back in using the original screws through the washers. Leave the other internal fan alone.

Stick the feet to the bottom of the unit and your done.

It wont silence the system but it does take it down a notch for those that want an easy method and are not too picky.

- emzed - 2010-05-11

I did a low cost modification myself and put it on my blog.

Asrock 330 HT noise reduction plan

- Bobby Blixberg - 2010-05-16

@emzed: So you managed to remove the one screw on the bottom of the CPU fan without removing the "aluminium monster" heatsink? The gap between the CPU fan and the big heatsink is approx. 5 mm only - did you use some special screw drivers? Shocked

If I cannot get rid of that high pitch noise I will have to go for an Acer Revo R3610 instead, although it has no BluRay/DVD combo drive as my ASRock has Sad

EDIT: No need to answer anymore, i will send the noisy Ion back, just ordered an Acer Aspire Revo R3610.

- emzed - 2010-05-30

@Bobby Blixberg
I admit it wasn't easy to do, but you'll manage; What I did I unscrewed the two top ones. Then with the screwdriver I widened the ribs on top a bit to make sure the screws would have some more space. With the limited space provided I was able to unscrew the bottom one as well. There was no fourth screw in my fan.