Kodi Community Forum
ASRock ION 330HT (2nd gen) - built-in IR, which lirc driver? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: ASRock ION 330HT (2nd gen) - built-in IR, which lirc driver? (/showthread.php?tid=61840)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

- gdachs - 2009-12-13

X3lectric Wrote:yep nice job/tutorial indeed alternative for the tech impaired who barely know Linux never mind handling a soldering iron - just buy an usb irda compatible with mce remotes (any will do) receiver/transmitter and away you go no fiddling for n00bs necessary. Amazon sell them.
I ordered an usb irda because of your post and now I read here on the last line that usb irda do not work with lirc, what is true?

Never mind, I found it out myself. usb irda receivers that are compatible to mce remotes does not exist. They have a totally different protocol. The mce usb receivers use cir. Thanks to you I have burned money. Maybe my few posts doesn't allow me to think, but it seems your 110 posts are not enough either.

Gerald

- X3lectric - 2009-12-13

gdachs Wrote:I ordered an usb irda because of your post and now I read here on the last line that usb irda do not work with lirc, what is true?

Never mind, I found it out myself. usb irda receivers that are compatible to mce remotes does not exist. They have a totally different protocol. The mce usb receivers use cir. Thanks to you I have burned money. Maybe my few posts doesn't allow me to think, but it seems your 110 posts are not enough either.

Gerald

I feel slightly insulted by this.

I said specifically COMPATIBLE WITH MCE and the Lirc page you referr to says it also as long as the IRDA is CIR compatible. The bottom Note is that just simple non CIR compliant devices cannot be used with lirc. There are IRDA CIR compatible devices! Now if you want to blame your lack of general skills on me? How dare you even post such stuff? Im pretty sure you have a period you can return the item as unwanted. So here's a tip for ya, return it for a full refund and refrain from blaming others for your inadequacies. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/129977 here is a fine example cheap solution and since the remote is MCE compatible so will the usb receiver be compatible with the original asrock remote. But wait then your gonna blame it on me when you get the wrong drivers installed. IM STRICKLY NOT RECOMMENDING ANYTHING NOR SHALL I BE LIABLE FOR PEBKAC or any other factors involving any of my technical advice for inability of user make constructive criticism or ask appropriate questions should there be any doubts.
Furthermore the specifications of a certain USB receivers should say what they support again you did not bother to read the specs or when in doubt ask the people selling them... Its even beyond me why someone would buy something without researching it first anyway.

I'm officially honestly peed off with your reply makes me want to help ppl even less specially ungrateful, lazy, ignorant ones.

- calmdown - 2009-12-13

Am I entitled with my second post to reply that i really want to know when the built in IR receiver will work with Lirc/linux?

How hard can it be for them to fix it?, i mean since ASRock is on sale with no OS installed, one would presume that there is drivers for the hardware available in at least all _major_ OSs. (win/apple/linux etc..)

I don't wanna go out and buy another IR receiver, because i bought the second generation ION only because of the feature.

Other than this issue the asrock delivers just as promised, an awesome machine. however you cant say that it's "silent" since the fan sounds like a Boeing 747 just prior to be airborne. (compared to other "silent" products i have, that actually are..)

- cycl0ne - 2009-12-13

people please stay patient, and don't blame other for a non working hardware configuration!
No need to do this, everybody agrees that it sucks that ASrock still hasn't got a driver for it's remote on the HT system.
So if you want to blame anyone, blame ASrock not your fellow forum members!

As a lot of you guys are new on Linux, you might not know that it sometimes takes some time to get a driver for your new hardware.
Same is the case over here.

It all comes down to get a driver for LIRC on the ASrock HT hardware to get your (and mine :-) ) remote to work.
LIRC is a wider project than XBMC live alone so please do not get agitated when it takes some time.
In the meanwhile you could get another remote sollution, if you want a working remote NOW.
Just check on the LIRC project if the remote you are planning to buy is supported.
It's just that simple.
But please a little respect to eachother would be in place.

just my 2 cents

- X3lectric - 2009-12-13

calmdown Wrote:Am I entitled with my second post to reply that i really want to know when the built in IR receiver will work with Lirc/linux?

If you bother to read the topic you'll find drivers have been requested and its up to manufacturer to supply it when its ready, but of course you didnt read....

calmdown Wrote:How hard can it be for them to fix it?, i mean since ASRock is on sale with no OS installed, one would presume that there is drivers for the hardware available in at least all _major_ OSs. (win/apple/linux etc..)

Harder then you or I can muster otherwise noone would be here. Of course some of us have bothered to pester nuvoton/asrock for the drivers.
Presumptions are nice but when you look at their website dowload site you see no linux mentioned drivers anywhere.

calmdown Wrote:I don't wanna go out and buy another IR receiver, because i bought the second generation ION only because of the feature.

Other than this issue the asrock delivers just as promised, an awesome machine. however you cant say that it's "silent" since the fan sounds like a Boeing 747 just prior to be airborne. (compared to other "silent" products i have, that actually are..)

Well then don't get one I agree Asrock are Microsoft pushers prolly been paid to delay Linux drivers for the chips so that ppl will spend £200 on their OS then £5 on USB receiver... I know exactly how much I rather spend and to who give my money. Besides having no remote with xbmc linux dont bother you so much then well get the normal ION.

- calmdown - 2009-12-13

You really are in a mood are you?

I'm used to forums being full of all kinds of people, so no biggie.

I have however read this whole topic and also seen that drivers has been requested from the manufacturer.
BUT this is indeed a forum so people are supposed to discuss things aren't they?
I am sorry if i have offended you by posting on "your" forum. (irony)

And you are right, I have not tried to contact nuvoton/asrock about it, i will however do that as soon as I've posted this.

And its not like the whole world will cave in if it takes X amount of months until the driver is ready, but when it comes to my home media stuffs, i have a real OCD issue, and want things to be perfect.

I'm sure you understand what I'm talking about Smile

- X3lectric - 2009-12-14

BTW I dont think my reply was at all uncalled for, I agree with you but your questions wont be answered here.

Not in a mood today or any day, I'm quite fun person however, just hate lazy ignorant ppl (not that I am saying your one or the other), who seemingly pop up here and there expecting to be handheld all the way. If someone cant be bothered to read a topic then they shouldn't be felt sorry for expecting others to do their legwork for them... I mean not only is it free but it has to be spoonfed? lol think not.

If you want to help email nuvoton if you read the topic the email is posted here...

As a side not I been registered in these forums since 2006 and half of those posts are in last month, which mean I read 100 times more than I type in any forum.

- calmdown - 2009-12-15

X3lectric Wrote:BTW I dont think my reply was at all uncalled for, I agree with you but your questions wont be answered here.

Not in a mood today or any day, I'm quite fun person however, just hate lazy ignorant ppl (not that I am saying your one or the other), who seemingly pop up here and there expecting to be handheld all the way. If someone cant be bothered to read a topic then they shouldn't be felt sorry for expecting others to do their legwork for them... I mean not only is it free but it has to be spoonfed? lol think not.

If you want to help email nuvoton if you read the topic the email is posted here...

As a side not I been registered in these forums since 2006 and half of those posts are in last month, which mean I read 100 times more than I type in any forum.

fair enough, all i wanted was probably some sympathy, because lately i have bought some other stuff that did not perform as good as the box usually tells you it does, so so..

I have however mailed nuvoton and requested drivers.

Maybe some day before this machine is too old we'll get working integrated IR in linux Smile

- X3lectric - 2009-12-15

Yea mate well buying stuff that doesnt work as prescribed is easely dealt with by returning it for full refund, my sympathy however goes out to all of us who have bought the product and being stiffled by either Asrock or Microsoft who are possibly delaying the Linux drivers resolution so that if you want a fully working solution you BUY Windows.

Like I said as well I rather buy and have a £5 USB CIR compatible receiver tweaked the remote codes and have it all pretty much working. Except for the parts where no drivers exist and the odd custom stuff I want for my system and the ones I set up for others.

- stinkupuss - 2009-12-16

X3lectric Wrote:...£5 USB CIR compatible receiver

Which one did you get? Been googling and searching the usual places and there are so many of these and most come with remotes. I haven't come across any that specify CIR compatable. Maybe they all are. I was going down the x360 controller route as an alternative but still would like to use the asrock remote.

Thx

- X3lectric - 2009-12-16

I posted a link up there for one http://bit.ly/5PH50o most of these guys will come with remotes but you can ignore them and use the asrock one unless you like the other better. Also since xbmc supports mce remotes out of the box all you prolly need is to install correct drivers for usb receiver in lirc, for mine I have mceusb drivers on works a treat even though its not a real mce cir usb receiver but is 100% compatible.

Phillips are pretty much the defacto default for mce stuff in linux if minor alterations are ever needed in any case you can manipulate the a e.g. remote.xml file and add the functions to keys. like eject. this .xml would need to be placed inside keymaps dir in xbmc.

on another note Im glad I have all my kit running b4 this silly holiday but Im looking fwd to spend some time with my missus.

- Novin - 2009-12-16

stinkupuss Wrote:Which one did you get? Been googling and searching the usual places and there are so many of these and most come with remotes. I haven't come across any that specify CIR compatable. Maybe they all are. I was going down the x360 controller route as an alternative but still would like to use the asrock remote.

Thx

I *think* that you only need to look for a MCE/RC 6 compatible receiver and this will be a CIR device.

http://www.remotecontrol.philips.com/index.cfm?id=1336
http://www.tuxmobil.org/Infrared-HOWTO/infrared-howto-c-lirc-irda.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_IR

- X3lectric - 2009-12-16

CIR only stands for consumer infra red any mce remote which has any usb type receiver should work 100% since they will all have to by standard be compatible with the mce implementation which ANY manufacturer making mce remotes with usb receivers has to support otherwise they cannot be labeled or sold as mce remotes at all.

Like I said 90% or these come with remotes or tv card & remote though the tv cards tend not to have a usb receiver. lets not confuse ppl more, it a simple job this.

Worth mentioning that just because it has a hauppage or phillips or other brand (insert your favorite) that in their majority is made by same company so pick anything that will fit the bill on both requirements and price.
Good luck trying to get it b4 xmas now.

- andyjayh - 2009-12-17

I received my ASrock ION 330HT yesterday, only went for this version as it had a built in IR receiver and remote in the box. Loaded XBMC Live 9.11 Beta2 today as was a little disappointed when the remote didn't work. Not to worry I'll just work it out after a little reading on this forum. Ah, not so good then after reading this thread. Now I am really disappointed Sad

So followed the link posted by X3lectric (thanks) and have bought IR Receiver for £5 to get me by until this driver issue gets resolved Big Grin Being the impatience type I paid more for the postage than for the remote so I could get it tomorrow Laugh

- X3lectric - 2009-12-17

andyjayh Wrote:I received my ASrock ION 330HT yesterday, only went for this version as it had a built in IR receiver and remote in the box. Loaded XBMC Live 9.11 Beta2 today as was a little disappointed when the remote didn't work. Not to worry I'll just work it out after a little reading on this forum. Ah, not so good then after reading this thread. Now I am really disappointed Sad

So followed the link posted by X3lectric (thanks) and have bought IR Receiver for £5 to get me by until this driver issue gets resolved Big Grin Being the impatience type I paid more for the postage than for the remote so I could get it tomorrow Laugh

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61840

look at my replies on there