Kodi Community Forum
Synchronize music/video multicast-stream playback to multiple instances of XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Synchronize music/video multicast-stream playback to multiple instances of XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=6207)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Synchronize music/video multicast-stream playback to multiple instances of XBMC - Jonnio - 2004-10-01

i would love to find some way to be able to synchronize my xbox (and another 1 or 2) and my computer so that all of the rooms in my house can be playing the same stream in sync with each other.

the only product that i have found so far is the slimp3 line of hardware based products which all cost more than an xbox.

- suls - 2004-10-04

i'll second this!!

just done a quick search before adding my feature request and found this post. :lookaround:
would love to be able to stream from the xbox to pc (or other device) and my neighbours would be a whole lot happier!!

:bowdown:

no idea how easy or hard this would actually be to code but has to be worth the ask.

so there it is my feature request -

"a inbuilt audio streaming server for xbmc"

could any one from the dev team (or who has a clue) tell me if this is pie in the sky ?? workable even Huh or almost complete Huh hehehhhee can hope..

tia cheers suls

- FastShow - 2004-10-04

(jonnio @ sep. 30 2004,23:25 Wrote:the only product that i have found so far is the slimp3 line of hardware based products which all cost more than an xbox.
couldn't we just have support for squeezebox (the slimp3 server), since it's all open source anyway?

- Jonnio - 2004-10-04

(fastshow @ oct. 04 2004,09:13 Wrote:couldn't we just have support for squeezebox (the slimp3 server), since it's all open source anyway?
squeezebox will let you stream to anything, but the problem is the way the hardware interfaces with the server to sync multiple players. i would love for someone to get this working though.

- Jonnio - 2004-10-05

well, i did some more digging and it looks like someone did get a software based player to go with slimserver to allow synchronization, so if anyone knows how to port that over from java we would have an awesome stream player all done.

- Gamester17 - 2004-10-05

why not just stream from a shoutcast or icecast server over http, this is already possible and the audio should be in sync (in theory) :p

- Jonnio - 2004-10-05

(gamester17 @ oct. 05 2004,14:44 Wrote:why not just stream from a shoutcast or icecast server over http, this is already possible and the audio should be in sync (in theory) :p
i tried that. the problem is if you don't have something to sync the playback of multiple players they will always be anywhere from a split second to 5 seconds off of each other due to buffering and the difference in time that it takes from when you hit the play button until audio starts coming out.

- SteveGlen - 2004-10-06

surely the ideal way to implement streaming to multiple clients (within your lan) would be multicast streaming, using something like videolan vlc. the server transmits one copy of the media stream, and clients who want to receive it just have to "listen in" - so they would all receive the same video at the same time.

afaik, xbmc does not support receiving and decoding multicast udp streams. is anyone actively developing this?

steve

- dopefish3d - 2005-04-11

haven't seen this mentioned anywhere before, so i'll throw it up here:

i've got 3 xboxes at my house in 3 different rooms, all modded running xbmc. when i'm doing housework, and walking between rooms, i'm always wanting to have the same video or song playing in all my rooms. it would be awesome if xbmc was aware of other copies of itself running on the same network, and in knowing that, could 'slave' itself to another xbox and sync itself with what's already playing on it.

this sound useful to anyone else?

- vita10gy - 2005-04-12

i was actually thinking something simmilar would be cool. my bro and i have all of the same media (we live in different houses) and it would be kind of cool to sync them up.

- methusa - 2005-08-19

hello all

i am looking to be able to play media on my pc or xbox and get playback at the same time on the other, but have no idea where to start or if it is even possible, cheers for any ideas you might have

- kraqh3d - 2005-08-19

its not supported... tho, you *may* be able run the vlc server on your pc and play a file while re-streaming it to the xbox. but even if this is possible, i dont know if they would be in sync.

- Hax0rPunk - 2005-08-29

i was wondering if there is anyway to have what music is playing on my pc to play on the xbox at the same time

- kraqh3d - 2005-08-29

no, though you could kick off a common playlist on both your computer and the xbox but dont expect the playback to be sync'ed.

- smolesen - 2005-09-01

hi

i've got a couple of xboxes running xbmc at home. sometimes (when we have a party) it would be nice to have them all play the same piece of music at the same time (they are located in different rooms around the house). of course i could setup a shoutcast server, but then i'd have to make a playlist on the server, rather than on the xbox,making is all less flexible.....
is there another way to accomplish this??

tia

søren