Kodi Community Forum
Sick Beard - Automatic TV Show Episode download/sort/rename, nfo/tbn maker & TV Guide - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Sick Beard - Automatic TV Show Episode download/sort/rename, nfo/tbn maker & TV Guide (/showthread.php?tid=63591)

- ECEC - 2011-07-22

mattressfish Wrote:That's it. Seems like a useful enough idea...

You're better off posting requests to the actual newsgroups themselves, where the people that actually post might have a chance of seeing it. Alternatively, find a private torrent community somewhere that will respond to requests.

- seand - 2011-07-22

#1 a few people actually do communicate via usenet the old fashioned way, the way it originally worked. If you are already have a usenet account to download there is nothing stopping you from setting an app like Mozilla's Thunderbird to access the appropriate newsgroup directly where say the other 10 episodes were posted and simply typing in a comment that you are interested in someone reposting the 11th one. People do actually read the usenet like a listserve sometimes. There is still a whole world where people have conversations much like this forum on usenet, which is where these files originally come from.

#2 the indexing sites for nzbs all have their own forums and that is another place to reach out for garbled or missing files.

There are already programs people use to send messages to eachother on newsgroups. I don't think Sickbeard should aim to redo what 20 other programs have already done for the last 15 years, just like it shouldn't aim to reinvent email. There are apps that do that function much better already.

- mattressfish - 2011-07-22

ECEC Wrote:You're better off posting requests to the actual newsgroups themselves, where the people that actually post might have a chance of seeing it. Alternatively, find a private torrent community somewhere that will respond to requests.

seand Wrote:#1 a few people actually do communicate via usenet the old fashioned way, the way it originally worked. If you are already have a usenet account to download there is nothing stopping you from setting an app like Mozilla's Thunderbird to access the appropriate newsgroup directly where say the other 10 episodes were posted and simply typing in a comment that you are interested in someone reposting the 11th one. People do actually read the usenet like a listserve sometimes. There is still a whole world where people have conversations much like this forum on usenet, which is where these files originally come from.

#2 the indexing sites for nzbs all have their own forums and that is another place to reach out for garbled or missing files.

There are already programs people use to send messages to eachother on newsgroups. I don't think Sickbeard should aim to redo what 20 other programs have already done for the last 15 years, just like it shouldn't aim to reinvent email. There are apps that do that function much better already.

The idea isn't about MY specific requests. Its about what a swarm of Sickbeard users are wanting to watch, but currently no one is capping. Let me try again to explain it...

(assuming someone has enabled this feature)

Every day, the Sickbeard application would upload what's on the user's backlog/wanted list. From that, the Sickbeard website would compile the data from all reporting users and come up with a "heat" index of shows that people want, but aren't currently available for download.

So for example, lets say that 100 users enable this feature. After data compilation, its shows that 30 users are requesting Jersey Shore, but no downloads have been found. From that, cappers (or anyone with the equipment to give back to the community) could cap and post the most requested shows.

I envisioned it being a feedback loop to see what big shows are being missed...

Does this expanded description make any sense? I'm not trying to recreate anything or another avenue to request reposting of corrupted .RARs. The idea is just to use the Sickbeard app for some useful crowd sourcing.

- darkscout - 2011-07-22

Communicating to the 'scene' is as good as talking to Anonymous.

You might as well start a web petition.

- seand - 2011-07-22

mattressfish Wrote:The idea isn't about MY specific requests. Its about what a swarm of Sickbeard users are wanting to watch, but currently no one is capping. Let me try again to explain it...

(assuming someone has enabled this feature)

Every day, the Sickbeard application would upload what's on the user's backlog/wanted list. From that, the Sickbeard website would compile the data from all reporting users and come up with a "heat" index of shows that people want, but aren't currently available for download.

So for example, lets say that 100 users enable this feature. After data compilation, its shows that 30 users are requesting Jersey Shore, but no downloads have been found. From that, cappers (or anyone with the equipment to give back to the community) could cap and post the most requested shows.

I envisioned it being a feedback loop to see what big shows are being missed...

Does this expanded description make any sense? I'm not trying to recreate anything or another avenue to request reposting of corrupted .RARs. The idea is just to use the Sickbeard app for some useful crowd sourcing.
OK much clearer.

Of course you could probably just set up a simple website that did all that much more easily than build it into Sickbeard and issues/concerns about privacy would likely be a lot simpler. The "I hypothetically want" community does not have to be directly attached to the "I use to trigger downloads" tool per se. Heck you could build that site, have advertising pay the hosting costs and it might even turn into a small business.

- mattressfish - 2011-07-22

darkscout Wrote:Communicating to the 'scene' is as good as talking to Anonymous.

You might as well start a web petition.

Fair enough. A story though...

A friend of mine starting capping and posting a show that had not been previously capped. He got some good feedback and praise, but ran out of time to do it. Somehow, one of the "professional" cappers picked up where he left off. I thought that was pretty neat.

Combine that situation (which I acknowledge may be rare) with the large-ish userbase of Sickbeard and you might have something.

Either way, I'd love to help, but can't code my way out of a box. In the meantime, I'll just stick to suggestions and donating when I can. Smile

- Kaitlyn2004 - 2011-07-23

For right now I am just running Sick beard on my computer. I noticed some shows aren't listing new episodes and after some searching it looks like that's because this happens at 3am - which my computer is never on at...

So I went to manage -> Daily Episode Search: and hit "Force" but nothing got updated by the looks of it.

How do I have it fetch the new episode dates/etc.?

- HenryFord - 2011-07-25

mhm...I am living in GMT +2 and watch american tv, so they air always when my PC is off - once I start my PC and Sickbeard, they get picked up. So - the time is not the issue here, it is something else... Is it for specific shows? What does the log state?

- thezoggy - 2011-07-25

it's the nightly update process (happens at 3am est) you can override this with the --forceupdate (i think is the command) startup argument or just do a force-update manually.

- Kaitlyn2004 - 2011-07-25

thezoggy Wrote:it's the nightly update process (happens at 3am est) you can override this with the --forceupdate (i think is the command) startup argument or just do a force-update manually.

On windows do I just call SickBeard.exe --forceupdate ?

- aoaaron - 2011-08-01

on my unraid server, every file from sickbeard if i add a lot of epsidoes is "trying to fetch" and they never freaking complete!! any fixes??

- rascalli - 2011-08-01

You mean sabnzbd+ keeps saying trying to fetch ??

If so .. have a look if you did not meet your daily usage on the nzb sites

- rascalli - 2011-08-01

Kaitlyn2004 Wrote:On windows do I just call SickBeard.exe --forceupdate ?

Yes that is indeed all you need to put in the shortcut link

- krish_2k4 - 2011-08-01

new user here...........i frickin love this software! saves me time and so easy to setup!

- paul elder - 2011-08-01

Took me a while to get it working on my mac but it working great, thanks to darkscout. I only use eztv rss and it works fine, one question I have is I have set it to where my tv shows are stored, but what I can't seem to get right is can I then get sickbeard to put it into my tv folder, I have tried a few option but it won't work, any suggestions

Paul