Kodi Community Forum
Back Row General Discussion - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: Back Row (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=127)
+----- Thread: Back Row General Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=63773)

- kiboy6 - 2010-04-14

Sharpe Wrote:That's an interesting one - I can't see any way to display any image other than album cover art. Have you found any views - on any skins, for that matter, that manage to display an embeded ID3 single cover artwork? - If you know of any let me know and I'll see what they're doing.

Just realised that I may not have answered your question the way you intended it...

Actually, my answer was only regarding embedded ID3 single cover artwork in the recently added list.

If your question was merely regarding embedded ID3 single cover artwork in general,then Back Row already does it! Everything in my singles collection (ie with no "album" tag) has it's own artwork, and this displays beautifully in BackRow (looks awesome with he big wall view) Smile

- Sharpe - 2010-04-19

Here's a heads up to let you know that I've just altered one of the video library list views to try and add kiboy6's list view suggestion. /Still working on it but this is what it currently looks like:

- kiboy6 - 2010-04-19

Wow...that's looking really great Sharpe Smile

Personally, I wouldn't need the "rating" stars - Perhaps the same space could be used for limited info on the selected movie - ie meta data tags , runtime/ genre?

Also- one of my favourite things about Back-Row is how solid and un-PCprogramm-y it feels. To that end I reckon the movie cover would look cooler as a DVD / Blu-ray case, rather than a borderless image.

Just my suggestions based on my personal preferences of course - so happy that you're making this view for Back-Row! Thanks!

- Sharpe - 2010-04-19

Ok cool - sounds good.

View mkII

- kiboy6 - 2010-04-20

Sharpe - you are amazing! That view is just perfect!

Can't test now but I presume that the cover type changes from Blu-ray to DVD depending on SD / HD, so those tags meta tags aren't necessary? Simply awesome if so!

Thanks so much again -this view has just solidified BackRow as my one one and only skin!

- djdafreund - 2010-04-20

I love those changes. Very nice Sharpe!!! Would you think it might look better if maybe 1-2 more choice are shown in list, which would bring the balance of the top of the list to be more flush with the top of the box cover, but more importantly it would allow you to flip around fast in the list with a few more choices in the list at a quick glance. And maybe to also balance the center info image, bring that up to match and with the extra space, add maybe the Length tag and Ending Time tag, or SOMETHING. Just brain storming a little. It's cool still now, but was just thinking about things like above while looking at it is all.

- kiboy6 - 2010-04-20

Just tested it - absolutely love it Smile

- Personally, I love how low the two boxes are - keeps the screen real-estate as free as possible for the fanart !

- I love how the field below the genre (says director in the pic above) cycles through various movie info. Do you think runtime might work as one of these info fields too?

- I see that the case type does indeed vary according to SD / HD movies - looks fantastic. My only problem is that all my movies which for whatever reason have no metadata scraped, show up with no case at all - just a plain image. Is there any chance of setting the default case type to DVD? (Ie use DVD case unless it's definitely HD). If you don't think that's a good idea I'd love it if you could point me in the direction of a basic mod to achieve that if you have the time Smile

- Final nitpicky thought! : I reckon it would look cooler if the whole image was redrawn each time (ie including the case). As it is, with only the cover part changing if the movie type is constant (HD to HD or SD to SD), you kind of get an unwanted glimpse behind the scenes of what's going on! (Hope you know what I mean Wink )

Thanks so so much Sharpe!

- Sharpe - 2010-04-20

djdafreund Wrote:I love those changes. Very nice Sharpe!!! Would you think it might look better if maybe 1-2 more choice are shown in list, which would bring the balance of the top of the list to be more flush with the top of the box cover, but more importantly it would allow you to flip around fast in the list with a few more choices in the list at a quick glance. And maybe to also balance the center info image, bring that up to match and with the extra space, add maybe the Length tag and Ending Time tag, or SOMETHING. Just brain storming a little. It's cool still now, but was just thinking about things like above while looking at it is all.

Hi mate! - Glad you like the view. As for making it taller - yeah maybe I can look into some sort of option perhaps? Give it a chance to bed in first though I think.

kiboy6 Wrote:Just tested it - absolutely love it Smile

- Personally, I love how low the two boxes are - keeps the screen real-estate as free as possible for the fanart !

- I love how the field below the genre (says director in the pic above) cycles through various movie info. Do you think runtime might work as one of these info fields too?

- I see that the case type does indeed vary according to SD / HD movies - looks fantastic. My only problem is that all my movies which for whatever reason have no metadata scraped, show up with no case at all - just a plain image. Is there any chance of setting the default case type to DVD? (Ie use DVD case unless it's definitely HD). If you don't think that's a good idea I'd love it if you could point me in the direction of a basic mod to achieve that if you have the time Smile

- Final nitpicky thought! : I reckon it would look cooler if the whole image was redrawn each time (ie including the case). As it is, with only the cover part changing if the movie type is constant (HD to HD or SD to SD), you kind of get an unwanted glimpse behind the scenes of what's going on! (Hope you know what I mean Wink )

Thanks so so much Sharpe!

Hi kiboy6 - glad you like the view - it's pretty much all your idea mate. I've just added your other suggestions - cheers.

- djdafreund - 2010-04-20

thats cool. as the view stands now, it still looks great. BIG difference too!! i will make a mockup so u can get a future glimpse of its looks, if added as a selectable skin option, even better. but i was thinking when flipping through a lot of movies, by only having 4 in the list, theres not much space to quick view the list as your moving fast through it, thats why i thought maybe to add a couple more spots in height to help make that easier to do. and the center one to stretch space higher, and add a couple tags to help fill the new exta space, so all 3 end up lining up.
thats why i like making mockups for ideas, that way you can see it first and if it doesnt end up looking that good, no time is wasted doing the code, just the mockup which isnt any trouble for me. sharpe has added a number of things in the past from seeing a mockup first and liking how it looked completed.

- kiboy6 - 2010-04-21

Sharpe Wrote:Hi kiboy6 - glad you like the view - it's pretty much all your idea mate. I've just added your other suggestions - cheers.

Wow Sharpe - I can't tell you how grateful I am Big Grin

Your kindness and patience match your skinning skills!

- kiboy6 - 2010-04-21

Just got home to try out the latest version - love it so much. Love the "NOT RATED" for movies without a rating. Was actually going to mention that empty space but didn't want to be too fussy!

Speaking of being fussy......

kiboy6 Wrote:- Final nitpicky thought! : I reckon it would look cooler if the whole image was redrawn each time (ie including the case). As it is, with only the cover part changing if the movie type is constant (HD to HD or SD to SD), you kind of get an unwanted glimpse behind the scenes of what's going on! (Hope you know what I mean Wink )

I thought of a better "real world" analogy way of explaining this. When we scroll from one SD movie to another:
- At the moment the eye sees the label changing on a static DVD case.
- Ideally wouldn't we want the illusion of looking at a new case with a new movie in it?

This illusion would be achieved if the case itself disappeared for an instant as the cover changes. Sorry if you did this already, and I somehow missed it but at the moment I'm not seeing it at my end Smile

Cheers! Big Grin

- Sharpe - 2010-04-21

I did change this it should disappear and reappear the same time as the poster does now. I removed the fancy background loading feature to enable this

- kiboy6 - 2010-04-21

Hmm strange...looks the same to me...I still get the effect of only the label changing....

Should I now see a perceptible instant of nothingness between movie cases?

- mcoto - 2010-04-21

djdafreund Wrote:I love those changes. Very nice Sharpe!!! Would you think it might look better if maybe 1-2 more choice are shown in list, which would bring the balance of the top of the list to be more flush with the top of the box cover, but more importantly it would allow you to flip around fast in the list with a few more choices in the list at a quick glance. And maybe to also balance the center info image, bring that up to match and with the extra space, add maybe the Length tag and Ending Time tag, or SOMETHING. Just brain storming a little. It's cool still now, but was just thinking about things like above while looking at it is all.

I'd like to vote for a longer list as well. I have 300+ movies on the server and scrolling down 4 at a time can take a long time. I love the current list view because I can get to the movie I want pretty quickly. It looks great though and I can see how you would want to keep the fanart more pristine . Just my 2c

M

- Sharpe - 2010-04-21

kiboy6 Wrote:Hmm strange...looks the same to me...I still get the effect of only the label changing....

Should I now see a perceptible instant of nothingness between movie cases?

Oh I see what you wanted now - okay I've added this effect - does that not look a bit "jumpy" to you though? Having the case disappear for an instance like that.

mcoto Wrote:I'd like to vote for a longer list as well. I have 300+ movies on the server and scrolling down 4 at a time can take a long time. I love the current list view because I can get to the movie I want pretty quickly. It looks great though and I can see how you would want to keep the fanart more pristine . Just my 2c

M

Hi mcoto - as you and Djdafreund want this I will make it an option to make this list bigger in skin options - when I get the time Smile