Kodi Community Forum
Back Row General Discussion - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: Back Row (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=127)
+----- Thread: Back Row General Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=63773)

- kiboy6 - 2011-05-13

Sharpe Wrote:I did take a look and tried to get something to display when randomise was activated. Sorry but I could only get it display when the playing controls were activated. I'll probably need some help with it when I get round to it again

No worries - if you do have time to return to it at any point let me know if/how I can help in any way Smile

Quote:In the meantime I've been working at putting together a Pre-Eden version of Back Row (getting the recently added stuff to work right, removing obselete xmls and so on). I've posted up a direct download link to that version if anyone is using a current nightly build and wants to try it. Still working on things - like file mode views and so on but thought it worth putting something out for testing.

Sounds great....would love to try it out but will stick with the stability of Dharma for now Wink

I'm still puzzled by the slight slugishness of transitions on my BackRrow though...

I copied my entire XBMC profile folder onto my new and quite powerful laptop. (Intel i3 2.13 Ghz CPU, 4GB ram). I then ran the exact same version of XBMC (10.1) on that machine. While the black screens between, say, home screen and movies library are shorter, they are definitely still there. (maybe 3 or 4 seconds as opposed to 7 or 8 on my main Atom CPU Shuttle HTPC).

If nobody else experiences this, I'm wondering if there's some bloat in my profile folder causing the delays. As I said, on both systems Confluence is perfectly snappy.

Here is a debug log of me starting XBMC going into "TV shows" returning to Home, going into Movies, then quitting.

Thanks very much if you have time to look into this. Sorry for banging on about this - if BackRow is just a lot more CPU intensive than, say, Confluence, I can certainly live with the slow transitions. However, if there's something I can fix in my profile folder I would abviously love to take care of it. Perhaps the tidying up of old xmls you mentioned for the Eden realease of BackRow will help me out too?

Thanks so much Smile

- Sharpe - 2011-05-14

kiboy6 Wrote:...Sounds great....would love to try it out but will stick with the stability of Dharma for now Wink

Don't blame you I wouldn't recommend switching yet - there's too much breakage with scripts at the moment.

kiboy6 Wrote:....I'm still puzzled by the slight slugishness of transitions on my BackRrow though...

I copied my entire XBMC profile folder onto my new and quite powerful laptop. (Intel i3 2.13 Ghz CPU, 4GB ram). I then ran the exact same version of XBMC (10.1) on that machine. While the black screens between, say, home screen and movies library are shorter, they are definitely still there. (maybe 3 or 4 seconds as opposed to 7 or 8 on my main Atom CPU Shuttle HTPC).

If nobody else experiences this, I'm wondering if there's some bloat in my profile folder causing the delays. As I said, on both systems Confluence is perfectly snappy.

Here is a debug log of me starting XBMC going into "TV shows" returning to Home, going into Movies, then quitting.

Thanks very much if you have time to look into this. Sorry for banging on about this - if BackRow is just a lot more CPU intensive than, say, Confluence, I can certainly live with the slow transitions. However, if there's something I can fix in my profile folder I would abviously love to take care of it. Perhaps the tidying up of old xmls you mentioned for the Eden realease of BackRow will help me out too?

Thanks so much Smile

Before we get into this can I assume you're using Back Row without the curtain countdown? (The countdown obviously introduces a delay). So I was looking into this and the only real difference I can see is the transition from Home to video library (Movies, TV, Music Videos) the transition to the other screens from home seem fine to me - would you agree?

If it is the transition to the video library then I think it is down to the number of views that are being loaded up. If I manually go into the MyVideoNav.xml and remove say all the views except the first and last view then the transition to the video library is about the same length of time as with Confluence. Using other skins with lots of views (Shade, Neon, Night, Aeon Nox etc) for me have about the same transition length going into video library (a little over a second) whereas with Confluence it's a bit quicker.

Could you try some of the other skins and report back what you find mate?

I can't see anything obvious going on in the xml to slow things down so I think it is just an issue with the number of views.

- kiboy6 - 2011-05-16

Hi Sharpe,

Thanks so much for looking into this and being so patient as always!

Anyway, I tried out of few of the skins you suggested, and while I didn't do any exact measurements it seems that you're right and that a delay is present on all of them when navigating between home menu and video library. I guess XBMC's full prettiness is just quite resource hungry!

One area in which it does seem as though BackRow might be slower than most however is the transition back to the home menu. I often get the same black screen pause going back to the home menu with BackRow but found it pretty instantaneous with the others.

If it is the number of views that is the issue, is there an easy mod you can suggest to prevent unused / unwanted views from loading?

Thanks so much Smile

- Sharpe - 2011-05-16

No worries - I'll see what I can do about the transition (window closing) animations in the library views. As for preventing some views from loading - you could always manually remove the includes for the views you wanted to prevent loading in the videonav.xml. A long term solution would be some sort of skin options to manually exclude the views.

- djdafreund - 2011-05-17

Thank Sharpe for making a separate svn trunk that's compatible for Pre-Eden XBMC Builds (Useful for 'anyone' that uses 'Daily XBMC builds', or build downloads offered from the XBMC site.) Now you can continue using the newest and greatest version of Back Row with daily XBMC builds. And STILL have the normal Back Row daily build's to use if using the older XBMC Dharma last official release.
There is LOT'S going on currently with XBMC, so REMEMBER things sometime's might/will get broken, and is normal ANYTIME using the newest daily XBMC builds, and be patient if it does. Sharpe is most of the time very quick to make fixes if it's something on the skin end side of things. But be patient, as we all have lives and families also. Thanks Sharpe for doing this!!!!

- kiboy6 - 2011-05-17

Sharpe Wrote:No worries - I'll see what I can do about the transition (window closing) animations in the library views. As for preventing some views from loading - you could always manually remove the includes for the views you wanted to prevent loading in the videonav.xml. A long term solution would be some sort of skin options to manually exclude the views.

Hi Sharpe - that sounds great. Thanks so much. In the meantime I deleted some includes form viedonav.xml and I think it definitely makes an improvement.

Just in case anyone else is doing this, a couple of things I noticed:

-List1 include should not be deleted if you want fanart background in the other list views.

- List 3 in XBMC is referred to by "List 4" in the includes.

And yeah, if it's not only me who would see the benefit of this a skin option to manually exlude un-needed views would be great eventually.

Cheers Smile

- bandelguy - 2011-05-17

Hi Sharpe and Djdafreund, guys can you post a log of significant changes done and those in the lineup, in the 1st post? It will help users to get know about the changes you guys are making. The screenshots do tell a lot, but not the finer details.

- Sharpe - 2011-05-17

I've added links to the change logs in the main download post - future changes are still a bit up in the air. Amongst these are:

Integrating last FM slideshow script that Ronie has been developing - when it's ready
Weather.com script integration - when I can muster the motivation
Restoring random items script to Eden-Pre version - when an XBMC bug gets fixed.
Adding options to exclude views in skin options. - Not sure when yet.
Moving all the xml over to HD - again when I get an extended slot of free time.

Dealing with changes / new bugs due to Eden's ongoing development - etc etc

- kiboy6 - 2011-05-20

Hi Sharpe,

Just to maybe add to that exciting and extensive to do list....

I was wondering if it might be possible to:
a) Add custom submenu buttons to the user chosen home menu choices
b) Configure the order of submenu buttons on all submenus.

To explain a) further:
I have a home menu entry for the youtube addon. Unfortunately my connection is too crap to have torrents proceeding on one PC while I stream youtube on the other.
For that reason I need to pause my torrents when watching youtube vids.

At the moment I have put a shortcut to the utorrent controller addon under TV shows. However it would be much more logical to have it under my youtube home menu entry - at the moment there is no way of doing that through the skin options.

Perhaps these are problematic changes and there's a reason why you haven't implemented them before - but if not I think it would be very cool to add this extra "configurability" Smile

Thanks!

Incidentally, on the subject of the utorrent controller. Is this something you / a lot of people use? If so I reckon it's crying out for some skin integration as ATM its not very user friendly. (To pause "all torrents" you have to select a single torrent and then bring up the context menu).
I have no idea if many people would be interested in this, or if it's even possible at skin level, but a simple submenu button to pause/unpause all torrents would be a massive boon to me. May be of no interest to you, but just throwing it out there Wink

Edit - Actually I suppose by far the easiest way to achieve this would be via a change to the utorrent addon. If "pause/resume all torrents" could be chosen as a favourite then the task of adding this as a button would already be possible with Backrow. I made the request about the utrrent addon here

- Sharpe - 2011-05-21

kiboy6 Wrote:Hi Sharpe,

Just to maybe add to that exciting and extensive to do list....

I was wondering if it might be possible to:
a) Add custom submenu buttons to the user chosen home menu choices
b) Configure the order of submenu buttons on all submenus.

To explain a) further:
I have a home menu entry for the youtube addon. Unfortunately my connection is too crap to have torrents proceeding on one PC while I stream youtube on the other.
For that reason I need to pause my torrents when watching youtube vids.

At the moment I have put a shortcut to the utorrent controller addon under TV shows. However it would be much more logical to have it under my youtube home menu entry - at the moment there is no way of doing that through the skin options.

Perhaps these are problematic changes and there's a reason why you haven't implemented them before - but if not I think it would be very cool to add this extra "configurability" Smile

Thanks!

Incidentally, on the subject of the utorrent controller. Is this something you / a lot of people use? If so I reckon it's crying out for some skin integration as ATM its not very user friendly. (To pause "all torrents" you have to select a single torrent and then bring up the context menu).
I have no idea if many people would be interested in this, or if it's even possible at skin level, but a simple submenu button to pause/unpause all torrents would be a massive boon to me. May be of no interest to you, but just throwing it out there Wink

Edit - Actually I suppose by far the easiest way to achieve this would be via a change to the utorrent addon. If "pause/resume all torrents" could be chosen as a favourite then the task of adding this as a button would already be possible with Backrow. I made the request about the utrrent addon here

Cheers kiboy6 - I don't really use torrents but it's always worth checking out I suppose.

I will look into custom submenus for the custom home shortcuts.

- kiboy6 - 2011-06-01

Hi Sharpe,

Been thinking about one more feature request to add to the list!

When watching a movie I like to recreate the cinema experience as much as possible. That means I am reluctant to pause / rewind etc unless I have to.

However, when I do have to do so I would love the option to not see anything to do with the running time, or the actual time. It would be great to have an optional navigation theme which just showed a symbol for pause / rewind / skip etc without any indication of how much movie has elapsed or remains, or what the actual time is.

This would be especially invaluable when watching a downloaded sporting event you don't know the result of - often the running time can be a big giveaway of what the result might be.

Again, don't know if you/others would share my desire for this, but thought I would throw it out there, as personally I think it would be a cool optional change to the XBMC experience.

Thanks so much as ever Smile

- Sharpe - 2011-06-01

kiboy6 Wrote:Hi Sharpe,

Been thinking about one more feature request to add to the list!

When watching a movie I like to recreate the cinema experience as much as possible. That means I am reluctant to pause / rewind etc unless I have to.

However, when I do have to do so I would love the option to not see anything to do with the running time, or the actual time. It would be great to have an optional navigation theme which just showed a symbol for pause / rewind / skip etc without any indication of how much movie has elapsed or remains, or what the actual time is.

This would be especially invaluable when watching a downloaded sporting event you don't know the result of - often the running time can be a big giveaway of what the result might be.

Again, don't know if you/others would share my desire for this, but thought I would throw it out there, as personally I think it would be a cool optional change to the XBMC experience.

Thanks so much as ever Smile

Really? I guess it could be another option - see what people think.

At the moment I've had my head down a bit as I'm busily working through the skin to make everything HD - should be done with that soon.

- kiboy6 - 2011-06-01

Haha - well maybe I'm more anal that the average home movie watcher - but if I have to pause /rewind a movie, I prefer for it to remain a mystery how much is left - helps preserve the suspension of disbelief for me Smile

The use of this feature would be less idiosyncratic for downloaded sports events however. For example: I recently DLed the Pacquiao vs Mosley fight and had to keep covering up the top bar of the screen if I paused it so I wouldn't get a major clue about what round it might end in. Same for football with the possibility of extra time, # of sets in tennis etc.

Anyway good luck with all the HD work for now Smile

Cheers!

- mcoto - 2011-06-02

I like having the time when I pause etc. I especially like knowing exactly when the movie will end so if its late I can start looking for a reasonable break time or if the kids want to watch a movie I can plan their bed time properly.

One feature I'd like is a HD filter for my movies. I have duplicates of several films (I still use the original xbox in a couple of rooms)

Thanks again for all the hard work. Especially thanks for the new SVN for the dailys. I had to upgrade to a more recent version and I really missed back row on that TV

M

- Sharpe - 2011-06-02

mcoto Wrote:I like having the time when I pause etc. I especially like knowing exactly when the movie will end so if its late I can start looking for a reasonable break time or if the kids want to watch a movie I can plan their bed time properly.

One feature I'd like is a HD filter for my movies. I have duplicates of several films (I still use the original xbox in a couple of rooms)

Thanks again for all the hard work. Especially thanks for the new SVN for the dailys. I had to upgrade to a more recent version and I really missed back row on that TV

M

Oh you're very welcome mate Smile

Have you tried making a smart movie playlist just to show HD movies? Once you've done that you can make it a favourite then add it as an item on the main home controls or as a sub menu item - that's what I've done.