Kodi Community Forum
Notify - iPhone Notification App for XBMC (send push notifications to XBMC) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Notify - iPhone Notification App for XBMC (send push notifications to XBMC) (/showthread.php?tid=64545)

- Cloaky - 2010-02-03

It would also be cool if you could send among with the Call* events if the phone is at silent mode or not

- kurnalbert - 2010-02-03

johoja Wrote:Hrm, I'm not sure. If there is an APP for OSX that does something similar. I would be more than happy to support it Smile .

I could add BASIC support for Pausing XBMC on video , etc. I like the EG Approach cause..it leaves it open to the enduser, and you can share scripts etc.

Like Cloaky is doing with ITunes.

I can't think of anything in OSX that's similar, but I'll keep an eye out. If you could add in even basic support for pausing XBMC on receiving a call that would be great. I usually use my iPhone as an XBMC remote and when a call comes in the app closes and I have to run and find a keyboard to pause else the person on the other end of the phone will never be able to hear me!

- johoja - 2010-02-03

kurnalbert Wrote:I can't think of anything in OSX that's similar, but I'll keep an eye out. If you could add in even basic support for pausing XBMC on receiving a call that would be great. I usually use my iPhone as an XBMC remote and when a call comes in the app closes and I have to run and find a keyboard to pause else the person on the other end of the phone will never be able to hear me!

Ok, I'll try and add something basic in for the next rls.

- johoja - 2010-02-03

Cloaky Wrote:It would also be cool if you could send among with the Call* events if the phone is at silent mode or not

I can see, what would the benefit be for that...out of curiosity?

- Cloaky - 2010-02-03

johoja Wrote:I can see, what would the benefit be for that...out of curiosity?
Well, I don't really need both to ring, pc and iphone, so if the iphone is at the silent mode the pc should play a sound, otherwise just iphone.

Also i need a little help over here http://pastebin.com/d4ac4855a

i am trying to save some variable that would keep it value during different even calls, this is what i mean, for each event it runs the script once, right? so lets say i store the value 3 for 'aaa' during a CallIncoming however i won't be able to read 3 form 'aaa' at the CallEnd, got my point? any idea of how i can bypass this? At the script i made, everything is working good, the only problem is that if you were not listening to a music when u accept a call it will still play once u end the call.

Thanks

- Fofer - 2010-02-03

johoja Wrote:Is everyone able to activate okay...?

Mine activated fine. I'm now on 1.32, working really well with Mac/Growl. Again, THANK YOU!

I switched from using my external IP address over to notify.io... and that's working really well, too. I'm excited that it'll now work wherever I am at (and not just my home network.) The flexibility this affords is awesome.

I set up notify.io's alerts with a custom iPhone icon, makes the resulting Growl alerts look really slick (at least until Mac Growl is updated and supports the receiving of user pictures, correct?)

Now I'm wondering if this framework would allow for separate styles of alerts (with separate icons) for SMS/Text/Push/Email. Just a silly wish, I suppose.

Now to tell everyone I know about this...

- Fofer - 2010-02-03

johoja Wrote:Just out of curiosity, I'm thinking of also porting this over to the Android platform in the near future, what do you guys think?

Sure, that'd be nice, for our Android brethren... so long as it doesn't detract from you also bringing new greatness to the iPhone version, haha...

But seriously, it can only help to broaden the base of this functionality. I'm always keeping my eye out for new smartphones. If the next iPhone is more difficult/impossible to jailbreak, for example, I'll probably move over to Android. And the first thing I'd want to do is get something like Notify Pro working!

So, count me in as supportive of that idea...

- johoja - 2010-02-03

Cloaky Wrote:Well, I don't really need both to ring, pc and iphone, so if the iphone is at the silent mode the pc should play a sound, otherwise just iphone.

i am trying to save some variable that would keep it value during different even calls, this is what i mean, for each event it runs the script once, right? so lets say i store the value 3 for 'aaa' during a CallIncoming however i won't be able to read 3 form 'aaa' at the CallEnd, got my point? any idea of how i can bypass this? At the script i made, everything is working good, the only problem is that if you were not listening to a music when u accept a call it will still play once u end the call.

Thanks

Hrm...it sucky that their PlayerState doesn't specify weather its Paused or Stopped Sad that's pretty stupid eh?

I'll figure it out, I think I have an idea.

You could always write the variable to a file , and read it...but thats silly..I think I know another way around using the iTunes interface. Gime awhile to work it out.

- johoja - 2010-02-03

Fofer Wrote:Mine activated fine. I'm now on 1.32, working really well with Mac/Growl. Again, THANK YOU!

I set up notify.io's alerts with a custom iPhone icon, makes the resulting Growl alerts look really slick (at least until Mac Growl is updated and supports the receiving of user pictures, correct?)

Yes it's also possible that notify.io's client Nio, might support Picutres, currently they only allow you to specify a URL, I've put in a request for Nio the client to support receiving the actual data, which is what I do on Growl for Windows. Hopefully when they have time they will look into it.

Now I'm wondering if this framework would allow for separate styles of alerts (with separate icons) for SMS/Text/Push/Email. Just a silly wish, I suppose.

That would be cool, I'd put in a request thats something that can be done on Growl, I didn't see support for that in the notify.io API, if there was I would have added it.

(I would guess they would have to have a new field when I send the notification to them specifying what type of notification it is...or something like that).

Now to tell everyone I know about this..

Please do..if your feeling kind maybe you can make a video on setting up Notify.io on a Mac Smile

- Fofer - 2010-02-03

johoja Wrote:Yes it's also possible that notify.io's client Nio, might support Picutres, currently they only allow you to specify a URL

Well, Website URL as well as Icon URL -- which is how I customized my Nio/Growl alerts, with this one:

But I am curious what the specifying of URL is actually for? What is the purpose of entering a URL there? Clicking the Growl alert only makes it disappear, it doesn't take me to any website, even if I populate that "Website URL" field. So I'm just wondering...

- Fofer - 2010-02-03

johoja Wrote:Yes it's also possible that notify.io's client Nio, might support Picutres, currently they only allow you to specify a URL, I've put in a request for Nio the client to support receiving the actual data,

Great, thanks...

johoja Wrote:That would be cool, I'd put in a request thats something that can be done on Growl

Thanks for this too.

johoja Wrote:Please do..if your feeling kind maybe you can make a video on setting up Notify.io on a Mac Smile

Okay, I'll try to do that, or write up a detailed how-to. I have to say, setup wasn't too bad... the verbiage on drop.io's site isn't 100% straightforward, but I was able to figure it out. In time I suspect their site will be more refined... eventually it'll certainly be easier than trying to walk someone through the external IP/internal IP/port forwarding/static DHCP reservation/WiFi-vs.-data setup... and it's obviously more versatile in the long run, too.

- johoja - 2010-02-03

Cloaky Wrote:Well, I don't really need both to ring, pc and iphone, so if the iphone is at the silent mode the pc should play a sound, otherwise just iphone.

Thanks

So you can use :

eg.globals.myOtherVar = "Hello World"

and print eg.globals.myOtherVar , across scripts in EG.

http://www.eventghost.org/docs/scripting.html

I tried to add it to your script, I can't test it right now but...here it is :

http://pastebin.com/m1c0d3ec7

- johoja - 2010-02-03

On a seperate note.

The issues I raised with the Boxee team have been resolved, they've fixed the bugs that I found when using the Boxee HTTP API (same as XBMC's) but there's was buggy out of the box.

So when the next release rolls around for Boxee setting up Notify should be exactly the same as setting it up with XBMC. Smile

- Fofer - 2010-02-03

Regarding my switchover to notify.io:

One side benefit is that the notify.io site has a list of alert history, so I can review those push alerts I often dismissed too quickly off the iPhone accidentally when waking up or otherwise (like AP Wire alerts) and previously had no way of reviewing. Love that. Smile

- Fofer - 2010-02-03

As I mentioned above, I customized the icon that displays in my Growl alerts (using this icon).

I also customized Nio's menu extra with a b/w "cloud" Image (instead of the yellow "smiley face" they're using for the alpha release) -- that was rather distracting.

Now I'm on the lookout for a more elegant (grayscale?) alert icon, or perhaps a subtle exclamation point.