Kodi Community Forum
Notify - iPhone Notification App for XBMC (send push notifications to XBMC) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Notify - iPhone Notification App for XBMC (send push notifications to XBMC) (/showthread.php?tid=64545)

- Pr.Sinister - 2010-01-03

drivesoslow Wrote:Also multiple hosts would be awesome

i second that... It would be nice to have it display on the Living Room XBMC
and bedroom XBMC without having to modify the IP all the time and respring.

-Pr.

hotlobster Wrote:Imagine , you are with your official gf and then you receive a sms from a hot babe your not supposed to speak with, printed in the middle of your screen... I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who'd like to avoid those kind of situations Smile

I was just thinking about that! Sometimes i get SMS's from women who aren't
my girlfriend and they are quite steamy or say something like "last night was
great" when i was supposed to play Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 with the boys.

Not sure how we would handle this but here are 2 suggestions :

1) Have a "Safe Mode" toggle where all SMS's just come in as "New SMS From (xxx) xxx-xxxx"
without the actual message or name

2) Hook in to the Contacts somehow and be able to tag or add selected contacts
to an unsafe list. When those contacts SMS, have the notification be just
"New SMS from (xxx) xxx-xxxx"

Not sure if #2 is possible but #1 seams feasable...

-Pr.

drivesoslow Wrote:Sending to multiple hosts

Actually, if it could have a toggle to send to multiple hosts or send to just one
of the listed ones, that's would be awesome. That way if my GF is watching something
in the bedroom and i am in the living room, i can receive uncensored messages
for my eyes only Smile

-Pr.

- johoja - 2010-01-03

Pr.Sinister Wrote:Actually, if it could have a toggle to send to multiple hosts or send to just one
of the listed ones, that's would be awesome. That way if my GF is watching something
in the bedroom and i am in the living room, i can receive uncensored messages
for my eyes only Smile

-Pr.

I'll work on that next, I'll see what I can do.

- sPOiDar - 2010-01-03

johoja Wrote:I'll work on that next, I'll see what I can do.

Thinking about this, as far as the UI goes, ideally you'd just start with an empty list view, and an 'Add' button, which when pressed allows entering of a hostname:port (or ip:port), username, password, and the list of toggles for data to be monitored. This means that individual hosts could receive different types of messages. You'd obviously also need an edit button, so that you can modify and remove hosts from the list.

As a wishlist item, I was also thinking you could add an option to send notifications via email - there are a number of scenarios where this would be very useful, and you could re-use the majority of your code. Expanding on the previous UI concept, you would select a host type (XBMC/Mail) on the first screen of the 'Add' dialog, then display either the previous set of options (hostname:port, etc) if the 'XBMC' host type is selected, or display a select box allowing the user to choose a configured email account to send from, then a destination address to send the notifications, and the list of toggles for data sources when the 'Mail' type is selected. The hosts in the main list view could be displayed with an icon denoting the type of host.

This is actually where I thought you were going with the 'email notifications'. There are so many ways this would be useful, and even more so if it included my previous suggestion of sending the location data in the email, so you know where your phone was when the call/sms/push was received.

I realize this will probably require some refactoring of your code, but if it's done right, you could then easily add more host types down the line, to make this an extremely powerful notification application.

One final suggestion - have you thought about using PreferenceLoader instead of an application icon? Since there is no actual application UI here, it really should just be configured via the Settings app (and one less icon is good for everyone ;) ).

- johoja - 2010-01-03

sPOiDar Wrote:Thinking about this, as far as the UI goes, ideally you'd just start with an empty list view, and an 'Add' button, which when pressed allows entering of a hostname:port (or ip:port), username, password, and the list of toggles for data to be monitored. This means that individual hosts could receive different types of messages. You'd obviously also need an edit button, so that you can modify and remove hosts from the list.

That's a really good idea, I already got the Add button, with the edit/delete working last night. I like the idea of having the types of notifications host specific though. I'll add that as well

sPOiDar Wrote:As a wishlist item, I was also thinking you could add an option to send notifications via email - there are a number of scenarios where this would be very useful, and you could re-use the majority of your code. Expanding on the previous UI concept, you would select a host type (XBMC/Mail) on the first screen of the 'Add' dialog, then display either the previous set of options (hostname:port, etc) if the 'XBMC' host type is selected, or display a select box allowing the user to choose a configured email account to send from, then a destination address to send the notifications, and the list of toggles for data sources when the 'Mail' type is selected. The hosts in the main list view could be displayed with an icon denoting the type of host.

I actually already planned to support multiple devices, and host types. Which is why I called the app Notify as opposed to XBMCNotify. Smile. But I want to finish the up the rest of the stuff first, and then focus on other devices/host types. Suggestions for what they should be are always welcome since XBMC is all I use, and now Mail Notifications is on the list as well.

I'm open to more ideas, I'm thinking sending a growl notification might be useful as well so I'm probably going to add that too. Only reason I did XBMC first is because I needed it, and the community is pretty good.

sPOiDar Wrote:I realize this will probably require some refactoring of your code, but if it's done right, you could then easily add more host types down the line, to make this an extremely powerful notification application.

Already did a lot of the refactoring necessary in 1.5 Smile.

sPOiDar Wrote:One final suggestion - have you thought about using PreferenceLoader instead of an application icon? Since there is no actual application UI here, it really should just be configured via the Settings app (and one less icon is good for everyone Wink ).

I did, but I decided not too. I'm not sure if it's possible to do zeroconf type configurations through the PrefrencesLoader, as that would some code, and it's something I want to add in the near future. (ZeroConf finds and detects devices XBMC included and will set them up automatically.)

I appreciate the suggestions and the feedback.

- moontan77 - 2010-01-03

should this work on wifi? dont have 3g or edge (bought the iphone in another country)

Have the confluence skin with an xbmc build from 24th Dec 2009. Xbox ip is 192.168.1.13.

Allow control of xbmc via http is ticked, port is 8080, username and password are xbmc.

In the notify app, ip is 192.168.1.13:8080, username and password are xbmc.

Have wifi signal on phone when i receive a text but nothing appears on my tv screen.

Am I doing something stupid above?

- rickardkk - 2010-01-03

Looks like a great little app (not tested yet)

I've just started out trying to get media playback to pause in XBMC on incoming call to my iPhone (using EventGhost and Bluetooth).

But this app seems like a better way to go...

But it would be great if it could be of use with EventGhost (the TCP Network Receiver).

If you could just send all data available and pick it up in EventGhost (on incoming call and SMS) you could do all kind of home automation based on this.

Example:

Incoming call
All data passed to EventGhost
EventGhost checks what kind of media that is played in XBMC.
If Video
Pause playback and pass phone number and name as a message to XBMC.
If Audio
Check your A/V Receiver volume
If Volume > x
Dim volume to x

etc etc

- sPOiDar - 2010-01-04

johoja Wrote:I'm open to more ideas, I'm thinking sending a growl notification might be useful as well so I'm probably going to add that too.
Yeah, growl is certainly a good fit.

johoja Wrote:I did, but I decided not too. I'm not sure if it's possible to do zeroconf type configurations through the PrefrencesLoader, as that would some code, and it's something I want to add in the near future. (ZeroConf finds and detects devices XBMC included and will set them up automatically.
PreferenceLoader allows you to call a bundle containing custom screens that can execute code, check here for an example, and demo bundle.

- sPOiDar - 2010-01-04

moontan77 Wrote:Have the confluence skin with an xbmc build from 24th Dec 2009.
<snip>
Have wifi signal on phone when i receive a text but nothing appears on my tv screen.

Can you do me a favour, and try opening the following URL in your browser:

Code:
http://192.168.1.13:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=SetResponseFormat()

And then testing Notify?

- johoja - 2010-01-04

There's been a bit of a setback, I was ready to have 1.7 out the door but unfortunately I was keeping my source files on my iPhone, and decided to do a Reset Network Settings while I was at the airport (and out of the country) which led me to a "Stuck on Apple Logo" scenario, and not having backed up to iTunes ever since I strarted development.

I ended up having to do a restore, and did my best to try and recover the files by trying to follow this guide :

http://modmyi.com/forums/file-mods/237321-how-iphone-data-recovery.html

Long story short, I will have to re-write Notify from scratch so it will take a couple of days to get back to where I was.

The good news is, I know Obj-C a lot better now and have a better idea of how to program on the iPhone, and I remember all the undocumented 'tricks' that I did to get it to work.

I do have the 1.7 binaries, but I don't feel comfortable releasing a binary which I won't be able to support.

Lesson learned don't do drastic things on your phone without having a recent backup in iTunes Smile.

Sorry guys. I'll still be adding all the features, etc. It will just be a while since I'm now back at my real job as well. The next version will be Notify Pro a paid app. Which will have all the features of Notify 1.5 ( plus whatever else is listed in the todo , or what I've said I will add in this thread) Plus anything else I add.

Notify will remain free but remain at version 1.5.

- moontan77 - 2010-01-05

sPOiDar Wrote:Can you do me a favour, and try opening the following URL in your browser:

Code:
http://192.168.1.13:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=SetResponseFormat()

And then testing Notify?

hi, its says ok in the web browser but still nothing when i receive a text.

Must not work with the build I am using from Dec 24th 09.

- stoli - 2010-01-05

johoja Wrote:Long story short, I will have to re-write Notify from scratch so it will take a couple of days to get back to where I was.

Ouch. I think we have all been there and done that in one form or another.

Looking forward to the pro version.

- johoja - 2010-01-05

moontan77 Wrote:hi, its says ok in the web browser but still nothing when i receive a text.

Must not work with the build I am using from Dec 24th 09.

That should be fine, which skin are you using?

Did you try this :

http://xbox/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=ExecBuiltIn(Notification(WARNING,SHUTTING%20DOWN%20SYSTEM!))

Did that work?

- sPOiDar - 2010-01-05

johoja Wrote:Did you try this :

http://xbox/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=ExecBuiltIn(Notification(WARNING,SHUTTING%20DOWN%20SYSTEM!))

Did that work?

The forum eats URLs, and notify won't work without a timeout, here's the URL to try:

Code:
http://192.168.1.13:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=ExecBuiltIn(Notification(This is a test message%2C15000))