Kodi Community Forum
XBMC CrystalHD branch on a USB stick - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: XBMC CrystalHD branch on a USB stick (/showthread.php?tid=64634)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

- DrPepper - 2010-01-03

I installed it everythink works fine, however , how do I access my Harddrive to watch the movies ?
They are all on the internal harddrive of the Apple TV.

Thanks in advance

DrPepper

- goon - 2010-01-03

ok I got the usb stick installed and everything is running smooth. I have a few quetions though.
The remote functions remain the same, right? I mean I cant map more than the ir signals than the appletv remote has.

2. where can I change the remote functions on this.example(remove the +- volume function, to add 10 min skip function). i did this on the osx appletv version and I love it.Or even better, add logitech remote.

3.I cant update it. i keep getting error 404 on the ssh page.

3-1. Can I update it manually, I've already downloaded the xbmc_r25946.tar.gz

I like the usb stick idea it's much simpler than installing xbmc into the appletv.
Thanks to the geniuses that made this possible.

this is what I get

xbmc@atv:~$ cd /
xbmc@atv:/$ wget http://s150912529.onlinehome.us/quack/xbmc_r25946.tar.gz
--14:39:02-- http://s150912529.onlinehome.us/quack/xbmc_r25946.tar.gz
=> `xbmc_r25946.tar.gz'
Resolving s150912529.onlinehome.us... 74.208.84.182
Connecting to s150912529.onlinehome.us|74.208.84.182|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 82,549,070 (79M) [application/x-tar]
xbmc_r25946.tar.gz: Permission denied

Cannot write to `xbmc_r25946.tar.gz' (Permission denied).
xbmc@atv:/$ sudo tar zxvf xbmc_r25946.tar.gz && rm -f xbmc_r25946.tar.gz

- DrPepper - 2010-01-03

Got another issue !

Found the Hardrive , that's ok (my mistake)

However , XBMC suddenly just goes into Ubuntu. Than I am stuck at the Ubuntu login screen. Only thing left to do is reboot , or am i mistaken ?

Any help is much appreciated .

Thanks

DrPepper

- terrier2006 - 2010-01-03

DrPepper Wrote:Got another issue !

Found the Hardrive , that's ok (my mistake)

However , XBMC suddenly just goes into Ubuntu. Than I am stuck at the Ubuntu login screen. Only thing left to do is reboot , or am i mistaken ?

Any help is much appreciated .

Thanks

DrPepper

Look Here Page 8 of this thread

- DrPepper - 2010-01-03

Thanks , but the question is why is it crashing ?

plus I would like to copy other stuff to my harddrive in /media/pata/Scratch/Users/frontrow/Movies

However I seem not to have the correct permission rights to do so.

How can I change that ?

Thanks

DrPepper

- nikiiv - 2010-01-04

Guys, why don't you post another image with upgraded alsa and correct nvidia drivers..

- nick8539 - 2010-01-04

I have a rather large library, but I find that Rapier 1.6 (the first version he released) works the fastest. I use it in thumbnail view and can easily scan through my movies pretty well.

I will try Alaska as well now and see which works best.

- TeknoJnky - 2010-01-05

How many others would be interested in an appletv specific arch (or ubuntu if arch not possible) linux minimal + xbmc + crystalhd/bcm image (or script/howto) ?

absolute minimal linux server supporting;
boot directly to xbmc, no x desktop etc
latest crystalhd drivers/lib/etc
working hdmi audio (nv 100/alsa 1.0.21)
evinyatar's atvclient
ssh/smb services
any necessary tweaks/optimizations (cpufreq, etc)
ability to update and compile from svn with all necessary dependancies
support both usb stick and internal drive installation

And would anyone have the expertise, time and patience to support and perfect it?

- goon - 2010-01-05

I would love that. As it is I came from xbox that only booted up to xbmc for the videos and music. I would prefer the usb stick, it's so easy to do. Unfortunately I suck at linux. Having said that , I'm willing to throw anything you got at my ATV. You should make a poll to see how many people would be interested

- Winkie - 2010-01-05

TeknoJnky Wrote:How many others would be interested in an appletv specific arch (or ubuntu if arch not possible) linux minimal + xbmc + crystalhd/bcm image (or script/howto) ?

absolute minimal linux server supporting;
boot directly to xbmc, no x desktop etc
latest crystalhd drivers/lib/etc
working hdmi audio (nv 100/alsa 1.0.21)
evinyatar's atvclient
ssh/smb services
any necessary tweaks/optimizations (cpufreq, etc)
ability to update and compile from svn with all necessary dependancies
support both usb stick and internal drive installation

And would anyone have the expertise, time and patience to support and perfect it?

Hi TeknoJnky,
I would love that on a USB stick. I have been looking into trying something like that myself - but being a windows SysAdmin I am starting from scratch with Linux - and keep having to refer to the almighty Google when I get something wrong (happens a lot).

If someone could at least get a reasonable image up and going (preferably less than 4GB (3 would be better) ) I would be happy to try it out and provide tweaks. I used to be good with the remote control - but will have to learn it again given the new schema - but that easy *grin*.

Cheers,
Winkie

- pin87a - 2010-01-05

goon Wrote:2. where can I change the remote functions on this.example(remove the +- volume function, to add 10 min skip function). i did this on the osx appletv version and I love it.

Code:
cd /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/
cp /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/joystick.AppleRemote.xml .
(or usr/local depending on where it's installed)
edit joystick.AppleRemote.xml (nano/vim/whatever) to change button id 1 and 2 under FullscreenVideo to BigStepForward and BigStepBack.

- JerryV - 2010-01-05

TeknoJnky Wrote:How many others would be interested in an appletv specific arch (or ubuntu if arch not possible) linux minimal + xbmc + crystalhd/bcm image (or script/howto) ?
Me! NodNodNod

Love the work so far guys, cheers!

- Roders - 2010-01-05

Hell yes.

- goon - 2010-01-05

I cant seem to write anything to it. I'm using the usb stick.
never mind. I got it to write, but there was nothing there to begin with. But I had a back up of it so I just put it there and in the usb stick. One of them worked. Thanks

- TeknoJnky - 2010-01-05

pin87a Wrote:I have hdmi audio working on my ATV. I did a hard drive install, but the process should be the same.

You will need to use the the following Nvidia driver: 100.14.23

I tried installing that driver all I get is a blank screen that dumps to tty1.

I can do the following and then I get pink desktop (or hard lock up) but when I reboot I start at tty1 again.

Quote:sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

sudo modprobe -rv nvidia
sudo modprobe -v nvidia

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

I tried envyng and got the drivers removed and got the default desktop again, then used the envyng auto install and it picked 173.14.12 drivers which seem to be working.