Kodi Community Forum
3DTV Support - Play "3D" Movies in XBMC plus have GUI / OSD and subtitles just work? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: 3DTV Support - Play "3D" Movies in XBMC plus have GUI / OSD and subtitles just work? (/showthread.php?tid=66970)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

- poofyhairguy - 2010-12-30

Yalla-One Wrote:Have I understood it correct if the only reason for XBMC not being able to display for instance Avatar 3D perfectly in full 1080P best display-mode is lack of full 3D-support in FFMPEG? And the only reason for why PowerDVD and Total Media Theatre works is that they have 3D-support built-in where FFMPEG doesn't?

Yes basically.

Quote:And if that was correct, then once FFMPEG is upgraded, a 3D-capable HTPC should be able to display a 3D Matroska container just as perfectly over HDMI 1.4 as a high-end BluRay player?

Hopefully.

Quote:Or are there other factors present as well, such as a need for 3D-support in the XBMC codebase itself as well (ie for menus etc?) - if so - isn't that just looks, as the important part is the movie itself?

The menu is more than cosmetic. Without 3D menu support there is no decent 3D subtitle support. I have found that out with Avatar rips myself.

- Vultures - 2010-12-30

MJFox Wrote:is it me or is TMT the slowest player ever?
(my HTPC is a Core 2 Duo E6600, so it's not the slowest machine in the world)
does anybody know a decent player that can play 3D-ISOS? tried PowerDVD and WinOnDVD and they are even worse...
MJFox

I think videocard matters much more than CPU. You need something relatively new to play MVC. Besides, file should be on the local drive. At least for 50 GB ISOs.

- Yalla-One - 2010-12-31

Thanks much!

poofyhairguy Wrote:The menu is more than cosmetic. Without 3D menu support there is no decent 3D subtitle support. I have found that out with Avatar rips myself.

Being very new here I might have searched the wrong places, but judging by these threads, 3D support in XBMC seems to be gaining quite a lot of interest lately, but I have not found a single place outside these informal threads to voice the need for such support. Is there anywhere the requests and wishes for 3D-support for menus/subtitles in XBMC can be voted for and perhaps one can even offer bounties?

And while this might not be the right place - is there a similar place for FFMPEG to wish/vote/"bribe" towards 3D-support there?

-y1

- MJFox - 2010-12-31

Vultures Wrote:I think videocard matters much more than CPU. You need something relatively new to play MVC. Besides, file should be on the local drive. At least for 50 GB ISOs.

videocard is a Zotac GeForce GT 430... but yes, the files are on a network share so maybe that's the problem

greetings

MJFox

- CrystalP - 2010-12-31

@poofyhairguy, I'm intrigued by the playback quality difference between the Samsung BluRay player and xbmc/boxee. Were you able by any chance to pin down how it happens?

They both start with the same file, so the difference is either in the decoding or in postprocessing. Or maybe it engages some special processing in the TV?

Does software playback vs accelerated make a difference? What about the different scalers with software decode? A difference visible in 3D is probably also visible when displaying side-by-side in 2D, anything of interest there?

There is no post-processing explicitely done by XBMC when hardware accel is active, but nvidia is known to insert some postprocessing anyway...

- poofyhairguy - 2011-01-01

CrystalP Wrote:@poofyhairguy, I'm intrigued by the playback quality difference between the Samsung BluRay player and xbmc/boxee. Were you able by any chance to pin down how it happens?

Not 100%, but I am pretty sure it is a post-processing problem.

I don't think its on the TV's end, or otherwise I would get the same results from my Samsung Blu Ray player as I do just playing the files on the TV.

I did try using my Windows DS Player build, and when I turned off all post-processing in FFDSHOW I was able to get quality 3D. I know that this is not a good solution though.

I am in the process of shifting some hardware around so my primary box can play the files without a GPU just for this reason. Once I try CPU decoding I will get back to you.

- boston85 - 2011-01-03

Loving this thread, lots of good Info, getting a 3D replacement tomorrow from Mitsubishi. My 2007 Mtis DLP had its chip fail so im getting a 3D set as a replacement.

Have the same setup as most of you, HTPC-Dharma a PS3 etc. Would love to get the SBS MKV's to play and look good, got a couple of them ready to go.

Hope it looks good but from what ive read there's a need for improvement. Lets hope we get some support for 3D in XBMC as more of us get 3D sets

- bae0 - 2011-01-06

XBMC is outputting video for me no problems.

SBS video outputting to LG 50PX990 @ 1920x1080. It unfortunatly does not put it into 3D SBS mode, it needs to be manually set on the TV (no major worries (one button).

Having to run optical out to my ONKYO SR507 due to it not supporting 3D.

I am using a ASROCK ION 330BDHT.

M

- boston85 - 2011-01-07

Just tested Avatar on my Mits 73738, not to bad I must say, manually had it on SBS. The resolution isnt top notch but I was pretty happy with it

- steve1977 - 2011-01-09

poofyhairguy Wrote:Ok, under advice from a member of this forum I tried using my Samsung DVD player to play 3D half SBS movies and the quality is DRAMATICALLY better than Dharma XBMC. WAY less crosstalk and better colors.

In fact, it is so much better that I will declare XBMC (or at least FFMPEG) to be NOT 3D compatible.

A bit off-topic, but curious how you play half-SBS files on your DVD player. Do you burn them on bluray disk or does this Samsung player allow to stream from a NAS?

- poofyhairguy - 2011-01-09

steve1977 Wrote:A bit off-topic, but curious how you play half-SBS files on your DVD player. Do you burn them on bluray disk or does this Samsung player allow to stream from a NAS?

Streaming from my NAS using DLNA software. Using Windows based stuff now, trying to get mediatomb to work.

- steve1977 - 2011-01-15

Pretty sure there is still strong interest in playing half-SBS through XBMC with (also with proper sub-titles). Was wondering whether there is any development ongoing or this is "on-hold" until there is more interest?

- bmcclure937 - 2011-01-17

There is plenty of interest... just not enough resources (meaning the developers need 3D capable equipment to test on if they are going to be able to develop all of this 3D functionality!)

- Mrkennedy - 2011-01-27

So the XBMC will play SBS 3D Files, but you need to select it to 3D and SBS via the remote?

But then the menu and everything else will look odd as the xbmc software itself does not support 3D at the present time?

- iainmacleod - 2011-01-27

Mrkennedy Wrote:So the XBMC will play SBS 3D Files, but you need to select it to 3D and SBS via the remote?

But then the menu and everything else will look odd as the xbmc software itself does not support 3D at the present time?

This is true for me, however I am not sure why it doesn't tell the TV to change mode automatically - I am using the GT430. As for the menu, close either eye to see the info Wink