Kodi Community Forum
3DTV Support - Play "3D" Movies in XBMC plus have GUI / OSD and subtitles just work? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: 3DTV Support - Play "3D" Movies in XBMC plus have GUI / OSD and subtitles just work? (/showthread.php?tid=66970)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

- trikong - 2011-02-08

Hi Guys. I've just written a Guide to play SBS 3D video in 3D mode on a 3D TV with external player that I hope some of you may find of use.

- poofyhairguy - 2011-02-16

Ok, I can confirm what I feared: Nvidia post-processing nearly destroys the 3D effect with half-SBS files. My system now has the power to completely decode Half SBS with the CPU, and in doing so both me and my wife agree that 3D quality is improved.

This means that anyone who wants to play 3D files needs to either look to another dedicated or software player, or use a system with enough CPU power to decode 1080p. Current systems that can do that are Mac Minis and Asrock Vision 3Ds...

- Vultures - 2011-02-16

Not good. Have you had an opportunity to test new intel CPUs? They are said to be 3D enabled.

Vultures Wrote:Not good. Have you had an opportunity to test new intel CPUs? They are said to be 3D enabled.

I have not. And honestly I have not tried AMD to see if their decoding does the same thing.

- lloydsmart - 2011-02-16

This is disappointing, to say the least, as I've just bought a Panasonic 50VT20!

On a not unrelated topic, is there currently any way to playback 3d bluray isos (not SBS but full rips) on Linux? I'd love to do it with XBMC actually, but I know that may be asking too much.

I've got a GT430 if that helps.

Please say I don't have to go over to the dark side (Windows)!

lloydsmart Wrote:This is disappointing, to say the least, as I've just bought a Panasonic 50VT20!

If your system can handle the CPU load, just disable VDPAU for when you play 3D files.

Quote:On a not unrelated topic, is there currently any way to playback 3d bluray isos (not SBS but full rips) on Linux? I'd love to do it with XBMC actually, but I know that may be asking too much.

I've got a GT430 if that helps.

Please say I don't have to go over to the dark side (Windows)!

Its a Windows only deal, and will be for the foreseeable future.

- lloydsmart - 2011-02-16

Thanks for the sound advice. Do you think an AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core Processor would be powerful enough? Also, I'll soon be building an HTPC with a Core i3-540, so I'd appreciate your opinion on that, too.

P.S. Does anyone know the cheapest place to get Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit) in the UK?

Thanks!

I would actually like to know if the Phenom can do it. I predict not due to low per-Core speeds, but it would be interesting to know for sure.

An i3 is the perfect amount of power, and what I recommend to do the job.

- iainmacleod - 2011-02-16

poofyhairguy Wrote:Ok, I can confirm what I feared: Nvidia post-processing nearly destroys the 3D effect with half-SBS files. My system now has the power to completely decode Half SBS with the CPU, and in doing so both me and my wife agree that 3D quality is improved.

This means that anyone who wants to play 3D files needs to either look to another dedicated or software player, or use a system with enough CPU power to decode 1080p. Current systems that can do that are Mac Minis and Asrock Vision 3Ds...

Why do I not believe this, you mean my GT430 is not appropriate for decoding half-SBS? Why would it be sold as a 3D caapable card, and therefore what are you suggesting is the best way to process - not VDPAU but processor? Kinda defeats the point in 3D hardware..

Can you please explain further. Thanks

- htpc-tac - 2011-02-16

poofyhairguy Wrote:Ok, I can confirm what I feared: Nvidia post-processing nearly destroys the 3D effect with half-SBS files. My system now has the power to completely decode Half SBS with the CPU, and in doing so both me and my wife agree that 3D quality is improved.

Hi poofyhairguy,
what do you mean with: Nvidia post-processing nearly destroys the 3D effect with half-SBS files ?
I have also some SBS files and trailers and I have a real good 3D effect with VDPAU on.
I use a Geforce 9500GT card connected to a Sony KDL-HX805.

- iainmacleod - 2011-02-25

*bump* No response to the last two comments?

- steve1977 - 2011-03-05

Any update on half-SBS in XBMC?

- heldchen - 2011-03-12

looking forward to xmbc implementing the boxee 3d features. while i don't mind the menus, mostly the subtitles (avatar, anyone?) are a problem currently while playing 3d content.

- poofyhairguy - 2011-03-12

MacLeod_1980 Wrote:Why do I not believe this, you mean my GT430 is not appropriate for decoding half-SBS? Why would it be sold as a 3D caapable card, and therefore what are you suggesting is the best way to process - not VDPAU but processor? Kinda defeats the point in 3D hardware..

Can you please explain further. Thanks

Sure I can explain further.

You see the GT430 IS a 3D capable card. What that means is when you are using 3D capable software (aka PowerDVD, not XBMC) it can go into a full 1080p 3D mode allowing you to play 3D Blu Rays like a 3D Blu Ray player can.

On the other hand, half-sbs is a hack. Its not even a real standard. What it is is half-resolution 3D that is encoded that way so it can playback on current 2D hardware. That is why you have to force your TV into 3D mode with half-sbs, while if you play a 3D Blu Ray with PowerDVD it does that for you.

What I imagine is happening is that the Nvidia driver performs differently in its true 3D mode. Maybe Nvidia turns down the post-processing, or maybe even its enhanced for 3D.

With a half-sbs file the Nvidia driver thinks its playing in 2D mode, hence it turns on its 2D post-processing.

Basically half-sbs is not real 3D. It is a hack because 3D is nasty now (incompatibles with HDMI 1.3 receivers, no unified 3D framework with AMD and NVidia, etc.) yet people want 3D. Technically you don't need a GT430 to play half-SBS files- any ION system (or GT210) has enough power.

What you are paying for with a GT430 is a true 3D mode that is only available with PowerDVD (and other software like it).

- poofyhairguy - 2011-03-12

htpc-tac Wrote:Hi poofyhairguy,
what do you mean with: Nvidia post-processing nearly destroys the 3D effect with half-SBS files ?
I have also some SBS files and trailers and I have a real good 3D effect with VDPAU on.
I use a Geforce 9500GT card connected to a Sony KDL-HX805.

It seems good, but then you compare it to alternatives (for me my Samsung TV can play the files directly) you quickly learn how off it is. With VDPAU the crosstalk is about as bad as it gets.