Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: [WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API) (/showthread.php?tid=67012)

- pettson3816 - 2011-08-10

Will this be available for XBMC for OSX as well?

- beatnec - 2011-08-10

akezeke Wrote:That should be .../akezeke/spotyxbmc2.git, I have now updated the readme Smile

"cant find xbmc.bin" means that the build failed, there should be an error message at the end of the make process, no?

There might be a dependency that are not installed correct or maybe there is some error in my code (compiled fine here 30 minutes ago).

thanks!

seems like i missed some error last night when i tried to install it the first time.
Today i managed to get it up an running!
But one problem remain... i have configured spotify but i dont manage to see the spotify library. i just cant enter the music library mode?
Its tricky to see what you are actually doing in the youtube clip...

Would be very helpfull if you can describe what you are actually pressing to get to the spotify part, and if there is any other settings that need to be configured in order to get to that view etc

Im so eager to get this stuff running Big Grin

- akezeke - 2011-08-10

beatnec Wrote:thanks!

seems like i missed some error last night when i tried to install it the first time.
Today i managed to get it up an running!
But one problem remain... i have configured spotify but i dont manage to see the spotify library. i just cant enter the music library mode?
Its tricky to see what you are actually doing in the youtube clip...

Would be very helpfull if you can describe what you are actually pressing to get to the spotify part, and if there is any other settings that need to be configured in order to get to that view etc

Im so eager to get this stuff running Big Grin

Just press left and select enable library, if its grayed out it means I missed the part that allows empty libraries, if so add a couple of mp3 and you are good to go. I will check the code if I missed the library stuff...

/David

- neoflex - 2011-08-10

for anybody willing to thank akezeke for his work, you can support him my sending a donation here : http://pledgie.com/campaigns/15827

- abandonow - 2011-08-10

Ive done a clean install of Ubuntu 11.04 (Desktop), and compiled and installed spotyxbmc2 with no errors.

I load up XBMC, goes in the music addons, set my username and password, saves, and then quit XBMC (as per instructions). I start it up, adds an music location and scans in some mp3's so I can enable the library. Library enabled and activated, but no spotify.

On the previous version I used, I got an spotify menu item along with albums, songs, etc.

How do I access the spotify menus? If I try to execute the addon, nothing happens (settings, etc. works fine) and now Im stuck.

A little help please? Smile

- akezeke - 2011-08-10

abandonow Wrote:Ive done a clean install of Ubuntu 11.04 (Desktop), and compiled and installed spotyxbmc2 with no errors.

I load up XBMC, goes in the music addons, set my username and password, saves, and then quit XBMC (as per instructions). I start it up, adds an music location and scans in some mp3's so I can enable the library. Library enabled and activated, but no spotify.

On the previous version I used, I got an spotify menu item along with albums, songs, etc.

How do I access the spotify menus? If I try to execute the addon, nothing happens (settings, etc. works fine) and now Im stuck.

A little help please? Smile

The spotify menus are gone, now it is all integrated in the ordinary menus, take a look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFSdxKyWXpU to see how it works.

/David

- abandonow - 2011-08-10

I am still missing all spotify menu elements. Pretty weird. I havent used starred songs in spotify, but starred som songs just to test. Still no go. Sad

Thanks for the youtube video, now I know how it is supposed to work.

Any idea whats wrong?

EDIT:
For some reason it looks like appkey.h is gone from the directory. Will try and compile again.

- akezeke - 2011-08-10

abandonow Wrote:I am still missing all spotify menu elements. Pretty weird. I havent used starred songs in spotify, but starred som songs just to test. Still no go. Sad

Thanks for the youtube video, now I know how it is supposed to work.

Any idea whats wrong?

Hm, might be that is has problem starting up, please start xbmc from a terminal and see if there are any error messages printed out.

And if you have not already make sure that "preload toplists" and "preload artists" are disabled in the addon settings, enabling that will take some time and if you are on a bad connection it can take a lot of time.

Also I have noticed sometimes that spotifys cache gets corrupt for no reason, it might help to delete it. Its located in ~/.xbmc/temp/spotify/cache

If that folder is not empty it means that it tries to do something atleast Smile

- abandonow - 2011-08-10

Now I have tried to recompile numerious times, but no go. I tried to remove the addons settings, the cache and at last the whole .xbmc directory – but still no go.

I tried putting appkey.h in "spotyxbmc2" directory, aswel as "spotyxbmc2/xbmc" and recompile. But that did not work either. I downloaded the source from the git hub multiple times to get a "fresh start" (almost) every time.

XBMC Terminal output:
http://pastebin.com/Ch8XxECF

XBMC Crashlog:
http://pastebin.com/2iRLRcsx

It looks like it connects to spotify fine as far as I can tell. Do I have to do something to Spotify, etc.? Any advice?

Thanks for your hard work akezeke, now all I need to do is to get it to work. Wink

EDIT: Typos, and btw. my connection is ~15mbit download and 5mbit upload.

- abandonow - 2011-08-11

Now it works, suddenly. I think I was to impatient – restarting xbmc before it showed up. I just let it sit there for a while, and YAY! it works! Smile

- akezeke - 2011-08-11

abandonow Wrote:Now it works, suddenly. I think I was to impatient – restarting xbmc before it showed up. I just let it sit there for a while, and YAY! it works! Smile

Glad you got it working, it seems from your log that you have a lot of starred tracks or playlists, in that case the loading time is longer. I have pushed some improvements of the starred albums loading, try if it is faster now. And also I'd like to know how the memory impact is for you?

- abandonow - 2011-08-11

I'm actually not sure if it's working 100%. It looks sort of random if it works or not – a little bit like the previous version (where you entered your username/password when you started XBMC). That version crashed 7 of 10 times after entering the credentials.

You can take a look at what files/connections xbmc.bin (output from lsof) uses on my system if you want:
http://pastebin.com/U2Gh3ucz

And about "starred" songs in spotify I find that weird as well, because that is an feature I havnt used afaik.

And do it need to download i.e the playlists on every xbmc launch, or is that buffered?

I can try to download and recompile the new version on my box at home, but I cant promise extensive testing since I'm at work. Smile

- akezeke - 2011-08-11

abandonow Wrote:I'm actually not sure if it's working 100%. It looks sort of random if it works or not – a little bit like the previous version (where you entered your username/password when you started XBMC). That version crashed 7 of 10 times after entering the credentials.

You can take a look at what files/connections xbmc.bin (output from lsof) uses on my system if you want:
http://pastebin.com/U2Gh3ucz

And about "starred" songs in spotify I find that weird as well, because that is an feature I havnt used afaik.

And do it need to download i.e the playlists on every xbmc launch, or is that buffered?

I can try to download and recompile the new version on my box at home, but I cant promise extensive testing since I'm at work. Smile

Hm ok, yeah well there are some issues still in there I guess, Here it works 100% of the time now so I dont know whats the problem with your setup.

It is not downloading playlists and starred items everytime it starts, it is cached by the spotify api (the files in ~/.xbmc/temp/spotify/cache) but is is "loading" them everytime.

I have not been able to check the xbmc thumb cache if it contains the thumbs already so the thumbs are saved to disc and might be recached by xbmc every time.

/David

- abandonow - 2011-08-11

I find it weird as well.

The reason I asked about the cache is that if I managed to get it working once, shouldn't the playlists etc. be there when xbmc finish loading? That's not the case with my box.

- akezeke - 2011-08-11

abandonow Wrote:I find it weird as well.

The reason I asked about the cache is that if I managed to get it working once, shouldn't the playlists etc. be there when xbmc finish loading? That's not the case with my box.

Yes they should but it might take some time anyway since it is waiting for the api to load stuff. Please run xbmc from terminal and keep looking at the prints, when it stops printing it should be done loading. If it stops for say 10-30 seconds and it is still not loaded please send me the last printouts.

And also please try with the latest push.