Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) (/showthread.php?tid=67420)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- Bugger - 2011-12-21

OK now I get you,....from within XBMC. But it didn't work. Once I click on the zip nothing happens. Checked to see if I have a Blu-ray folder in the video menu and just see the same as before: only video add-ons, E: my DVD player, or add a source. Sad

- magnetism - 2011-12-21

Well, since it's an addon, video add-ons sounds like a good place to go to.

- magnetism - 2011-12-21

Also, you did install makemkv, right?

- Bugger - 2011-12-21

magnetism Wrote:Well, since it's an addon, video add-ons sounds like a good place to go to.

Looked, but your plugin is not there. However, BluRay Player with MakeMKV is.

magnetism Wrote:Also, you did install makemkv, right?

In XBMC, I went to the settings menu, selected add-ons and then selected 'install from zipfile' and installed plugin.makemkvbluray. Seems like it installed properly, unlike the BluRay-plugin-v01a.

- pumkinut - 2011-12-21

You didn't answer the question. Did you install makemkv? That's a separate application. The plugin is just a script that calls makemkv and uses it's functionality to integrate the playback into XBMC. Seriously, you need to read the thread and get a better understanding of what you're doing.

- Bugger - 2011-12-21

pumkinut Wrote:You didn't answer the question. Did you install makemkv? That's a separate application.

Yes I did.

pumkinut Wrote:Seriously, you need to read the thread and get a better understanding of what you're doing.

I am reading it. But it seems that most users are using it under Linux which I know nothing of. That leads me to a lot of confusion.

- pumkinut - 2011-12-21

Quote:Yes I did.
Yes you installed makemkv, or yes you answered the question? Because you didn't answer the question.

When magnetism asked if you installed makemkv, your response was:
Quote:In XBMC, I went to the settings menu, selected add-ons and then selected 'install from zipfile' and installed plugin.makemkvbluray. Seems like it installed properly, unlike the BluRay-plugin-v01a.
Nowhere did you state that you installed makemkv, you installed a plugin that makes use of makemkv. There's a big and pretty obvious difference.
Quote:I am reading it. But it seems that most users are using it under Linux which I know nothing of. That leads me to a lot of confusion.
Howso? The process is the same. Install makemkv, install magnetism's plugin to use makemkv, and then go from there.

So, if you've installed makemkv, have you tested that it even works for you? I'd start there, and then work on familiarizing yourself with the XBMC plugin and getting that to work.

Edit:
I just downloaded the plugin from the first page, fired up XBMC under Windows 7, went to Settings->Add Ons->Install from zip file and installed the plugin. From there I went to Videos->Video Add-ons->BluRay Player with MakeMKV, it really is that simple. Now I also downloaded and installed MakeMKV from the author's website. Before firing up the plugin itself, I right clicked on it and chose "Add-On settings" and told it where to find the MakeMKV executable. After that, you just use it. Pretty much what the thread explains in the beginning. It's actually more difficult in Linux if using Ubuntu, because you have to compile the application before you can use it. This is all within the last 10 minutes since your last post.

- pumkinut - 2011-12-21

Quote:Looked, but your plugin is not there. However, BluRay Player with MakeMKV is.
That's the plugin.

- Bugger - 2011-12-21

That's all you had to do chum read what I wrote. I'm not sure if you were trying to help me or vent on me.

- pumkinut - 2011-12-21

See above

- Bugger - 2011-12-21

pumkinut Wrote:See above

Thanks but no thanks. Your help was not welcomed. :mad:

- pumkinut - 2011-12-21

I'm trying to help, but it's almost as if you're trying to be obtuse. You still haven't answered whether you even have MakeMKV installed.

Edit:
And when I said "See above" I literally meant for you to look at the post above yours where I pointed out that BluRay Player with MakeMKV is, in fact, the plugin.

- Bugger - 2011-12-21

I'm a noob and I asked for help. I was getting somewhere and then you shined in and judged that perhaps I'm trying to be obtuse. No sir I'm not and you made a very poor judgment call. I don't think I need help like that.

I've already answered that I installed MakeMKV. I did it first via it's executable. Then I thought perhaps it should be done within XBMC and went ahead and did that. But I figured out it was already there so that was redundant. Double checked and yes it is installed.

Let's just leave it at that. I'd prefer help from someone else.

- magnetism - 2011-12-21

pumkinut Wrote:Edit:
I just downloaded the plugin from the first page, fired up XBMC under Windows 7, went to Settings->Add Ons->Install from zip file and installed the plugin. From there I went to Videos->Video Add-ons->BluRay Player with MakeMKV, it really is that simple. Now I also downloaded and installed MakeMKV from the author's website. Before firing up the plugin itself, I right clicked on it and chose "Add-On settings" and told it where to find the MakeMKV executable. After that, you just use it. Pretty much what the thread explains in the beginning. It's actually more difficult in Linux if using Ubuntu, because you have to compile the application before you can use it. This is all within the last 10 minutes since your last post.

^^ This.

For someone looking for help, you're not helping us much.. Good luck.

- linuxluemmel - 2011-12-24

Has someone allready downloaded the source-code of the new makemkv 1.7.0 ?

It seems that the mysql database for the forum software where you can
download the code has chrashed ....

BTW : Happy X-MAS to all ;-)