Kodi Community Forum
Anyone else still struggling with ATI and about to change to nVidia? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Anyone else still struggling with ATI and about to change to nVidia? (/showthread.php?tid=68226)

Pages: 1 2

Anyone else still struggling with ATI and about to change to nVidia? - dteirney - 2010-01-23

I've about had enough of ATI. Thinking it might be easiest to just get a PCI-E nVidia card.

Here are the problems I still seem to be having. Anyone else on ATI have the same problems or am I doing something wrong?

1) I can't use the Advanced GL shaders for the Renderer. If I do, playback results in a smudgy blurry mess regardless of content type. This means I can't set to "Auto-Detect" because that seems to thing the Advanced GL shaders should work. I have to manually set to the Basic shaders.
2) If I turn on "Sync Playback to Display", as soon as I stop a video I get a black screen and nothing works from then on and I can't kill the xbmc.bin process. sudo kill -9 doesn't even manage to kill the process. I have to reboot the machine.

I've got an onboard HD3200 motherboard with HDMI out with the 9.12 Catalyst drivers.

- easi - 2010-01-23

Hi,

I got rid out of Ati several years ago. Their (no-)support for Unix is poor. Since I changed to Nvidia I have never had any problem with graphics.

Specially combination of Ubuntu & Nvidia GPU - never heard about problems...

So go for the change Rofl

- zosky - 2010-01-23

DO IT!! Rofl

i have the same card on-board & the same expereice.
i disabled it & dropped in a nVidia card for $100... & ill never go back

i found this article on gizmodo very helpful. the one i got is probebly overkill if upscaled SD or HD video playback is your only goal.

( i dual boot & get my frag on every now and then Wink &)
now i have perfect playback

- SlaveUnit - 2010-01-24

I thought I would never go back either. Until I realized that Nvidia cards dont give out the correct colorspace to most TVs (16-235) for the desktop. You can only adjust videos with overlays, which XBMC doesnt use.
I am having the same issues with the advanced shaders as well. So in my situation I am screwed either way.

- motd2k - 2010-01-25

SlaveUnit Wrote:I thought I would never go back either. Until I realized that Nvidia cards dont give out the correct colorspace to most TVs (16-235) for the desktop. You can only adjust videos with overlays, which XBMC doesnt use.
I am having the same issues with the advanced shaders as well. So in my situation I am screwed either way.

Use the 'VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion' option...

- Stu-e - 2010-01-25

I have an HD4200 based IGP and it worked very well with advanced shaders.
However I ended up upgrading to an Nvidia GT220 because I can't see there ever being decent 50Hz de-interlacing with ATI video under LINUX.

Stu-e

- batrad - 2010-01-25

Tried building a PC with ATI graphics to replace my XBOX, eneded up getting an ASUS ION board instead... Best money spent...

- SlaveUnit - 2010-01-26

motd2k Wrote:Use the 'VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion' option...

I came across this thread in a search. I should have noticed it was linux before I posted. I am running windows so there is no option with colorspace on my version. Obviously since there is no VDPAU decoding on it as of now.

Thanks for the reply though.

- kingnubian - 2010-01-26

For my Windows 7 box I use Ati, 4870, but my Linux Based XBMC build will be Nvidia. It's a real shame that UVD2 isn't better supported by the lackluster ATI linux drivers out of the box. With Linux Nvidia seems to be the best choice for sure.

- SlaveUnit - 2010-01-26

So with "VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion" in linux does that effect videos and the interface/menu system of XBMC or just videos?

- jamesdew - 2010-01-26

I have a 4550, for the most part it is great. The only problem is that I can't get anything more than stereo out of my HDMI unless I downgrade my driver, but then I get crashes so I can't win either way.

Stereo isn't so bad though so I'm just hoping a future driver update will solve my problem.

- prae5 - 2010-01-26

SlaveUnit Wrote:So with "VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion" in linux does that effect videos and the interface/menu system of XBMC or just videos?

iirc its video only.

- SlaveUnit - 2010-01-27

I see that ATI Catalyst™ 10.1 was released today. Once I get home from work I will try these to see of anything has changed. Or if someone beats me to it that would be great to know as well.

Update: Nope. Same issues with the new 10.1 driver.

- athloni - 2010-04-02

SlaveUnit Wrote:So with "VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion" in linux does that effect videos and the interface/menu system of XBMC or just videos?

Is there any option to enable Studio Level Colorspace for user-interface as well?
Maybe a driver setting or an option in XBMC.

I realy need this option for viewing pictures on my TV with XBMC in correct colorspace.

- bac522 - 2010-04-03

ATI needs to step up their game when it comes to Linux, anyway, like others have said, just go get an Nvidia card, they are cheap on sites like Newegg.