Kodi Community Forum
Post your setup pictures - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Post your setup pictures (/showthread.php?tid=68514)

- Superorb - 2011-09-20

exiledone1 Wrote:Ahh....okay, cool. I get it now. I'll keep that in mind. Hell, might as well wait then and get one that I can do the surround with. Thanks for the info. Really helpful.
Glad to help Smile

- exiledone1 - 2011-09-20

Superorb Wrote:Personal preference. But, you can't get big sound or accurate surround sound from a bunch of tiny speakers all in a line. You can have smaller speakers as surrounds, but you need dedicated surrounds. Also, there will be almost no bass form a sound bar, the drivers are too small. Will it sound better than the stock speakers? Probably. Will it be a home theater? Absolutely not.

So would something like this be better? Since this can be moved around better than a bar.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pioneer-5.1-Receiver-with-Klipsch-Speakers/13045152

- Superorb - 2011-09-20

exiledone1 Wrote:So would something like this be better? Since this can be moved around better than a bar.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pioneer-5.1-Receiver-with-Klipsch-Speakers/13045152
I don't care for Sony much. All our Sony cameras, and our Canon camera with a Sony CCD sensor all died. I haven't touched anything Sony in ages.

That bundle will be $178 for just the receiver unless you only want a 2-channel receiver, and you don't want only 2-channels for any home theater application.

You can keep an eye out for Newegg's home theater combo deals that pop up about once a week for around $3-400. It's better to save up for another month or two and get something good then buy something crappy now that you just won't be satisfied with. The Newegg ones include a discrete reveiver and a set of speakers. Don't confuse that with big box HTIB which is usually a cheapie dvd player and receiver in one, plus some crappy speakers.

- exiledone1 - 2011-09-20

Superorb Wrote:I don't care for Sony much. All our Sony cameras, and our Canon camera with a Sony CCD sensor all died. I haven't touched anything Sony in ages.

That bundle will be $178 for just the receiver unless you only want a 2-channel receiver, and you don't want only 2-channels for any home theater application.

You can keep an eye out for Newegg's home theater combo deals that pop up about once a week for around $3-400. It's better to save up for another month or two and get something good then buy something crappy now that you just won't be satisfied with. The Newegg ones include a discrete reveiver and a set of speakers. Don't confuse that with big box HTIB which is usually a cheapie dvd player and receiver in one, plus some crappy speakers.

Okay...cool. I'll keep an eye on Newegg. Could you recommend a good system for $500 or less from the newegg site? It would help for me to see what is considered a decent/good home threater system?

Thanks

Josh

- Superorb - 2011-09-20

exiledone1 Wrote:Okay...cool. I'll keep an eye on Newegg. Could you recommend a good system for $500 or less from the newegg site? It would help for me to see what is considered a decent/good home threater system?

Thanks

Josh
PM'd.

My setup has evolved over the years. Pt1 - LionRed - 2011-09-27

Some pictures of the changes and evolution of the setup at the house. Setup is currently going through another evolution since we moved to New Zealand.

Old setup in Canada:

I use to run Beyond TV for recording 2 STB's in the basement and XBMC for watching Movies etc.
Main viewing TV, Panasonic Plasma 50" with Yamaha YSP-4000 sound bar, and a Kenwood 10" Powered sub not shown in picture.

HTPC box...

Simple box with many hard drives in many Raid 5 setups (don't really like raid 5...I was young and foolish, never lost anything. But learned stuff).

- LionRed - 2011-09-27

Things continued to evolve in the basement/shop area...

Everything got packed up and moved to New Zealand...now I get to figure out how to set it up all over again.

TV in new tv room, in new house ....in NZ. TV has since been moved to the corner of the room (lol the only corner it can be moved to)

Computer gaming room...

- Superorb - 2011-09-27

^^ Nice view! BTW, running a computer with an open case actually reduces airflow and increases temps.

- LionRed - 2011-09-27

Superorb Wrote:^^ Nice view! BTW, running a computer with an open case actually reduces airflow and increases temps.

Thanks...

Case open..case closed...it is an on going debate. Many times with many computers over many years...open case resulted in lower temps. These case's however are well designed for airflow and enough fans etc.

I haven't had an issue with overheating for years...last computer to give me any kind of heat issues was my old AMD 3200+(ran warm). Side panels are not off for heat...systems temps ran fine. Had panels off cause it was a pita whenever I wanted to check or move something from one system to another.

Besides if I have any overheating issues I will throw this on it Wink

It does a good job of keeping things cool

Cheers

- ibixat - 2011-09-27

LionRed I have to say, nice setup with the pc's but holy hell that view from your TV room, that's the star of your post. For those of us who live in or near big cities that kind of view is just crazy beautiful. Take a PC or two outside and take more pictures and just be sure to get that amazing view in them and we'll all be jealous. Makes me want to start packing up and move to the country.

- PyRo1509 - 2011-09-27

LionRed Wrote:Things continued to evolve in the basement/shop area...

Looks nice. How much hd space do you have running in that? Is it freeNAS?

My 2cents as an engineer... Cases on = lower temps. Might as well d/c the exhaust fans if you keep the case off. They're doing near nothing then.

- ZombieRobot - 2011-09-27

Nice setup with the name lionred you myst be a kiwi lol where is that view not BOP is it?

- toymachine2009 - 2011-09-27

Wow. What do you use all those computers for in the basement?

- LionRed - 2011-09-27

ibixat Wrote:LionRed I have to say, nice setup with the pc's but holy hell that view from your TV room, that's the star of your post. For those of us who live in or near big cities that kind of view is just crazy beautiful. Take a PC or two outside and take more pictures and just be sure to get that amazing view in them and we'll all be jealous. Makes me want to start packing up and move to the country.

It is a beautiful country...why we moved here. Here are a few more pics off the deck here at the house.

View looking out towards Tasman Sea.

PyRo1509 Wrote:Looks nice. How much hd space do you have running in that? Is it freeNAS?

My 2cents as an engineer... Cases on = lower temps. Might as well d/c the exhaust fans if you keep the case off. They're doing near nothing then.

I just run Windows 7 64bit in it...between figuring out how to get XBMC, Beyond TV, IRD Blasters with 2 Bell Expressvu STB's, along with a program called Autoxvid that scanned tv recordings, cut commercials out and compressed recording to xvid. Not to mention it also collects data from my Davis Weather Station and hosts the home weather stations webpage - http://mahutaweather.no-ip.org . I didn't want to learn software or w/e to run a NAS (I have thought about setting one up, maybe someday) I think when this picture was taken I had like 4x1TB, 8x320GB, 4x500GB (3-4yrs ago) in 3 RAID 5 configurations.

Today ...I am setting up the rig with 4 x 2TB (rd1), 2x1.5TB (rd1) and 2x500GB (rd1) for media storage and backing up important pictures/home videos.

Generally I do eventually put the covers back on. But even when they are not on I like to think ....the back fan is still pulling the exhaust air from what air the cpu fan is pushing towards the back of the case.

ZombieRobot Wrote:Nice setup with the name lionred you myst be a kiwi lol where is that view not BOP is it?

Nahh I am a Canadian living in NZ now. The view is from Dargaville area looking over towards Whangarei ...on a clear day we can see the Whangarei Heads about 60 km away. That is literally across the country coast to coast.

Some things have changed since we moved here to NZ, Beyond TV and Sage TV are a little more difficult to get working here (if at all possible, we are not even talking about wife approval factor yet), as the TV Program Guide isn't exactly provided. Have to figure some programs out yet (scrappers), that get me the guide (near as I have figured to date). Also have to pick up a FTA for free satellite here to play with the whole PVR thing (BTV os SageTV).

As a backup pictures and Home videos are also stored on another Raid 5 of 6 x 1TB in the gaming rig I have. I think eventually I will plug away at burning things to DVD as another layer of backup.

toymachine2009 Wrote:Wow. What do you use all those computers for in the basement?
That is my old setup about 10 months ago is has now been torn down and moved to New Zealand. In the process of streamlining things here. Lol we have no basement now....

At the time...one was my gaming rig, one was for recording HDTV with SageTV with the HDPVR device. HDPVR was very unstable with BTV for me (in the main rig). The big rig was for storing media, compressing video, email running, recorded all my SD TV shows, Photo Editing...many more things I can't remember atm.

This is just a 16 yr computer hobby/passion for me....some you guys know way more about this stuff then I do.

- ZombieRobot - 2011-09-27

Yeah the whole New Zealand pvr/epg fiasco sucks!! best place to find info is geekzone.co.nz they will help you out with anything you need. mice setup