Kodi Community Forum
Initial native support for DXVA2 in SVN - Time to say goodbye to your firstborns - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Initial native support for DXVA2 in SVN - Time to say goodbye to your firstborns (/showthread.php?tid=69306)

- Hijo del sol - 2010-02-02

nokmond Wrote:I'm running Windows 7 with a 8800gt GPU - I'm getting a green bottom half of the screen on some movies. Is there something I need to do or is it just a case of work in progress?

Just testing it, my 8800gt doesn't need it but my Asrock 330 will love it!

Let us know how the ASROCK does.

- DurhamDev - 2010-02-02

steelman1991 Wrote:I don't think XP is supported in this build, as it is based on DXVA2,, xp will only comply with DXVA1 - see post no 14. Win7 and Vista compatible.

Thank God I have a spare copy of Windows 7 lying around... Upgrade to come!

Big Grin

- oldpainless - 2010-02-02

Doolie Wrote:How is the picture quality guys?

I LOVED the PQ of dvdplayer , has it changed with the implementation of DXVA? Nothing washed out etcHuh SmileSmile

Reason I ask is because Tibens build w/dsplayer , the PQ was washed out, and just bland overall. DVDplayer has always been a perfect source. Hope it stays that way because my CPU usage has always been 50% max on any 1080P MKV, so i never needed DXVA on my beefy system!

PQ IMO is far better using DX....far sharper....looks great. Now if only I could find a way to register coreavc and for dvdplayer to call it....oh well...lol

Great work!

K

- Doolie - 2010-02-02

oldpainless Wrote:PQ IMO is far better using DX....far sharper....looks great. Now if only I could find a way to register coreavc and for dvdplayer to call it....oh well...lol

Great work!

K

Great!! Can't wait to get home and try it out!

Again...Great work from all the people involved....the best HT experience available yet.

- DurhamDev - 2010-02-02

Ok - would someone be so kind as to lay out what the benefits are in a general sense? Let's pretend I'm new here (heh) and that I have XBMC running on an XP box with current hardware (lets say an ATI 4550 HDMI card) and beside it, I have XBMC running on a Windows 7 box... With the different programs running (XP with 'basic' and Win7 with 'DXVA') what would look different between the two?

- spiff - 2010-02-02

it's all about using your gpu to decode rather than the cpu. if you cpu can decode your shit without struggling, zilch is to be gained.

- DurhamDev - 2010-02-02

spiff Wrote:it's all about using your gpu to decode rather than the cpu. if you cpu can decode your shit without struggling, zilch is to be gained.

I absolutely LOVE the way you post. You answered my question without a hint of BS or extra fluff.

Thanks!

Laugh

- nokmond - 2010-02-02

DurhamDev Wrote:I absolutely LOVE the way you post. You answered my question without a hint of BS or extra fluff.

Thanks!

Laugh

+1 Laugh

- kuroyume - 2010-02-02

question: how do i know if DXVA is working? DSplayer gives you a different overlay when you push O, but i can't see anything to that effect on the nightly i installed...

I can see my HD4670 clocking up from the 165mhz it idles from to the working 750mhz, but i seem to get around 20% CPU use, while DSPlayer uses around 12-14%

- tiben20 - 2010-02-02

i would love too see some benchmark test to compare both players

- Hitcher - 2010-02-02

I can't win -

DSPlayer = Great video / no sound

DXVA = Green screen / sound

Rolleyes

- pettson3816 - 2010-02-02

oDium Wrote:Hey guys! I've been waiting for Dxva for a longgggg time. . .
For all of you that ypu experience green artifacts in some of your files
and in quicktime trailers , you should all be aware of that this most
probably has nothing to do with xbmc itself . I bet that all of you that
having this problem , do own ati gpu's like me. Is well known that ati has
driver related dxva limitations. More specifically ati's drivers can't cope
with h.264 contect of any kind , if the reference frames in this content
is anything higher than standard bluray specs.

And nowdays there are a lot of files through the web that are encoded
beyond the standard bluray specs . All these files including full hd apple's trailers
will not play with ati cards. Well there going to play , but with dxva
off.

Apparently nvidia's cards seem to have no limitation such the above , in
their drivers. If you search the web you'll find a lot of information about the
above.

From what i've read , there is currently no intention from ati's side to
remove the limitation.

So what you're saying is that this green artifact problem will never be solved then?

- elupus - 2010-02-02

Just a note.. The video scalers are doing nothing for dxva at the moment. I render directly to backbuffer so it's all how dxva processor scales at the moment.

And as i noted, it's still a WIP, untill i get some sort of detection working as to what will work and what will not it can't really be used auto.

Elis:
Any reason you say it's better to render to a texture then to backbuffer? we don't do any 3d stuff, and that would just be another step of renderering + to use any of the more advanced dxva processors, you'd have to render to a texture of backbuffer size.

It would allow the use of shaders to continue processing the video i suppose. But i'm not sure how big benefit that would be.

The late loading I would really like to avoid, but i can be convinced otherwise if it will fail totally on XP (which i suppose is likely now that i think of it). It's not that many functions that needs to be getproced.

- elupus - 2010-02-02

Also, debug logs with a short description of how it's failing would be appreciated. Don't post for many files thou as that is likely pointless untill i can sort our why it fails on my hw for so many files.

- kuroyume - 2010-02-02

tiben20 Wrote:i would love too see some benchmark test to compare both players

i'll be glad to run some for you if you send me instructions on how to run them