Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-06-03

iced00d Wrote:Great script but I am running into a problem. I'm running the latest Ubuntu (12.10) and the latest XBMC. I've loaded MAME through the package manager and can launch it from a terminal window without a problem and it finds the roms. When I lauch XBMC and have RCB on autoupdate, it says "First 10 games could not be imported continue anyways?". No matter if i select yes or no nothing shows up in RCB. I've ensured that the paths and file names are correct. The odd thing is that as stated, I can run MAME from a terminal window and run any roms I have. What am I doing wrong? I'd like to use this as my all-in-one media center. Thanks in advance..
Did you use the offline MAME scraper to import the games? If not, check this for instructions.

Not Sure Wrote:I am using RCB 1.0.1 and it seems to exclude games from the library that have scraped with duplicate names. So for example, I have:

Act-Raiser (USA)
Act-Raiser (Japan) (T-En)

During scraping I used Interactive mode with local artwork and selected the same game for both titles. RCB generated correct NFO files, but it only displays "Act-Raiser (USA)" in the library and lists the second one in scrapeResult_possibleMismatches.txt. Is there some way to display both? I don't care if they have the same name in RCB as I am using artwork to differentiate them.
In current release there is no way to do this automatically. RCB needs unique game names per Rom Collection. Only chance is to change the game title inside the nfo file manually and import the game again using the local nfo scraper.

There was another request before to use the original rom names as game names. This could solve your problem. I will check if I can include it.

Not Sure Wrote:Another issue I am having is with certain characters not being rendered/encoded correctly, so I get:

Code:
Gokujō Parodius!

Whatever the problem is, it only seems to only occur in titles (game descriptions look fine).
I have to check this. There are still some known encoding issues that I want to address with one of the next releases. I hope to find some more time in the next weeks to work on this.

Not Sure Wrote:Other than that, I agree with the guy who asked about displaying the screenshots non-stretched. I think games look much more attractive in their original aspect ratios.
This is skin dependent. It should be ok with Aeon MQ3 or with the default skins that RCB ships. What skin are you using?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Not Sure - 2012-06-03

(2012-06-03, 09:54)malte Wrote: In current release there is no way to do this automatically. RCB needs unique game names per Rom Collection. Only chance is to change the game title inside the nfo file manually and import the game again using the local nfo scraper.
I would like to do this, but I'm not sure how to get a comprehensive list of games that aren't being displayed because they are duplicates. The scrapeResult_possibleMismatches.txt includes a lot of games that are showing up just fine.

Quote:There was another request before to use the original rom names as game names. This could solve your problem. I will check if I can include it.
Maybe also have the option to prompt the user for a display name during scraping if a duplicate is encountered? This would only be useful if the full filename were displayed at the same time, however (maybe pre-fill the field with that?)

Quote:This is skin dependent. It should be ok with Aeon MQ3 or with the default skins that RCB ships. What skin are you using?

I am just using Confluence.

Original game snap:

Displayed inside RCB:

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Tomkun - 2012-06-04

@Not Sure

One option you have (and the one which I use) is to put duplicate games inside the same zip. That way, when you select the game on the menu, you are given a sub-menu allowing you to choose which version you want to play.

The downside is that you won't have separate boxart for each version of the game, but the benefit is a tidier menu and fewer games to scroll through.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - g.scholtens - 2012-06-04

Is it possible to save your rom games?

For example i want to play snesroms like mario or street fighter. Can i then save my games?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Tomkun - 2012-06-04

Do you mean save your progress? Then that is an issue for the emulator. Most if not all SNES emulators offer save states.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - st graveyard - 2012-06-04

@not sure. Don't know if this is an option for you, but you can always head over to the hyperspin site, download the latest super nintendo dat file and create a nice clean new set of roms from your collection with no dupes (based on no-intro or goodset)...

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - g.scholtens - 2012-06-04

(2012-06-04, 08:47)Tomkun Wrote: Do you mean save your progress? Then that is an issue for the emulator. Most if not all SNES emulators offer save states.

Only snes or also other emulators?

Not sure what i am going to use hyper spin or advanched launcher, wich one is better? Want to play the games fullscreen on a 37inch fullhd tv.
In advanched launcher this is not possible with standard pc games. So that's the reason that i want to play roms.

(2012-06-04, 13:33)g.scholtens Wrote:
(2012-06-04, 08:47)Tomkun Wrote: Do you mean save your progress? Then that is an issue for the emulator. Most if not all SNES emulators offer save states.

Not sure what i am going to use hyper spin or advanched launcher, wich one is better? Want to play the games fullscreen on a 37inch fullhd tv.
In advanched launcher this is not possible with standard pc games. So that's the reason that i want to play roms.

I'm not really sure what you are asking. Most emulators let you save the game to varying degrees of success.

Hyperspin has nothing to do with XBMC, so if you want ot use it, I suggest you visit their website. This thread is about RCB; if you want to use Advanced Launcher then head over to it's thread.

Having said that, neither RCB, Advanced Launcher, or Hyperspin are emulators. They are only front-ends. They have no bearing on how good games look on your TV at all.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - stoutfiles - 2012-06-04

(2012-06-01, 07:44)malte Wrote: This is strange. What are your specs? Even on my Xbox I am able to load tons of artwork. It is slow but it is all showing up. Did you try with different skins?

Figured out what was happening...originally I was only using the mouse to select games. Artwork only loads for me when I use the keyboard up/down arrows to scroll through games. That's fine.

One big issue for me though...considering how big my large my ROM collections are for each system it can take almost the entire day to scrape data/artwork for each game, so I leave the room and go do other things. Anytime it can't load artwork for a game it comes up with an error screen and tells me to check the log which is fine...but it stops scanning until I hit okay! That can cost me hours of scan time when I'm out somewhere and not there to confirm. Is there anyway to avoid conformation for errors and just let it keep scanning?

The other, smaller issue, is that the program locks up it the game file has characters it doesn't understand. So far I've encountered two instances: the "è" and the "½". Not a big deal though, I could always parse for bad characters in a folder before loading them into the program.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Not Sure - 2012-06-04

(2012-06-04, 01:33)Tomkun Wrote: One option you have (and the one which I use) is to put duplicate games inside the same zip. That way, when you select the game on the menu, you are given a sub-menu allowing you to choose which version you want to play.

The downside is that you won't have separate boxart for each version of the game, but the benefit is a tidier menu and fewer games to scroll through.
Other downsides:

1. It adds another layer of hassle to updating the ROM collection.

2. At least under Linux: When you feed Snes9x an unzipped ROM it considers it completely different from a zipped copy of the same ROM, which makes both SRAM saves and emulator savestates not shared between them. Because of this and the fact that I often like to use Snes9x outside of XBMC, I have disabled ROM unzipping in RCB for this collection.

(2012-06-04, 09:00)st graveyard Wrote: @not sure. Don't know if this is an option for you, but you can always head over to the hyperspin site, download the latest super nintendo dat file and create a nice clean new set of roms from your collection with no dupes (based on no-intro or goodset)...
I have already eliminated region duplicates (No-Intro 1G1R XML DAT), non-English language games (a largely manual process, very time consuming) and misc. undesirables. The only duplicates remaining in my collection at this point are deliberate ones. Most of them are fan translations with more than one project (ex: Chrono Trigger) or an official English translation that I wish to preserve (ex: Breath of Fire II).

(2012-06-04, 15:24)Tomkun Wrote:
(2012-06-04, 13:33)g.scholtens Wrote:

I'm not really sure what you are asking. Most emulators let you save the game to varying degrees of success.

Hyperspin has nothing to do with XBMC, so if you want ot use it, I suggest you visit their website. This thread is about RCB; if you want to use Advanced Launcher then head over to it's thread.

Having said that, neither RCB, Advanced Launcher, or Hyperspin are emulators. They are only front-ends. They have no bearing on how good games look on your TV at all.
I only wanted to know if i can save games with an emulator.
The rest was just social talk

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - pantherts - 2012-06-04

Rom Collection Browser - Multiple Disc Patch
By: pantherts

Rom Collection Browser
Project Homepage: http://code.google.com/p/romcollectionbrowser/
By: malte

------------------------------------------
INTRODUCTION
First off, thank you to malte for creating Rom Collection Browser! I'm sure we all couldn't imagine our XBMC setups without it! He put in a lot of work to make sure that RCB was everything we needed in our emulation setups and I want to be clear that while this patch works it's most likely only a temporary implementation due to his plan to release a new version with this functionality included. If you love Rom Collection Browser, be sure to DONATE on the project's homepage! Also, malte, I'm not trying to step on your feet at all and really did this just to provide a temporary solution for many of us experiencing this limitation. Let me know if you spot anything in these files that could cause problems for users as I tested them the best I could but am not sure how the changes will effect emulators that load multiple disks at the same time. To easily find the changes I made, please search for 'pantherts' in the launcher.py file. Okay, on to the patch!

EXPLANATION
The one thing that many of us have inquired about on the forums was the ability to choose an individual disc in a multiple disc game. Games on Playstation, for example, can span 2-4 discs which requires the user to load up another disc to continue playing. This patch adds code to launcher.py to allow the user to select an individual disc when loading these types of games. You must first be using a 'Disk indicator' in the Import Games menu for the Rom Collection containing these games.

Example: Disk indicator: _Disk

This is the naming convention for the games with multiple discs that you must abide by. If you have Final Fantasy VII for example, the names should look similar to this if using the above example:

Final Fantasy VII_Disk1.bin
Final Fantasy VII_Disk2.bin
Final Fantasy VII_Disk3.bin

This allows RCB to only list the game once and it allows this patch to properly list the multiple discs used by the game. Okay, let's get patching!

Files Modified: launcher.py, launcher.pyo
Tested On: v0.99, v1.02

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Download the zip file containing the patched files here: Rom Collection Browser - Multiple Disc Patch
2. Shutdown XBMC (not completely necessary but do it to be safe)
3. Browse to C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib
4. Make a copy of both launcher.py and launcher.pyo files (for backup).
5. Unzip the patched files into this folder replacing the old files.
6. Done! Launch XBMC and pick a multiple disc game. You'll get a prompt asking you which disc you'd like to launch.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer them. Just realize this is most likely a temporary solution to this issue and that malte is planning on implementing this feature in a new release at a later date.

EDIT: Changed some logging messages for clarity. 5/6/2012

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-06-05

Not Sure Wrote:I would like to do this, but I'm not sure how to get a comprehensive list of games that aren't being displayed because they are duplicates. The scrapeResult_possibleMismatches.txt includes a lot of games that are showing up just fine.
That's right. There is no list of these files. I could check if it is easily possible to create a file with doubles.

Not Sure Wrote:Maybe also have the option to prompt the user for a display name during scraping if a duplicate is encountered? This would only be useful if the full filename were displayed at the same time, however (maybe pre-fill the field with that?)
I think most options that prompt the user during import are not optimal if you think about importing large collections. Maybe I will think about adding something like this in interactive mode or add another special option for this scenario.

Not Sure Wrote:I am just using Confluence.
Sorry, you are right. I forgot about the screenshot Smile. It is already on my list (for a long time). Will be done for sure. Just can't promise when I find the time to do it.

stoutfiles Wrote:One big issue for me though...considering how big my large my ROM collections are for each system it can take almost the entire day to scrape data/artwork for each game, so I leave the room and go do other things. Anytime it can't load artwork for a game it comes up with an error screen and tells me to check the log which is fine...but it stops scanning until I hit okay! That can cost me hours of scan time when I'm out somewhere and not there to confirm. Is there anyway to avoid conformation for errors and just let it keep scanning?
This should not happen, Only situation when there is a prompt with an error message should be if RCB can't store any artwork for all of your files. Not finding artwork for one or more games is normal scenario and should not be prompted. Can you show me a log file of an import with this prompt?

g.scholtens Wrote:I only wanted to know if i can save games with an emulator.
Most emulators support this afaik. Some (if not all) SNES and Amiga (at least WinUAE) emulators also support direct launching of savestates. If the emulator supports this feature you can also directly launch into your savestate file: Check this for more info.

pantherts Wrote:Rom Collection Browser - Multiple Disc Patch
By: pantherts
Great! Thanks a lot for your work and for sharing it. I did not find the time to check in detail but it looks good from the first glance. I will include it in next release if everything is working.

(If you are interested in contributing on a more regular basis feel free to PM me)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - DigiTech - 2012-06-06

Hi malte! is there any news about launching games in solo mode? i`m still having the problem of xbmc not returning with the same warning
http://img688.imageshack.us/i/soloxbmc.png/

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-06-06

DigiTech Wrote:Hi malte! is there any news about launching games in solo mode? i`m still having the problem of xbmc not returning with the same warning
http://img688.imageshack.us/i/soloxbmc.png/
If the explorer hack does not help on your system (iirc it doesn't) you may try to replace the applaunch.bat with JohnnyD2's solution: link. I have to admit that I did not try that myself. This is one of the many things on my list Smile. I will try to integrate this solution into RCB if it works correct.