Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-06-08

altoiddealer Wrote:I have a bug to report with the latest update to RCB 1.0.1

I use Solo Mode. When I exit my game (any game, any emulator), and XBMC pops back up, a message pops up in the corner reading:

Remote Communication Server
Failed to Start

This only occurs when I exit a game through RCB
I can't imagine this is related to RCB. Can you show me a log after this happened?

DigiTech Wrote:games launch ok, when i stop playing it then it goes back to start xbmc from the beggining then it does the transition to rom collection browser but when rbs beggins then it start to cache all the games in that screen again, then im back to the rcb screen where the game originally launched but between i stop a game playing and when it goes back it takes like a minute and a half to do so.
Does it take a minute to cache the games or does it take a minute until it starts launching XBMC/RCB?

What is your caching setting in RCB? If set to CACHE_ALL it can take some time with large collections. But this should happen on every start of RCB, not only when using solo mode.

altoiddealer Wrote:So I figured out Ubuntu shortcuts use the extension .desktop

I used that in the .bat but it is still not launching the emu :/ odd.
On Ubuntu it will not work with a .bat file. You need to create a .sh file. Create a file "RCB.sh" and make sure this file is executable (rightclick it and modify settings). This file could look like this (not 100% sure as I don't have a working linux install atm):
Code:
#!/bin/bash
"emulator$2.desktop" $1

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - altoiddealer - 2012-06-08

(2012-06-08, 10:49)malte Wrote:
altoiddealer Wrote:I have a bug to report with the latest update to RCB 1.0.1

I use Solo Mode. When I exit my game (any game, any emulator), and XBMC pops back up, a message pops up in the corner reading:

Remote Communication Server
Failed to Start

This only occurs when I exit a game through RCB
I can't imagine this is related to RCB. Can you show me a log after this happened?

Yeah, I tried scraping some movies and I got an error message, so this probably doesn't have anything to do with RCB, but with the fact that I just upgraded to Eden. I thought it was an RCB problem because I originally didn't get the error when starting XBMC; only when it re-opened from Solo mode

I'm kind of a Ubuntu noob heh, I feel like an idiot for not knowing to use a .sh instead of a .bat.

THANKS!! Trying it now

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - altoiddealer - 2012-06-08

(2012-06-08, 10:49)malte Wrote: On Ubuntu it will not work with a .bat file. You need to create a .sh file. Create a file "RCB.sh" and make sure this file is executable (rightclick it and modify settings). This file could look like this (not 100% sure as I don't have a working linux install atm):
Code:
#!/bin/bash
"emulator$2.desktop" $1

Still not working!Confused Here's a recap of the steps I took:
-Created shortcut for ZSNES named "emulator.desktop" and a shortcut for SNES9x named "emulator-alternate.desktop" The shortcuts work on their own, so they're ok
-The RCB.sh is located in the same directory as them, and I copy/pasted your code in. Then I made the file executable.
-in RCB, I set the SNES emu path to the RCB.sh, and the game command to "%ROM% %GAMECMD%"

Off-topic: I never use the tab "All", just the individual game systems. If I happen to select "All" when scrolling through, it takes literally 10+ seconds to load the complete list of games. I'm suggesting that perhaps could you add an option to disable "All" from being disoplayed?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-06-08

altoiddealer Wrote:Still not working! Here's a recap of the steps I took:
-Created shortcut for ZSNES named "emulator.desktop" and a shortcut for SNES9x named "emulator-alternate.desktop" The shortcuts work on their own, so they're ok
-The RCB.sh is located in the same directory as them, and I copy/pasted your code in. Then I made the file executable.
-in RCB, I set the SNES emu path to the RCB.sh, and the game command to "%ROM% %GAMECMD%"
Does the script work if you launch it from command line (with rom file as parameter)? And do the emulator links work if you launch them from command line?

I have to test it here to be 100% sure how it works. But as said above my linux system is not up and running. And I don't have the time to set it up in the next days...

altoiddealer Wrote:Off-topic: I never use the tab "All", just the individual game systems. If I happen to select "All" when scrolling through, it takes literally 10+ seconds to load the complete list of games. I'm suggesting that perhaps could you add an option to disable "All" from being disoplayed?
It is already available: link

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - stoutfiles - 2012-06-08

(2012-06-08, 13:35)altoiddealer Wrote:
(2012-06-08, 10:49)malte Wrote: On Ubuntu it will not work with a .bat file. You need to create a .sh file. Create a file "RCB.sh" and make sure this file is executable (rightclick it and modify settings). This file could look like this (not 100% sure as I don't have a working linux install atm):
Code:
#!/bin/bash
"emulator$2.desktop" $1

Still not working!Confused

Why make this so complicated? Just make 2 ROM collections, "SNESZ" for zsnes games and "SNESX" for snes9x games. Keep the games in separate rom folders for the emulator you want them played on.

altoiddealer Wrote:Off-topic: I never use the tab "All", just the individual game systems. If I happen to select "All" when scrolling through, it takes literally 10+ seconds to load the complete list of games. I'm suggesting that perhaps could you add an option to disable "All" from being disoplayed?
It is already available: link
[/quote]

Ho ho! Thanks for pointing that out! Big Grin

(2012-06-08, 16:31)stoutfiles Wrote: Why make this so complicated? Just make 2 ROM collections, "SNESZ" for zsnes games and "SNESX" for snes9x games. Keep the games in separate rom folders for the emulator you want them played on.

You know, I simply hadn't thought of this! I came on and asked how to do it but I was only given the other solution.

I'm definitely going to try this~ I won't mind my SNES roms being separated by emulator

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - DigiTech - 2012-06-08

DigiTech Wrote:games launch ok, when i stop playing it then it goes back to start xbmc from the beggining then it does the transition to rom collection browser but when rbs beggins then it start to cache all the games in that screen again, then im back to the rcb screen where the game originally launched but between i stop a game playing and when it goes back it takes like a minute and a half to do so.
Does it take a minute to cache the games or does it take a minute until it starts launching XBMC/RCB?
[/quote]

At first It takes a minute to be on the main rcb screen again, meanwhile it starts xbmc from the beggining going from the xbmc home page to rcb, when it gets to the rcb screen it takes like 30 seconds to cache that screen again btw i have cacheandnext enable, this whole process to get to were i was selecting a game again takes a minute and a half aprox. when in the old solo mode (when was working) when i exited a game only used to take to go back to rcb like 10 seconds max.
Im pretty suspicious that the thing that disable the explorer hack to work was an update, because before that it was solo mode wonderland.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - altoiddealer - 2012-06-09

I simply can't win!

After setting up the new Rom Collection for all my SMW rom hacks, I am immediately greeted with "Error reading Config.xml"

-I set up a new ROM folder "Other", and a new Artwork folder "Other/screenshots" (I had scraped all of these roms locally; I downloaded an image to use for each, which were previously located in "SNES/screenshots")
-I copied all the roms/.nfos to the new "Other" folder
-I copied the respective images to "Other/screenshots" folder

in RCB:
-I selected Add Rom Collection and Chose "Other" for Collection type.
-I chose "ZSNES", then Rom path ".../Other", then File Mask "*.smc", then Artwork type "screenshot", then navigated to "Other/screenshots".
-Scraping method: locally. Individual per ROM. File mask "%ROM%.nfo"
-Do I want to Add another rom collection? No.
Error!!

I figured out how to restore my old config so that I can access RCB again. I tried again with the same result.
Perhaps this can help figure out what's happening:

xbmc.log
http://pastebin.com/G4CfPx0e

config.xml
http://pastebin.com/g77E5eu2

Thanks for bearing with me on this.

And thanks for the tip on how to hide the "All" filter for Consoles Tab

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - xaviorffviii - 2012-06-09

(2012-06-09, 00:12)altoiddealer Wrote: I simply can't win!

After setting up the new Rom Collection for all my SMW rom hacks, I am immediately greeted with "Error reading Config.xml"

-I set up a new ROM folder "Other", and a new Artwork folder "Other/screenshots" (I had scraped all of these roms locally; I downloaded an image to use for each, which were previously located in "SNES/screenshots")
-I copied all the roms/.nfos to the new "Other" folder
-I copied the respective images to "Other/screenshots" folder

in RCB:
-I selected Add Rom Collection and Chose "Other" for Collection type.
-I chose "ZSNES", then Rom path ".../Other", then File Mask "*.smc", then Artwork type "screenshot", then navigated to "Other/screenshots".
-Scraping method: locally. Individual per ROM. File mask "%ROM%.nfo"
-Do I want to Add another rom collection? No.
Error!!

I figured out how to restore my old config so that I can access RCB again. I tried again with the same result.
Perhaps this can help figure out what's happening:

xbmc.log
http://pastebin.com/G4CfPx0e

config.xml
http://pastebin.com/g77E5eu2

Thanks for bearing with me on this.

And thanks for the tip on how to hide the "All" filter for Consoles Tab

I get that too, i just bypass the adding roms that way and use the menu inside RCB.
Example: delete the config file to get back in, start the config tutorial, but don't finish, i don't remember what key i press, or I cancel it somehow. And then I use the old fashioned add rom collection inside RCB using "c" on the keyboard. And then just import the nfo for scraping, nothing else. The nfo will point RCB to the game artwork.

I had a lot of problems too, the trick is less is more really. The config file gets corrupted pretty easily.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - altoiddealer - 2012-06-09

So your saying if you start from scratch, the initial setup will allow you to set up the rom collections without making you import games?

So the rom collections can be configured, and then "c" import games, local nfo, to add them all back in?

Ill try this, keeping a backup of the config, although this is getting complicating Wink

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - xaviorffviii - 2012-06-09

(2012-06-09, 02:05)altoiddealer Wrote: So your saying if you start from scratch, the initial setup will allow you to set up the rom collections without making you import games?

So the rom collections can be configured, and then "c" import games, local nfo, to add them all back in?

Ill try this, keeping a backup of the config, although this is getting complicating Wink

I think what happens is we both select an option that doesn't exist. I never decided to completely figure out what I was doing wrong in the initial setup, it takes time to go back and forth (adding the rom file extensions *.bin, etc etc takes forever in my mind haha)

But ya if you have the nfo files from a previous xbmc, then just hit "c" create a rom collection with the very basic information, rom path, params, rom file extensions, emulator path, and I think that's it. I can't remember if theres anything really important besides that. Then just hit "c" again and import games with nothing else besides local nfo files. The local artwork selection threw me off and It would always fail. If the nfos are there, the artwork locations are inside of them.

If you're importing new games, then just do what I said except scrape online(I prefer the selection option in case the game is spelled different), they'll make the folders themselves.

It's the only way I can get it to work, lemme know how it goes, and backups are always a good idea!

Finally did it lol

Just had to choose "scrape online" then I could get the window to choose nfo, didnt FUBAR the config

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-06-09

Looks like you have been on the wrong road. There is no real difference between using the config wizard from start or launching it from context menu. Both option run the exact same code.

If you encounter a configuration error it usually means that you configured paths in config.xml that don't exist (mostly paths to description files). The error message should prevent you from starting an import with an invalid configuration. But I have to admit that this was just a shortcut that should be replaced with a better error handling one day. It should be possible to launch RCB and edit the error in the UI...

altoiddealer Wrote:Just had to choose "scrape online" then I could get the window to choose nfo, didnt FUBAR the config
Yes, this is the correct way. You don't need to configure the nfo scraper yourself. It is already on board.

(2012-06-09, 03:13)altoiddealer Wrote: Finally did it lol

Just had to choose "scrape online" then I could get the window to choose nfo, didnt FUBAR the config

Congrats! Sorry if my advice wasn't a 100%, I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my xbmc, and I havn't had to do anything with RCB since I just copy and paste the old RCB folder into the new plugin folder, and pasting my userdata folder as well.(No messy scraping).

I decided to post in here about my RCB problems, I have another thread open, but I figure maybe it should be here anyway.
In a nutshell I made .xbmc/addons/script.games.rom.collection.browser/applaunch.sh executable with chmod +x, which enabled solo mode to work. Xbmx exits fine, but after pressing esc to leave pcsxr, xbmc opens with an error of webserver failed to start and remote server fails to start.
This is my last post in the other thread, which should explain just what I'm going through.

Quote:Looks like I'll have the privilege of fixing the webserver fails to start and remote server fails to initiate problems. It has followed me to Ubuntu 10.10. It's clear this is an Eden problem, since I was on the previous version without any of these errors.
The Rom Collection Browser service addon is supposedly installed and active.

This is my terminal readouts, perhaps it will be of use

Code:
xbmc@xbmc:~$ xbmc
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/home/xbmc/.smb/smb.conf":
    No such file or directory
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/home/xbmc/.smb/smb.conf.append":
there is no soundcard
Shutdown nice
Shutdown hard
/usr/games/pcsx -nogui -cdfile /media/sdb1/Games/PCSX/Roms/Legend of Dragoon/Legend of Dragoon_Disk1.iso
Killed
xbmc@xbmc:~$ NVIDIA Corporation
GeForce 210/PCI/SSE2
Could not open BIOS:"/media/Media/Games/PCSX/Bios/SCPH1001.BIN". Enabling HLE Bios!
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/home/xbmc/.smb/smb.conf":
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/home/xbmc/.smb/smb.conf.append":
there is no soundcard

Ignore any sound related errors
And the Bios error

Malte is there a fix I just haven't seen yet? or should I roll back to the previous xbmc that worked for me?

EDIT:

Wow downgrading to Dharma looks to be a lot trickier than I thought, does anyone have a dharma deb package for ubuntu?

EDIT

Heres a snippet of my xbmc.log file
No idea if it may help

Code:
18:06:09 T:3019528000    INFO: initializing python engine.
18:06:09 T:3019528000   DEBUG: new python thread created. id=4
18:06:09 T:3019528000   DEBUG: waiting for python thread 1 to stop
18:06:09 T:3019528000   DEBUG: python thread 1 destructed
18:06:09 T:3019528000   DEBUG: waiting for python thread 2 to stop
18:06:09 T:3019528000   DEBUG: python thread 2 destructed
18:06:09 T:3019528000   DEBUG: NetworkMessage - Starting network services
18:06:09 T:3019528000  NOTICE: Webserver: Starting...
18:06:09 T:3019528000   ERROR: WebServer: Failed to start the webserver
18:06:09 T:3019528000  NOTICE: starting upnp server
18:06:09 T:2846878576   DEBUG: Thread XBPyThread start, auto delete: 0
18:06:09 T:2846878576   DEBUG: Python thread: start processing
18:06:09 T:3019528000  NOTICE: starting upnp renderer
18:06:09 T:2846878576  NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
18:06:09 T:2865093488  NOTICE:  StorageServer Module loaded RUN
18:06:09 T:2865093488  NOTICE: StorageClient-0.9.2 Starting server
18:06:09 T:2865093488  NOTICE: StorageServer-0.9.2 Storage Server starting /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/Database/commoncache.db
18:06:09 T:2846878576  NOTICE: Previous line repeats 1 times.
18:06:09 T:2846878576   DEBUG: Process - The source file to load is /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/autoexec.py
18:06:09 T:3019528000  NOTICE: ES: Starting event server
18:06:09 T:3019528000   ERROR: JSONRPC Server: Failed to connect to sdpd
18:06:09 T:2846878576   DEBUG: Process - Setting the Python path to /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata:/usr/share/xbmc/addons/script.module.simplejson/lib:/usr/share/xbmc/addons/script.module.pil/lib:/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.common.plugin.cache/lib:/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.module.simple.downloader/lib:/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.module.parsedom/lib:/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.module.elementtree/lib:/usr/share/xbmc/addons/script.module.pysqlite/lib:/usr/lib/python2.6:/usr/lib/python2.6/plat-linux2:/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-tk:/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-old:/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload:/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages:/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages:/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PIL:/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gst-0.10:/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6:/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gtk-2.0:/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/gtk-2.0:
18:06:09 T:2846878576   DEBUG: Process - Entering source directory /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata
18:06:09 T:2846878576    INFO: Scriptresult: Success
18:06:09 T:2813307760   DEBUG: Thread CEventServer start, auto delete: 0
18:06:09 T:2813307760  NOTICE: ES: Starting UDP Event server on 0.0.0.0:9777
18:06:09 T:2813307760  NOTICE: UDP: Listening on port 9777
18:06:09 T:3019528000   ERROR: JSONRPC Server: Failed to bind serversocket
18:06:09 T:3019528000  NOTICE: starting zeroconf publishing
18:06:09 T:2846878576    INFO: Python script stopped
18:06:09 T:2846878576   DEBUG: Thread XBPyThread 2846878576 terminating
18:06:09 T:2813307760   DEBUG: CZeroconfAvahi::clientCallback: client is up and running
18:06:09 T:3019528000   DEBUG: CLastfmScrobbler: Clearing session.
18:06:09 T:3019528000   DEBUG: CLibrefmScrobbler: Clearing session.
18:06:09 T:3019528000    INFO: initializing python engine.
18:06:09 T:3019528000   DEBUG: new python thread created. id=5
18:06:09 T:2796522352   DEBUG: Thread Jobworker start, auto delete: 1
18:06:09 T:2788129648   DEBUG: Thread XBPyThread start, auto delete: 0
18:06:09 T:2788129648   DEBUG: Python thread: start processing
18:06:09 T:3019528000   DEBUG: ------ Window Init () ------
18:06:09 T:3019528000   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (Pointer.xml) ------
18:06:09 T:2873486192  NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Finished scan. Scanning for video info took 00:00