Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - taalas - 2012-11-10

Hi,

I am currently in the stages of planning to add classic console emulation to my living room HTPC.

Will I be able to use RCB if my roms are served by an SMB share and accessed by network path (SMB is not mounted to a drive letter) - using Windows.

I guess another problem could be the emulator's support for network paths, right? Has anybody tried this?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-11-10

With latest test version (1.0.8) this should work. I have tested this myself with XBMC 11 and 12 on Windows 7. My files are stored on a NAS with Ubuntu Server and shared via smb. I could import roms, show the collected artwork and launch the games. I only tested Genesis and Sega 32 with Kega Fusion. So not sure if there will be other emulators that may have problems with this.

Atm this will not work with smb paths where you have to transmit username and password via smb url.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - taalas - 2012-11-10

Thanks for the quick response Malte, looking forward to trying this great plugin then...

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - DeliriumTremens - 2012-11-11

So I think I know why my roms aren't launching, but I have a separate issue that has gotten progressively worse as I've been working on that.

Whenever I launch RCB, about 8/10 times it hangs and I have to restart xbmc.

When using tailf to watch xbmc.log, these are the lines that appear just before the crash:

Code:
17:04:48 T:1075700352   DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::Initialize OMX.broadcom.image_decode input port 320 output port 321
17:04:48 T:1075700352   DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::Initialize OMX.broadcom.resize input port 60 output port 61
17:04:48 T:1075700352   DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::AllocInputBuffers component(OMX.broadcom.image_decode) - port(320), nBufferCountMin(2), nBufferCountActual(3), nBufferSize(81920), nBufferAlignmen(16)
17:04:48 T:1075700352   DEBUG: COMXCoreComponent::AllocOutputBuffers component(OMX.broadcom.resize) - port(61), nBufferCountMin(1), nBufferCountActual(1), nBufferSize(3686400) nBufferAlignmen(16)
17:04:48 T:1172681792   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::DecoderEventHandler OMX.broadcom.image_decode - OMX_EventError detected, nData1(0x80001005), port 0
17:04:49 T:1075700352   ERROR: Previous line repeats 50 times.
17:04:49 T:1075700352   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::GetInputBuffer OMX.broadcom.image_decode wait event timeout

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Translucent - 2012-11-12

Just throwing this out there, I think there may be issues with the db file. From a clean install of 1.0.8 I can enter the app, context menu and setup my collections. When I choose to import roms it goes through just fine. Now if I select 1 collection to import from then it works fine but if I come back and try to import for another collection it immediately hangs (nothing in the logs, it hangs too fast apparently for that. Also if I tell it to import all my collections then it seems to do so just fine (takes a while) and when it's complete it moves to the collection screen saying "loading" but it also hangs at this point.

Following is the logs entry right up to when it hangs:

16:44:28 T:140487633659648 DEBUG: Caching image '/media/media1/Storage/games/artwork/nes/boxfront/Hillsfar.jpg' to '9/97ceb0e5.jpg':
16:44:28 T:140487633659648 DEBUG: cached image 'special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/9/97ceb0e5.jpg' size 400x550
16:44:29 T:140486631057152 DEBUG: Caching image '/media/media1/Storage/games/artwork/nes/boxfront/Pool of radiance.jpg' to '1/11d331b8.jpg':
16:44:29 T:140487004501760 DEBUG: Caching image '/media/media1/Storage/games/artwork/megadrive/boxfront/Afterburner II.jpg' to '6/64148989.jpg':
16:44:29 T:140486631057152 DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(special://xbmcbin/system/players/dvdplayer/swscale-2-x86_64-linux.so)
16:44:29 T:140486631057152 DEBUG: Loading: /usr/local/lib/xbmc/system/players/dvdplayer/swscale-2-x86_64-linux.so
16:44:29 T:140487004501760 DEBUG: cached image 'special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/6/64148989.jpg' size 524x720
16:44:29 T:140486631057152 DEBUG: cached image 'special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/1/11d331b8.jpg' size 506x720
16:44:29 T:140487633659648 DEBUG: Caching image '/media/media1/Storage/games/artwork/psx2/boxfront/Age of Empires II - The Age of Kings.jpg' to '7/7f9b4464.jpg':
16:44:29 T:140487633659648 DEBUG: cached image 'special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/7/7f9b4464.jpg' size 510x720

Nothing really interesting

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-11-12

DeliriumTremens Wrote:So I think I know why my roms aren't launching, but I have a separate issue that has gotten progressively worse as I've been working on that.

When using tailf to watch xbmc.log, these are the lines that appear just before the crash:
Does this only happen with RCB? The errors in the log file do not look RCB related. Could you please upload the complete log file? Maybe there is something else that I can see.

Translucent Wrote:Just throwing this out there, I think there may be issues with the db file. From a clean install of 1.0.8 I can enter the app, context menu and setup my collections. When I choose to import roms it goes through just fine. Now if I select 1 collection to import from then it works fine but if I come back and try to import for another collection it immediately hangs (nothing in the logs, it hangs too fast apparently for that. Also if I tell it to import all my collections then it seems to do so just fine (takes a while) and when it's complete it moves to the collection screen saying "loading" but it also hangs at this point.
Never had any issues like this but I will try to reproduce this myself. Can you also show me your complete log?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Translucent - 2012-11-12

Yeah I'll send my complete log later today (when I get home), also I'm thinking might it be a bad rom (or loaded metadata) in one of my collections?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - DeliriumTremens - 2012-11-14

(2012-11-12, 18:31)malte Wrote:
DeliriumTremens Wrote:So I think I know why my roms aren't launching, but I have a separate issue that has gotten progressively worse as I've been working on that.

Does this only happen with RCB? The errors in the log file do not look RCB related. Could you please upload the complete log file? Maybe there is something else that I can see.

http://pastebin.com/50iU69Un

There is the full log from the time I select RCB until xbmc becomes unresponsive. This only happens when I launch RCB -- the rest of XBMC works fine, and I don't experience crashes on any other menu. I have fanart disabled for the rest of xbmc; where is the option to disable it for RCB?

Still having issues with launching games. No errors, they just never appear -- would you like me to try and get a full log for when I launch a game?

I saw that the emu command wasn't preceded by "retroarch -L" so I added that, but it still doesn't launch.

Thanks for all the help malte!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-11-14

DeliriumTremens Wrote:There is the full log from the time I select RCB until xbmc becomes unresponsive. This only happens when I launch RCB -- the rest of XBMC works fine, and I don't experience crashes on any other menu.
Looks like some image decoding error. Not sure if this is related to one special image or if there are issues accessing your image files in general. What skin are you using? And did you try with a different one?

DeliriumTremens Wrote:I have fanart disabled for the rest of xbmc; where is the option to disable it for RCB?
Not sure atm. I guess you have to change the imagePlacing options in config.xml like explained here.

DeliriumTremens Wrote:Still having issues with launching games. No errors, they just never appear -- would you like me to try and get a full log for when I launch a game?
We could try this. But I am afraid there is not much that I can see.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - DeliriumTremens - 2012-11-14

(2012-11-14, 18:41)malte Wrote:
DeliriumTremens Wrote:There is the full log from the time I select RCB until xbmc becomes unresponsive. This only happens when I launch RCB -- the rest of XBMC works fine, and I don't experience crashes on any other menu.
Looks like some image decoding error. Not sure if this is related to one special image or if there are issues accessing your image files in general. What skin are you using? And did you try with a different one?

DeliriumTremens Wrote:I have fanart disabled for the rest of xbmc; where is the option to disable it for RCB?
Not sure atm. I guess you have to change the imagePlacing options in config.xml like explained here.

DeliriumTremens Wrote:Still having issues with launching games. No errors, they just never appear -- would you like me to try and get a full log for when I launch a game?
We could try this. But I am afraid there is not much that I can see.

I tried with Confluence, Simplicity, and Night (dark?) something like that -- the three default skins. They all behave the same way. I suppose I could delete my db/cache and rescrape and see if that helps.

I'm irked at why emulators dont launch, I have been speaking with another person trying to get RCB working his pi, and I believe his actually launches the emulator (he hears sound), but xbmc never exits.

I'll work more with him to see what settings we have different.

Thanks!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - negge - 2012-11-15

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the applaunch.sh script so that the XBMC web server would start normally when XBMC is re-launched. I tore my hair out yesterday with this and AFAIK the problem is that when applaunch.sh kills XBMC it inherits all its file handles (including port binds). This means that the process hogging port :8080 becomes applaunch.sh, and when XBMC relaunches it can't start the web server because the port has already been bound. I googled a bit and asked on various IRC support channels on how to prevent this but I didn't get any answer.

@malte: could you package future versions of RCB with an executable version of applaunch.sh so that people don't have to manually chmod +x it?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-11-17

DeliriumTremens Wrote:I tried with Confluence, Simplicity, and Night (dark?) something like that -- the three default skins. They all behave the same way. I suppose I could delete my db/cache and rescrape and see if that helps.
Hmmm, I don't think thats the problem. Maybe you can make a copy of your current db and config and start from scratch with a handful of games and see if there are problems with certrain games.

negge Wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the applaunch.sh script so that the XBMC web server would start normally when XBMC is re-launched.
Never heard of this behaviour. One thing you could try is to use the web server itself to shutdown XBMC instead of killing it. But I am not sure if this will change the posession of the web server process. Here is explained how to do this.

negge Wrote:@malte: could you package future versions of RCB with an executable version of applaunch.sh so that people don't have to manually chmod +x it?
Not sure if I am able to do this. I am on a Windows box right now and here I don't have any execute rights. I guess I have to check-in the file from a linux box when I get my hands on one.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - negge - 2012-11-17

(2012-11-17, 12:49)malte Wrote: Never heard of this behaviour. One thing you could try is to use the web server itself to shutdown XBMC instead of killing it. But I am not sure if this will change the posession of the web server process. Here is explained how to do this.

Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately it was the first thing I tried and while the shutdown worked as expected (this should perhaps be the default way of killing XBMC since there's no need to sleep and wait for an eventual kill -9) the port issue still remained.

malte Wrote:
negge Wrote:@malte: could you package future versions of RCB with an executable version of applaunch.sh so that people don't have to manually chmod +x it?
Not sure if I am able to do this. I am on a Windows box right now and here I don't have any execute rights. I guess I have to check-in the file from a linux box when I get my hands on one.

All you'd need is a virtual machine.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - kwoodkicker - 2012-11-18

I have spent a few hours reading about this phenomenal program and have searched the forum over. For the life of me I cannot understand how to get my roms to import from my storage drive. Basically I have two hard drives, with Windows being on an SSD and all my media on an internal SATA drive. I have tried over and over again to import my Roms from the media drive to no avail. I decided to test and see if I placed a rom and the emulator on the Windows drive if it would work, and sure enough it worked. Is there any way around this? I don't have nearly enough room on my SSD for my roms.

EDIT:

I figured it out! So I had the number of Roms in a given directory bracketed at the end of the folder with [ ]

This was adding an extra \ at the end of the folder it was trying to look up. Very odd bug, but i figured it out. Just deleted the Rom count from the folder name and everything went fine. Below is an example of what was happening.

00:32:53 T:3716 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Rom path: ['E:\\Console Emulation\\Super Nintendo\\Super Nintendo Roms [26]\\*.smc']

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-11-18

negge Wrote:Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately it was the first thing I tried and while the shutdown worked as expected (this should perhaps be the default way of killing XBMC since there's no need to sleep and wait for an eventual kill -9) the port issue still remained.
Sorry, no idea then. Not sure about using this as default way because not everybody has the XBMC web server enabled. But I am still playing around with all the solo mode stuff and I want to make some changes in one of the next releases.

negge Wrote:could you package future versions of RCB with an executable version of applaunch.sh so that people don't have to manually chmod +x it?
Done. After resurrecting my old linux box and setting everything up with svn I learned that file rights are not commited via svn. But there is an easy way to set the file right via SVN tools even from Windows Smile

kwoodkicker Wrote:I figured it out! So I had the number of Roms in a given directory bracketed at the end of the folder with [ ]
Sorry for this. It is a known bug. Will hopefully be fixed soon.