Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Adam7288 - 2013-11-08

Hey guys is there a way to do a splash screen loading animation while the .bat file is being loaded in windows? It would really add a lot to the experience.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Adam7288 - 2013-11-08

Now that I think about it more, a fade to black animation would be more appropriate and enhance the feeling of responsiveness.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - sudopinion - 2013-11-08

typically, a batch file loads extremely fast. How big is your batch file? Is it using something like start /w?

The batch file itself loads quick, but then it still has to wait for the emulator exe to load. That whole process takes approx 1-2 seconds, during which you can still move around the xbmc menu. It doesn't feel "solid" and "seemless". If the xbmc screen faded to black, then the next thing you would see would be the emulator loading.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - sudopinion - 2013-11-08

i understand. Unfortunately the only real way I've seen to create a seamless experience is with Hyperlaunch (part of hyperspin), which uses loading screens via custom scripts that look for events in the emulators.
My tool ROM-JACKET contains a utility that launches batchscripts invisibly, but you still get the desktop while the emu is loading.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/413403/BatchScriptLauncher.zip

RCB dashboard - ottorox - 2013-11-09

(2013-07-03, 06:33)malte Wrote:
Rikrok Wrote:Would it be possible to add a kiosk mode? When family/friends use Rom Collection Browser and accidentally go into the side menus they get confused, it would be really nice to have it fool proof. When you don't have a huge collection the filter isn't essential (or perhaps when you press up it just has a left/right system selector with icons).
Maybe something like this will come when there is a dashboard as a start page. This will add a start page where you can select the console and maybe I could add an option not to show the filters on the games pages

Hi Malte, i read this some time ago. Do you think that this feature will be included in a new release "soon"? I think that could be cool have a start page with consoles images and turn on kiosk mode ^^.

I love your work, RCB is awesome!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-11-13

Adam7288 Wrote:Hey guys is there a way to do a splash screen loading animation while the .bat file is being loaded in windows? It would really add a lot to the experience.
Maybe I could try to hide the command window but as sudopinion says you will still see the desktop. I could also try to draw a black screen somehow but I am quite sure that this will also not be as seemless as desired.

ottorox Wrote:Hi Malte, i read this some time ago. Do you think that this feature will be included in a new release "soon"? I think that could be cool have a start page with consoles images and turn on kiosk mode ^^.
If "soon" is "during the next one or two years", yes, I am quite sure this will happen "soon". Smile

The feature that you are describing will be part of a bigger rework of RCB. It is nothing that I will implement in the current release. I already started to work on this new version and I already made some good progress but unfortunately I had to pause my work on it two months ago, so everything is on hold right now. I hope that I will be able to resume it "soon" (Smile) but I can't promise anything about any end dates. Could be end of this year or end of next year or (more probably) something in between.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - ottorox - 2013-11-13

xDDDDD

thanks for the answer.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Adam7288 - 2013-11-13

(2013-11-13, 08:39)malte Wrote: Maybe I could try to hide the command window but as sudopinion says you will still see the desktop. I could also try to draw a black screen somehow but I am quite sure that this will also not be as seemless as desired.

Even something like the way advanced launcher does it - they hide the command window of .bat files (.sh in linux??) and then if you want it can also say "loading xx rom" in the bottom corner. That definitely makes it look a lot more professional.

With regards to you re-designing the interface - please do consider "playlists" which can be implemented like an m3u file, or something more flexible such as a tags system.

Wouldn't it be great if, instead of seeing 3000 roms and be bombarded by choice, to select "gamepro's top 100 snes games of all time" or "adam's fav NES games". Customization, simplicity, and dare I say curation would be achievable.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - sudopinion - 2013-11-13

If there were some sort of event that could be captured.
Does retroarch do anything like that?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - silvers46 - 2013-11-18

Can someone help me set this up with the latest retroarch? ive tried setting the emu params and still cant get it going. ex snes_next_libretro.dll "%ROM%" is not working. i have also tried -f -D -L aswell.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Adam7288 - 2013-11-18

try actually launching it manually in the command line so you can see what retroarch is saying - it usually provides a failure reason. Barring that you can always check the event viewer in windows (assumed windows since you mentioned dll)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-11-18

I also added the path to the retroarch configfile in my params (not sure anymore why I did it like this):
Code:
"%ROM%" -c "C:\Program Files\Emulatoren\retroarch-win32-0.9.8-beta2\retroarch.cfg" -f -D -L libretro-git-genplus-x86.dll

As Adam says you should first try to run the command on command line and see what comes around.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - silvers46 - 2013-11-18

ok will give that a go and report back. thank you

ok im not entirely sure how to when you say " launching it manually in the command line " but when i try to launch the game a command prompt automatically shows up. what happens is it tries to load the core for the last game that i launched. ex if i launched a snes rom then exit and try to launch a genesis rom it will launch the genesis rom in snes9x which of course wont work.