Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Zpectre87 - 2016-03-18

(2016-03-11, 16:16)Tetriser Wrote: hi

I'm new to both Kodi and RCB.

I want to find a good emulator frontend for my laptop, but none of those I found is useful. The frontends that I found is EmulationStation (broken scraper, cannot find games with punctuation marks like F-Zero or Pac 'n Roll), LaunchBox (since the developer changed the app to include paid features, I've no idea if I want to use this anymore...), AdvanceMenu (customizable, but not really good) and mGalaxy (tad outdated...).

Finally, I downloaded and installed Kodi and RCB. But there's a block that prevents it from working properly.

When I want to scrape infos for a Pokémon game, it wasn't updated. After observing the log file, I've found the problem:

ERROR: C:\Users\Tetriser\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib\dbupdate.py:692: UnicodeWarning: Unicode unequal comparison failed to convert both arguments to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal

I'm not sure if I'm correct, but I'm really sure that this could be Python's limitations with Unicode characters (as the word Pokémon has a Unicode character "é", I dunno), so it rollback into an emty response or "null result".

In my list I usually don't have ROMs whose names have accents in them. In LaunchBox the problem is the opposite, it can't scrape Pokémon metadata from my ROMs because it requires the accent.

The plugin itself is fine, but these scraper sucks, not the code's fault but the websites don't function right. Recently TGDB was struck by their host because of data overload, which sucks because it's the most reliable DB. GameFAQs is a walled garden unfortunately, which is why malte didn't even bother coding a scraper for it, and the others are either slow or broken.

The LaunchBox DB will be open to contribution but I have some bad suspicion that they won't allow anyone but LaunchBox itself to scrape it for data, since if you can use a free program that looks better and integrates better with Kodi instead of the $20 BigBox then what is the point of BigBox, right? Wink

Nevertheless, if the RetroPlayer manages to make its way into Krypton 17 then these launcher addons will become obsolete, I think.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - sudopinion - 2016-03-18

(2016-03-18, 06:56)Zpectre87 Wrote:
(2016-03-11, 16:16)Tetriser Wrote: hi

I'm new to both Kodi and RCB.

I want to find a good emulator frontend for my laptop, but none of those I found is useful. The frontends that I found is EmulationStation (broken scraper, cannot find games with punctuation marks like F-Zero or Pac 'n Roll), LaunchBox (since the developer changed the app to include paid features, I've no idea if I want to use this anymore...), AdvanceMenu (customizable, but not really good) and mGalaxy (tad outdated...).

Finally, I downloaded and installed Kodi and RCB. But there's a block that prevents it from working properly.

When I want to scrape infos for a Pokémon game, it wasn't updated. After observing the log file, I've found the problem:

ERROR: C:\Users\Tetriser\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib\dbupdate.py:692: UnicodeWarning: Unicode unequal comparison failed to convert both arguments to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal

I'm not sure if I'm correct, but I'm really sure that this could be Python's limitations with Unicode characters (as the word Pokémon has a Unicode character "é", I dunno), so it rollback into an emty response or "null result".

In my list I usually don't have ROMs whose names have accents in them. In LaunchBox the problem is the opposite, it can't scrape Pokémon metadata from my ROMs because it requires the accent.

The plugin itself is fine, but these scraper sucks, not the code's fault but the websites don't function right. Recently TGDB was struck by their host because of data overload, which sucks because it's the most reliable DB. GameFAQs is a walled garden unfortunately, which is why malte didn't even bother coding a scraper for it, and the others are either slow or broken.

The LaunchBox DB will be open to contribution but I have some bad suspicion that they won't allow anyone but LaunchBox itself to scrape it for data, since if you can use a free program that looks better and integrates better with Kodi instead of the $20 BigBox then what is the point of BigBox, right? Wink

Nevertheless, if the RetroPlayer manages to make its way into Krypton 17 then these launcher addons will become obsolete, I think.

I think you may find that ultimately, kodi is far superior to launchbox if given a bit of effort. If you want more granular control, Advanced-Launcher is great.
Launchbox has extensive features, and it's quick to setup.

HOWEVER

The developer of launchbox is using a proprietary cataloging scheme which obfuscates the names of artwork assets so I would suspect that even if the db is open to contribution, there is little to no reason in maintaining a standardized convention, in fact, given that it's payware it would seem that it's inevitable.

I don't know how he views himself in the community. Perhaps he's just trying to feed himself like any normal person.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Zpectre87 - 2016-03-18

(2016-03-18, 07:57)sudopinion Wrote: I think you may find that ultimately, kodi is far superior to launchbox if given a bit of effort. If you want more granular control, Advanced-Launcher is great.
Launchbox has extensive features, and it's quick to setup.

HOWEVER

The developer of launchbox is using a proprietary cataloging scheme which obfuscates the names of artwork assets so I would suspect that even if the db is open to contribution, there is little to no reason in maintaining a standardized convention, in fact, given that it's payware it would seem that it's inevitable.

I don't know how he views himself in the community. Perhaps he's just trying to feed himself like any normal person.

IMO right now it's not worth $20. I was disappointed to learn that what's in the videos is all there is to it. It's also not very customizable. I won't renew my license.

I heard the lifetime license used to be $20 but the dev upped it to $50...

I really wanted preview videos but I suspect I'll need that EmuMovies subscription to get a hold of those.

Now, back on topic, it definitely concerns me that RCB has gone on without updates for a long time. But it still works ok, so maybe malte doesn't feel like it needs major work yet. He was also busy with RL and those things can be showstoppers. Sad It's also not his fault that the DBs themselves are buggy.

The biggest problem with the frontends we have for Kodi right now is that they're very "rigid", they require that the skinner supports them, and not all skins support either AL or RCB, or both.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Zpectre87 - 2016-03-21

(2016-03-18, 07:57)sudopinion Wrote: I think you may find that ultimately, kodi is far superior to launchbox if given a bit of effort.

And indeed it is.

My steps:

1) Use only, and ONLY the TGDB scraper for the first run, with "Automatic: Accurate" setting. You'll get 90% of your games this way.
2) For the missing games, use TGDB again, but in INTERACTIVE mode. Don't be lazy, and scan those missing games one by one. Tongue There are very few undocumented games RCB won't get this way.
3) If there are still missing games, you can use either GiantBomb scraper (though I suspect they've been blocking people who scrape their website...), or local scraper with images downloaded from TGDB.
4) To make sure your experience is seamless, turn on "Run Emulator in Solo Mode" option, and run Kodi in true fullscreen mode. You don't need to run on windowed fullscreen if your TV is your only screen. This makes it so that Kodi is closed when you run the emulator and restarts once you quit it.
5) If you use Launcher4Kodi as your shell, you MUST turn on "Disable Focus Permanently", because if you don't, Kodi will keep trying to regain focus while you're running your emulator.

I'm using Aeon MQ6 skin, with native RCB support. Unfortunately, some of the menus are broken. I want to try and fix it somehow.

Of course, to have all the bells and whistles, you need an EmuMovies subscription, but TGDB gets you the basics.

It looks prettier and is more customizable than BigBox, and it's free. Smile

I also suggest trimming down your collection before importing. I erased the vast majority of Japanese and European releases, got only the latest revisions, etc. No need for junk you either won't play or can't play because of language barrier.

For RetroArch setup I recommend reading my post in my sig but instead of using --appendconfig just use the custom config as the main one (for example -c config\Nestopia.cfg).

MobyGames scraper is broken, we'll need malte to come back and do something about it, I'm afraid. Sad

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Loto_Bak - 2016-03-23

We don't need to wait for the original Dev.
The code is open just need to be fixed up.

I'll try and get around to looking at it later but my time is occupied by RL work these days.

I use rcb without scraping. I set all scrapers to local nfos
I don't get cover art but haven't the time to fuck around.
This gets it up and running. I added a small patch to the %romname% variable to handle custom pcsx2 config directories.

All code work should be done here
https://github.com/anarcat/romcollectionbrowser

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - mystik_al - 2016-03-23

(2016-03-23, 09:40)Loto_Bak Wrote: I added a small patch to the %romname% variable to handle custom pcsx2 config directories.

any chance you could share the arguments you use to specify unique configs for PS2 games?

I have found that as long as the rom names are similar to the titles listed on TGDB the scraper pulls artwork and info with a %95 success rate, then once you have the romset + scraped artwork and infos the whole set can be reimported using the "local info" setting.

it took me a while to go through all my roms correcting the names but once done the scraper works really well on the "accurate" setting, then the "guess match" setting worked on the few games that got missed the first run.

I totally agree about the open source nature of RCB ,its works extremely well and only needs small tweaks here and there to be perfect.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Loto_Bak - 2016-03-23

Sure,

In rom collection browser code I added

/lib/launcher.py line 420
https://github.com/anarcat/romcollectionbrowser/blob/master/resources/lib/launcher.py
Code:
    romname_nospace = os.path.splitext(os.path.basename(rom))[0].replace(" ", "_")
    emuParams = emuParams.replace('%romname_nospace%', romname_nospace )
    emuParams = emuParams.replace('%ROMNAME_NOSPACE%', romname_nospace )
    emuParams = emuParams.replace('%Romname_Nospace%', romname_nospace )

Be aware that python is white space aware! Make sure the indentation is correct otherwise you'll get errors.

My config.xml uses the options (from memory sorry!)
Code:
--fullscreen --fullboot --cfgpath="c:\users\<username>\Documents\PCSX2\<config directory>\%ROMNAME_NOSPACE%.ini"

Thats from memory... I think thats right.
I forget the name of the <config directory> in the pcsx2 directory. Just look for the one with ini's in it.

The problem with this setup is that it makes a new config for each and every game.
this means the first time you run EVERY game the config screen pops up and you have to select a bios, change to 16:9 and configure the gfx plugin.
Its kind of a pain the first time you play each game but it allows custom configs when some games need different settings
I needed it for Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 which needs skipdraw:5

Hope that helps

*edit
Don't be tempted by the -cfg="file" setting. It does not store plugin settings which are the ones that need to be changed for some games.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Girgl - 2016-03-23

(2016-03-23, 18:08)Loto_Bak Wrote: Sure,

https://github.com/anarcat/romcollectionbrowser/blob/master/resources/lib/launcher.py
Code:

Be aware that python is white space aware! Make sure the indentation is correct otherwise you'll get errors.

Code:
--fullscreen --fullboot --cfgpath="c:\users\<username>\Documents\PCSX2\<config directory>\%ROMNAME_NOSPACE%.ini"

I forget the name of the <config directory> in the pcsx2 directory. Just look for the one with ini's in it.

The problem with this setup is that it makes a new config for each and every game.
this means the first time you run EVERY game the config screen pops up and you have to select a bios, change to 16:9 and configure the gfx plugin.
Its kind of a pain the first time you play each game but it allows custom configs when some games need different settings

Hope that helps

That's brilliant! I really hope somebody with the right skills goes about working on this wonderful addon, as Malte seems to be missing in action.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Zpectre87 - 2016-03-23

(2016-03-23, 18:08)Loto_Bak Wrote: Sure,

Code:

Code:

Hope that helps

*edit
Don't be tempted by the -cfg="file" setting. It does not store plugin settings which are the ones that need to be changed for some games.

Thanks. This could be modified to use RetroArch different configs when necessary.

Oh sure. I havn't had need for custom configs on retro really.
I just use
Code:
-L /path/to/retro/code.dll %ROM%

Has anyone had issues with kodi not going back fullscreen after closing retroarch?
ppsspp, pcsx2 and others do not seem to have this problem

Oh I'd also like to share a small trick I use with eventghost to close pcsx2 and dolphin

I use the guide button to close both of them using keystroke emulation.
Eventghost has a plugin that shows when windows are focused and defocused.
On focus I use a action the enables the guide button to do keystrokes alt-f4 + alt-f4
On defocus I disable this action.
Same with pcsx2 but I use esc and alt-f4.
This way the guide button works normally everywhere else but I can quit these emulators without a keyboard/mouse

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - trihy - 2016-03-25

Guys, since code is open, any chance to add new emulators? Model 2, 3, cemu, xenia, rpcsx3, etc...

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Zpectre87 - 2016-03-25

(2016-03-23, 18:28)Loto_Bak Wrote: Oh sure. I havn't had need for custom configs on retro really.
I just use
Code:
-L /path/to/retro/code.dll %ROM%

Has anyone had issues with kodi not going back fullscreen after closing retroarch?
ppsspp, pcsx2 and others do not seem to have this problem

I did. I fixed it but don't remember what I did, probably used either popen launch or solo mode.

I had another problem which killed my interest in the addon. Sad Windows games launched via RCB have no sound. And also it can't scan my *.lnk shortcuts, only *.url which are Steam-like links.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - trihy - 2016-03-26

I can scan lnk and url and windows games have sound.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Zpectre87 - 2016-03-26

(2016-03-26, 19:17)trihy Wrote: I can scan lnk and url and windows games have sound.

My problem is weird. Sad Which are your settings?