Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2018-05-22

(2018-05-22, 18:52)tris20 Wrote: Working great so far thanks guys.

Only wish I have to have a menu where you can choose the system you want and then there are the games. And not everything in one list.
Atm this can only be done with the game filter. It is planned to add an extra view that allows you to browse systems and then go to the games of the selected system. But it will take some time until I start working on this.
(2018-05-22, 19:46)coverflow_rider Wrote: Thanks for the assist. I was able to get it to work in part by doing a clean install of RCB. I removed it and made sure I had the latest form the Git. I'm also running the same setup Kodi you are. I was able to start pulling info from GiantBomb now, but there is a new weird issue.

I have a full US set of NES roms (totaling over 700). For some reason, it pulls the info for the games up to the letter M, then it skips to the T section and picks up from there. Then it misses a bunch more after that. Total, I only end up with about 200 roms scrapped. Any idea what's going on there?
Strange, never heard this before. Sounds like connectivity issues or maybe a temporary ban from giantbomb. Did you try again a bit later if still the same games are missing? If you still have issues please provide a log file of this attempt.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2018-05-23

New test version available: 2.2.1

List of changes:
General
  • update console list (added new platforms, fixed errors for giantbomb scraper)
  • new option in context menu: Scan Artwork Directories
Import Games
  • support platforms with MAME style naming in offline Game-database-info scraper
Browse Games
  • improve performance of loading game list
  • revert dynamic loading of artwork files (artwork is stored in database again)

previous version: 2.2.0

This release mainly increases the performance of loading the game list. Especially on small devices like Raspberry Pi loading the list could be a pain with bigger databases. To give you some numbers:
I used a testset of 6.2k games. On my RPi (1B) it took 88 seconds to load 32 games to the list. The complete startup procedure took 01:54. Now I am down to 3 respectively 11 seconds.

On my (8 year old) dev notebook I got these numbers to load the full set of 6.2k games to the list:
2.1.5    36 seconds
2.2.0    21 seconds (with loading gamelist and clearlogo artwork)
2.2.0    06 seconds (without loading any artwork)
2.2.1    02 seconds (including all artwork and game data)

Unfortunately I had to revert the dynamic loading of artwork that came with 2.2.0. I loved the idea that we do not need to import any artwork and everything loads just on the fly. But I think the numbers above show that this approach is not the way to go.

As a compromise I tried to simplify the process of updating artwork and added a new option to the context menu: Scan Artwork Directories:

This option will just walk down all of your artwork directories and updates RCBs database without doing any scraping or changes to your game data.

The second noticeable change is the update of the console list. There have been many errors in the platform mapping for giantbomb and lot of platforms that have been added to thegamesdb were still missing in RCBs mappings. I also added some more platforms that have not been available at all in previous releases.

As there have been many changes to the database layout you will also need to update the RCB Widget.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tris20 - 2018-05-23

Really weird thing happened. I started my oc and kodi and almost all the games were gone. How can this happen? I'll try fresh install of kodi and rcb hope this doenst happen again. Because this is annoying haha.

But how could this happen I tried reaxrapijng but that didn't add anything

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2018-05-23

Maybe you used some filter setting that reduces your result set?

If you still have your database and your config file, you can send it to me and I'll have a look.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tris20 - 2018-05-24

(2018-05-23, 20:00)malte Wrote: Maybe you used some filter setting that reduces your result set?

If you still have your database and your config file, you can send it to me and I'll have a look.

No sorry reinstalled everything including kodi. Now I am at the new build of 2.2.1 and ow a new problem cones around. I can't add net collection. And in the config file I see GameCube and Nes. But it only shows GameCube and it doensy scrape nes.

I am on mobile now so I can't show you the config files. I'll do that tonight.

Thanks

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2018-05-24

Did you try to exit RCB and reopen it? I noticed the same behaviour when I added a Rom Collection that it just did not update its config in time. Next time I started RCB the new Rom Collection was available. I will fix this in next release.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tris20 - 2018-05-24

i did try that but with no succes. BUT i shutdown the pc and tried it just now and now i can scrape nes and ps2 collections. really strange. do you still want my config and settings file i can give them if you want.

an whole ather question. 

are there skins with more view style options? and how can i find them?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2018-05-25

(2018-05-24, 23:15)tris20 Wrote: i did try that but with no succes. BUT i shutdown the pc and tried it just now and now i can scrape nes and ps2 collections. really strange. do you still want my config and settings file i can give them if you want.
This is really strange. Usually it should be enough to just exit RCB. What OS and Kodi version are you using?
(2018-05-24, 23:15)tris20 Wrote: do you still want my config and settings file i can give them if you want
I just wanted to look into your config to check for the missing games, so I don't need it now.
(2018-05-24, 23:15)tris20 Wrote: are there skins with more view style options? and how can i find them?
I don't know what skins are providing RCB support. In earlier versions Aeon Nox and Aeon MQ had RCB views but I don't know if they still have.

I will also add more views in next releases and also plan to add color schemes to better integrate RCB in other skins than Estuary. But this will take some more weeks until it is done.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tris20 - 2018-05-25

I am on Windows 10 64bit. And kodi 17.6.

And great news for extra views. Thanks for the support.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tris20 - 2018-05-27

Ok so far I get everything to work with retroarch except psx. I use the right core but it doesn't start.
I'm on win10.
Tries some command-line statements but without success. Can someone point me in the right direction?

fixed it had a couple of arguments that i copied from nes and snes removed that and now its working great.

Error while launching emulator : encode () argument 1 must be string, not none - JarlMattson - 2018-05-27

After updating from 2.1.2 to 2.2.0, I am getting "Error while launching emulator : encode () argument 1 must be string, not none" when launching games. I'm not sure how to fix this and seeking input.

Everything worked fine on 2.1.2 running Krypton 17.6 on fire TV. I also tried updating to 2.2.1 and receive the same error when launching games. Do I need to update to Leia to use 2.2.0 or is it a matter of adjusting emulator launch parameters?

I would like to use 2.2.0 + as I love the new changes.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2018-05-27

(2018-05-27, 16:17)tris20 Wrote: Ok so far I get everything to work with retroarch except psx. I use the right core but it doesn't start.
I'm on win10.
Tries some command-line statements but without success. Can someone point me in the right direction?
You may need bios files for some psx games. Did you try to run retroarch with the -v option from command line? This will show you some extra information.

RE: Error while launching emulator : encode () argument 1 must be string, not none - malte - 2018-05-27

(2018-05-27, 18:57)JarlMattson Wrote: After updating from 2.1.2 to 2.2.0, I am getting "Error while launching emulator : encode () argument 1 must be string, not none" when launching games. I'm not sure how to fix this and seeking input.

Everything worked fine on 2.1.2 running Krypton 17.6 on fire TV. I also tried updating to 2.2.1 and receive the same error when launching games. Do I need to update to Leia to use 2.2.0 or is it a matter of adjusting emulator launch parameters?

I would like to use 2.2.0 + as I love the new changes.
Can you show me a log file after you tried to launch a game?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - JarlMattson - 2018-05-28

I'm away from home atm, but I have recreated the issue on my phone. Still get " Error while launching emulator : encode () argument 1 must be string, not none" when launching games.

https://paste.kodi.tv/mesihujeyo/

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - JarlMattson - 2018-05-28

https://paste.kodi.tv/mesihujeyo