Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

- Scrapper - 2011-02-10

It's looks like im supposed to delete my config.xml file but it is not in the path everyone keeps giving me. I first installed RBC by going through XBMC (and got 0.71) so would that place it somewhere else? I have since uninstalled it (via XBMC) and then reinstalled it by extracting the zip into the scripts folder now its 0.81

Also this is the screen im stuck in

http://tinypic.com/r/2vaxgd3/7

No way to get out, i uninstall and install and i just get put back here.

- malte - 2011-02-11

@scrapper: Yes, it seems that you have to delete your config.xml to run the wizard again. You'll find it in your userdata folder. Check this wiki page for "special://home". This is the place where you will find your config data. Note that these folders may be hidden on your system.

@ninog: Are you sure that you posted in the correct thread?

- kruuth - 2011-02-11

Say, is there a way to have RCB scrape the titles/descriptions when you add and then maybe the images later? Scraping 10k games takes over 8 hours for me.

- malte - 2011-02-11

You could achieve this with editing the scraper xml files but I guess you won't save any time with it. I think it is the opposite as the second run with only the images will take as long as it would take to scrape all info at once.

- kruuth - 2011-02-11

Ok. Just wondering....maybe something like having it scrape in the background then?

- tythings - 2011-02-12

I want to replace some of the front covers so I replace the jpg for the game in the boxfront directory but the image doesn't seem to change in xbmc...

I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Restarting xbmc doesn't seem to work, any suggestions?

- tythings - 2011-02-12

nevermind I fixed this by deleting the textures.db file in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Database

thanks for your script - I'm loving its thumbnail mode

- malte - 2011-02-12

kruuth Wrote:Ok. Just wondering....maybe something like having it scrape in the background then?
We are currently working on it. But it is still in testing / researching stage.

tythings Wrote:I want to replace some of the front covers so I replace the jpg for the game in the boxfront directory but the image doesn't seem to change in xbmc...

I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Restarting xbmc doesn't seem to work, any suggestions?
The images are coming from the thumbnail cache (XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails). But it will not be easy to find them in there. There will be an option to update images (and cache) from RCB some day. But this will take some timeSmile

- malte - 2011-02-13

Version 0.8.1 is marked as the featured version from now on and I already sent a pull request to get it into the repo.

I found some more encoding issues (f.e. when importing publisher with special characters from local nfos) but I guess they have been present in previous versions also. These error will hopefully be fixed with the next release. All new features work as expected.

The wiki should also be up to date with the new version.

Note to Night and Carmichael users: These skins are not yet up to date with the current version. But the script is fully functional, you will just get some Confluence-like default dialogs (context menu and import options dialog) because there is no skin specific file available.

- YodaEXE - 2011-02-14

So, I looked through the thread trying to find something to help, but I'm not seeing anything. Does anyone have a list of suggested emulators, and the configuration for them? For example, I'm trying to use Project64 to launch 64 games, but I get an error each time I try to launch a ROM file.

Ideally, I'd love instructions for NES, SNES, N64, GBA, and maybe Sega or something. I think this would be great to have in some sort of Quick-Start Guide on the wiki.

EDIT: Ah, found part of my problem. Apparently Project64 adds its own quotes around things, so you can't use "%ROM%". It needs to be simply %ROM%, and then it works fine. Things like this would be great to have in the wiki.

Implementation in Windows 7 x64 & x32 - misterfrog - 2011-02-14

schorsches Wrote:Hey there, hope someone can help me. I'm running Windows 7 x64 with Dharma and RCB 0.8
Starting emulators is great and works well but when it comes to switch back to xbmc after leaving a game xbmc freezes or is crashing.
I'm not sure if this is an RCB related problem, but dont know where to start searching.
schorsches

First of all, this interface looks amazing and I've been trying, with limited success, to get it working on two machines both running Windows 7 Ultimate x32 and x64. The scraping and images are working perfectly (trying to get mame to work) but I've had a number of problems in launching and returning to xbmc with the hanging xbmc screen. I have noticed that sometimes upon exiting the emulator that the return to xbmc is fine but if it hangs (usually after a couple of games) then it will never return to xbmc without a reboot. Schorsches "explorer" trick to relaunch didn't help me.

Launching mame in general strange. The cmd is called (from the xbox log) with:

"D:\emulators\mame\mame.exe" "D:\emulators\mame\roms\romname.zip"

This actually doesn't work from the command line at all(mame can't find the rom). In fact, none of the default configuration files are read when this command is input from a command line (outside of the program directory). I fixed this with explicitly putting the rompath into the configuration. However, joystick configurations and default mame configurations startup files are not read.

Any help would be appreciated.

- malte - 2011-02-14

YodaEXE Wrote:EDIT: Ah, found part of my problem. Apparently Project64 adds its own quotes around things, so you can't use "%ROM%". It needs to be simply %ROM%, and then it works fine. Things like this would be great to have in the wiki.
Angelscry (author of ALA) has started such a wiki. (Originally it was the idea that this becomes a project for the two of us and the users of our addons. But I am afraid that in the end he did it all aloneSad).

misterfrog Wrote:I have noticed that sometimes upon exiting the emulator that the return to xbmc is fine but if it hangs (usually after a couple of games) then it will never return to xbmc without a reboot. Schorsches "explorer" trick to relaunch didn't help me.
Did you try it in comination with launching in solo mode? At least you should get rid of the hang problem. What does it do now?

misterfrog Wrote:Launching mame in general strange. The cmd is called (from the xbox log) with:

"D:\emulators\mame\mame.exe" "D:\emulators\mame\roms\romname.zip"

This actually doesn't work from the command line at all(mame can't find the rom). In fact, none of the default configuration files are read when this command is input from a command line (outside of the program directory). I fixed this with explicitly putting the rompath into the configuration. However, joystick configurations and default mame configurations startup files are not read.

Did you try it with this command?
Code:
"C:\Program Files\mame\mame.exe" -inipath "C:\Program Files\mame" "%ROM%"
This is again from AS wiki: http://www.gwenael.org/xbmc/index.php?title=MAME_-_Windows#Windows

- warwon - 2011-02-14

I have the newest version running.

Takes a long time to scrape information for 2000+ roms.

One big issues that my wife has requested.

Can you find a way to select which monitor to display the software on or somthing.

As my XBMC is on the second screen, I have a monitor for other reasons.

When I kick into the emulator it goes to my first screen and kills XBMC.

ARgh

- misterfrog - 2011-02-15

Thanks a ton Malte. A few tries this evening and it seems to be working perfectly! Smile

To rehash for anyone else having similar problems, I was having problems getting mame to work in roms collection browser (rcb) using windows 7 ultimate x32 and x64. Problems were crashing when returning to xbmc from the emulator and not properly reading the roms directory or configuration files when the emulator was launched.

This was fixed by (in short)
1)putting rcb in solo mode
2) put inipath in the cmd call for the emulator
3) explicity putting paths into mame.ini
4) set the sleep in the applaunch.bat to 2 and launch the restart of xbmc with explorer (as per the previous poster)

In the c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\xbmc\userdata\config.xml file

The mame call should set the location (inipath) of the mame.ini file

Code:
<emulatorCmd>D:\Emulators\Mame\mame.exe</emulatorCmd>
<emulatorParams>-inipath d:\emulators\mame "%ROM%"</emulatorParams>
<romPath>D:\Emulators\mame\roms\*.zip</romPath>

The mame.ini file in the directory set above should have the rompath and location of the configuration files explicitly set (I just put in all the paths explicitly)

Code:
rompath                   D:\emulators\mame\roms
cfg_directory             D:\emulators\mame\cfg
nvram_directory           D:\emulators\mame\nvram
memcard_directory         D:\emulators\mame\memcard
input_directory           D:\emulators\mame\inp
state_directory           D:\emulators\mame\sta
snapshot_directory        D:\emulators\mame\snap

The c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\xbmc\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\applaunch.bat
was changed

Code:
REM SOMETIMES xbmc starts too fast, and on some hardware if there is still a millisecond of sound being used, XBMC starts witout sound and some emulators say there is a problem with the sound hardware. If so, remove comment:
sleep 2

REM Done? Restart XBMC
explorer "C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe"

malte Wrote:Angelscry (author of ALA) has started such a wiki. (Originally it was the idea that this becomes a project for the two of us and the users of our addons. But I am afraid that in the end he did it all aloneSad).

Did you try it in comination with launching in solo mode? At least you should get rid of the hang problem. What does it do now?

Did you try it with this command?
Code:
"C:\Program Files\mame\mame.exe" -inipath "C:\Program Files\mame" "%ROM%"
This is again from AS wiki: http://www.gwenael.org/xbmc/index.php?title=MAME_-_Windows#Windows

- kruuth - 2011-02-15

Say Malte, just throwing it out here, but would it be worth adding a little more customization to the emu selection? the %ROM% is nice, but there are certain emus people are going to use. Why not add some quick configs for emus like zsnes, MESS, or FCE?