Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

- DigiTech - 2011-04-14

Hi malte, today i was starting to add a new rom collection to RCB, selected playstation then to scrape info online and in the next screen when i have to specify the emulator route RCB only show available E:, it doesnt show C:,F: or G: where i usually have organized my other emulators and "add source" is gray and not selectable, its the first time it happens to me since the last version i had (0.81), today started with the new version (0.83) and had that problem

Yesterday i scanned my mp3 collection found G: as source and had no problems
only RCM doesnt allow me to select my other drives,,

what am i doing wrong?

thanks in advance.

- DigiTech - 2011-04-14

My bad i forgot to add source in xbmc, settings, file browser,,thanks!

- malte - 2011-04-14

TheCookieAddict Wrote:Although sometimes when I launch a game in RCB, and then close that window when I want to return to XBMC, the screen freezes and won't do anything. Luckily this isn't happening all the time, I'd say about 25% of the time.
This happened here, too. But not that often, I guess 5-10% of the time. And I did not notice it for a long time now. It happened only on Windows and never on (my) Linux. But I never found out why it happened and why it seems to be gone now.

TheCookieAddict Wrote:The thing I have now is, only like 1/3 of all my SNES games have the corresponding boxfront artwork
What scrapers did you use? I would expect it to find minimum 2/3 boxfronts and more than 90% action screenshots if you use mobygames, giantbomb and thegamesdb.

TheCookieAddict Wrote:I have already found some SNES artwork collections, but the artwork was in .png which didn't work in RCB.
Why not? I have a lot of .pngs working fine here. Are the files imported correctly? You must make sure that the filenames match with your romnames. You should use %GAME%.* as media file mask (should already be the default) and the image files should be named like "MyGame.png" if the rom name is "MyGame.zip" or "MyGame.smc".

One more trap: If you already have imported the game and it just did not find all artwork, RCB won't scrape this game again by default. You must set Always rescan imported games to "True" in Addon settings.

A hint to save time when just adding artwork to existing games:
- Set "Always rescan imported games" to "True" (otherwise it won't work)
- Set the scraper to "local nfo" (this will not waste any time with searching online again)
- [optional] Set Allow Update to "False". This will not overwrite existing game infos in db, just adding new artwork files. Note: This option is only available via config.xml, not yet available in the UI.

TheDeadSerious Wrote:Unfortunately, when I launch RCB from the according menu, XBMC just freezes and I have to restart it. I already read through the Google code wiki and tried to reinstall (via the integrated add-on browser), but to no effect. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
Can you provide a log file when this happened? Without it is hard to guess what is going wrong on your system. If you already restarted xbmc, I will need the xbmc.old.log.

- TheDeadSerious - 2011-04-14

malte Wrote:Can you provide a log file when this happened? Without it is hard to guess what is going wrong on your system. If you already restarted xbmc, I will need the xbmc.old.log.

Quote:13:34:13 T:2981301104 M:2858684416 WARNING: Previous line repeats 1 times.
13:34:13 T:2981301104 M:2858684416 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--

Just two lines, doesn't help much I suspect. I already set the log level to debug in RCB configs :/

Update:

rm -rf'ed .xbmc/addons/script.games... and the according dir in userdata, installed 0.8.3 from the google code zip, didn't change much:
Quote:13:39:32 T:2939538288 M:2901700608 WARNING: CreateLoader - Unsupported protocol(addons) in addons://more/executable.tbn
13:39:36 T:2961177456 M:2909577216 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--

Maybe it's also worth to mention that on the first press on RCB in the addon menu, it just seems to ignore the operation, while the second keypress leads to xbmc ui locking up

- malte - 2011-04-14

On my system it looks like this:
Code:
16:05:40 T:4184 M:973623296  NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
16:05:42 T:3036 M:939073536 WARNING: XFILE::CFileFactory::CreateLoader - Unsupported protocol(addons) in addons://more/executable.tbn
16:05:43 T:5956 M:937922560  NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
16:05:44 T:5956 M:928763904  NOTICE: RCB: init log level
16:05:44 T:5956 M:928755712  NOTICE: RCB: current log level: 2
16:05:44 T:5956 M:928755712  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Init Rom Collection Browser: C:\Users\malte\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser

So all the RCB stuff does not appear in your log? Can you try to reproduce this with XBMC and RCB in debug mode and then pastebin the complete log and post the link here? Maybe there is something else that could be of interest. (You can set RCB to debug in Addon settings)

If you want to fully remove and reinstall RCB, also make sure to remove the zip file from XBMC/addons/packages. I guess XBMC just reinstalls this one if it is still present.

- malte - 2011-04-14

TheDeadSerious Wrote:Maybe it's also worth to mention that on the first press on RCB in the addon menu, it just seems to ignore the operation, while the second keypress leads to xbmc ui locking up
Ok, maybe this is the point. I can reproduce this here 100%. Always when I press the key twice, XBMC locks up. Seems to be the same issue that kruuth reported several times but I was never able to reproduce it because I never did it like this. I will try to find out whats happening and provide a fix for it.

In the meantime: How long do you wait between the two key preses? I also noticed a little lack when I want to start RCB the first time. It may take some seconds until it asks you to create a config file etc.

- TheDeadSerious - 2011-04-14

malte Wrote:On my system it looks like this:
Code:
16:05:40 T:4184 M:973623296  NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
16:05:42 T:3036 M:939073536 WARNING: XFILE::CFileFactory::CreateLoader - Unsupported protocol(addons) in addons://more/executable.tbn
16:05:43 T:5956 M:937922560  NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
16:05:44 T:5956 M:928763904  NOTICE: RCB: init log level
16:05:44 T:5956 M:928755712  NOTICE: RCB: current log level: 2
16:05:44 T:5956 M:928755712  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Init Rom Collection Browser: C:\Users\malte\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser

So all the RCB stuff does not appear in your log? Can you try to reproduce this with XBMC and RCB in debug mode and then pastebin the complete log and post the link here? Maybe there is something else that could be of interest. (You can set RCB to debug in Addon settings)

If you want to fully remove and reinstall RCB, also make sure to remove the zip file from XBMC/addons/packages. I guess XBMC just reinstalls this one if it is still present.

Great success! Actually, removing the file from addons/packages as well as repeating the uninstall as mentioned in my previous post, then installing from the zip package made things work! Oddly, in my previous, failing install the config menu had a couple of submenus (tabs) on the left side, while now I have all config on a single page - even though the package in addons/packages was clearly named 0.8.3. Anyway, games are importing, looking forward to some fun Smile Thanks!

- malte - 2011-04-14

TheDeadSerious Wrote:Oddly, in my previous, failing install the config menu had a couple of submenus (tabs) on the left side, while now I have all config on a single page - even though the package in addons/packages was clearly named 0.8.3.
Yes, it is the same version. But the zip file is Dharma and Camelot compatible and Camelot did not support the categories in Addon settings. So I decided to ship it with the old fashioned settings file. (But this will be changed with the next version as there won't be much Camelot users anymore). If you want to have the category version again, you could just replace the settings file with the one from the repo.

The 2nd difference between the zip and the repo version is that the zip already contains all dependencies. The repo version has to rely on the modules already installed on your system. But this should result in error messages in xbmc.log and not in freezing the whole system...

- DigiTech - 2011-04-14

I have a situation right here, yesterday i started scraping my PSX rom collection, before that i had RCB ver 0.81 and havnt had any troubles (game boy advance,super nes,turbograph16,nes,mame,etc) all those rom collectios were in C:, i was running less in space so i tried to scan my new psx rom collection in G: with version 0.83:,since the beggining it started making the file list really slow like 2 hours even it isnt a huge psx rom collection, then it started scraping everything ( i always choose accurate then i choose a second pass choosing myself) apparently all was ok, it took like 3 hours to finish scraping,,but then...
Holy crap i couldt find the PSX new scanned rom collection in RCB interface nowhere, i closed the appication and restarted XBMC,then all was the same but here is the most strange thing, in the RCB console list it have listed PlayStation but when i see the correspondent roms all i found was game boy advance roms then checked the console list again to try to find the way back already scraped GameBoyAdvance Collection and it isnt,no GBA in console list it was replaced by "PlayStation" with GBA Roms to choose when i try to open a rom it chooses the PSX emulator that obviously cant do it, i doublechecked the config.xml and everything looks ok! the path to PSX,GBA, and other emulators are with the correct routes, RCB just doesnt show the recently scraped PSX collection even that it was scraped ok (it made the game image folders in the route i specified) but GBA collection roms is still there just listed under The "PlayStation"console,,
What possibly went wrong here?
Malte do i need to further post anything so we could possibly find if i made a mistake or something?
thanks like always!

- TheCookieAddict - 2011-04-14

malte Wrote:What scrapers did you use? I would expect it to find minimum 2/3 boxfronts and more than 90% action screenshots if you use mobygames, giantbomb and thegamesdb.

I used exactly those scrapers and a lot of the times I didn't get any boxfronts, even though the title of the game was spelled correctly (I don't really care about screenshots as I use the 3D landscape view), and when I DID get the boxfronts they were only from mobygames.
However I don't really mind this as the boxfronts that I got from the scrapers were kinda messy and I hate that mobygames watermark Tongue So I was wondering, there must be complete SNES boxfront collections for download somewhere, right? I'm sure other people that use RCB would want to have (or already have) a neat and complete collection of artwork to display their SNES games, so the only question now is; where can I find them?

malte Wrote:Why not? I have a lot of .pngs working fine here. Are the files imported correctly? You must make sure that the filenames match with your romnames. You should use %GAME%.* as media file mask (should already be the default) and the image files should be named like "MyGame.png" if the rom name is "MyGame.zip" or "MyGame.smc".

Yeah that's the mistake I made, the title of the game and the title of the artwork not having the same name, so that's fixed now.

malte Wrote:One more trap: If you already have imported the game and it just did not find all artwork, RCB won't scrape this game again by default. You must set Always rescan imported games to "True" in Addon settings.

A hint to save time when just adding artwork to existing games:
- Set "Always rescan imported games" to "True" (otherwise it won't work)
- Set the scraper to "local nfo" (this will not waste any time with searching online again)
- [optional] Set Allow Update to "False". This will not overwrite existing game infos in db, just adding new artwork files. Note: This option is only available via config.xml, not yet available in the UI.

I actually had the "Always rescan imported games" enabled, but when I changed the artwork of a single game and restarted RCB it wouldn't show the updated artwork, very weird... And the last hint you mentioned, can that be used to permanently change the titles of some games in RCB? Because I tried setting the scrape mode to "Interactive: select matches" (or something like that) but then I have to keep selecting those correct matches everytime I re-import the ROM collection, which is kind of a waste of time, I'd like them to stay labeled as the game that I just selected during the import process (or I just need to change the titles of those ROMS to how they are spelled in the scraping process).

- malte - 2011-04-14

DigiTech Wrote:since the beggining it started making the file list really slow like 2 hours even it isnt a huge psx rom collection, then it started scraping everything ( i always choose accurate then i choose a second pass choosing myself) apparently all was ok, it took like 3 hours to finish scraping
I am afraid that the searchGameByCRC option is "True" by default. This means that RCB tries to compute crc values for all your roms and as psx games have large files this takes a lot of time. You could disable this feature in config.xml.

DigiTech Wrote:Holy crap i couldt find the PSX new scanned rom collection in RCB interface nowhere, i closed the appication and restarted XBMC,then all was the same but here is the most strange thing, in the RCB console list it have listed PlayStation but when i see the correspondent roms all i found was game boy advance roms then checked the console list again to try to find the way back already scraped GameBoyAdvance Collection and it isnt,no GBA in console list it was replaced by "PlayStation" with GBA Roms to choose when i try to open a rom it chooses the PSX emulator that obviously cant do it, i doublechecked the config.xml and everything looks ok! the path to PSX,GBA, and other emulators are with the correct routes, RCB just doesnt show the recently scraped PSX collection even that it was scraped ok (it made the game image folders in the route i specified) but GBA collection roms is still there just listed under The "PlayStation"console,,
Maybe there is an error with the rom collection ids in config.xml? Sounds like PSX collection has the same id as the GBA collection and the games of both collections are mixed together. Did you create the PSX rom collection by hand in config.xml or per wizard?

If not, please upload your config.xml and a RCB debug log after starting the UI. If this all does not help you could send me your MyGames.db. Maybe I can find and fix the error in the db.

TheCookieAddict Wrote:I used exactly those scrapers and a lot of the times I didn't get any boxfronts, even though the title of the game was spelled correctly
Did you check if there was a boxfont on the scraped site? Just to find out if it is an error in RCBs scraper or if it is just lacking content at mobygames.

TheCookieAddict Wrote:but when I changed the artwork of a single game and restarted RCB it wouldn't show the updated artwork, very weird...
Did you add a new file or changed an existing one? If you add new files you also have to do a game import to grab the new files. If you changed an existing file it may be that you have to delete XBMCs image cache to make the change happen.

I think your situation is not supported very well in RCB right now (mixing online and offline content, updating artwork, etc.). Atm I am doing some refactoring of the import pocess and I hope that I am able to add some improvements to this scenario, too.

TheCookieAddict Wrote:And the last hint you mentioned, can that be used to permanently change the titles of some games in RCB? Because I tried setting the scrape mode to "Interactive: select matches" (or something like that) but then I have to keep selecting those correct matches everytime I re-import the ROM collection, which is kind of a waste of time, I'd like them to stay labeled as the game that I just selected during the import process (or I just need to change the titles of those ROMS to how they are spelled in the scraping process).
The scrape modes are just used to do the game matching: RCB has to grab the correct game from the scraped sites with just your rom filename as an indicator. As the names are not always fix like in case of MAME roms, there may be a lot of mismatches between your rom collection and the scraped site.

If you rebuild your library with the local nfo scrapers, the game matching is very easy because the nfo file has the same name as the rom file. So it does not matter which scraping mode you use.

The game name will remain unchanged in both scenarios (allowUpdate True or False): If you set allowUpdate to "False", it will not update the game info, so there is no name change. If it is set to "True" it will use the game name that is stored in the local nfo file. And this is the name that you already selected during your initial scrape.

If you rebuild your library with online scrapers, you have to do all the game selection again ofc.

Again, I will improve this scenario in one of the next versions. I think there will be an option to skip scraping game info and just check for new images available on your local HD.

- DigiTech - 2011-04-14

malte Wrote:I am afraid that the searchGameByCRC option is "True" by default. This means that RCB tries to compute crc values for all your roms and as psx games have large files this takes a lot of time. You could disable this feature in config.xml.

Maybe there is an error with the rom collection ids in config.xml? Sounds like PSX collection has the same id as the GBA collection and the games of both collections are mixed together. Did you create the PSX rom collection by hand in config.xml or per wizard?

If not, please upload your config.xml and a RCB debug log after starting the UI. If this all does not help you could send me your MyGames.db. Maybe I can find and fix the error in the db.

I used "false"in the PSX crc values then started to scan normally,,problem solved..

In the RCB config file both Playstation and game boy advance collections had the same ID (10) i just changed the PSX ID to 11 and then i could see GBA and psx in the menu but all the psx roms images were still in the GBA section i think all the routes to psx images and folders were still in the GBA database,so i deleted all the psx games in GBA section one by one choosing to delete game, as soon as i finished i went back to Playstation obvously it was empty and just started to add roms in this moment all the games images and info are scraping again from the web, all the psx images and roms info are still locally on their respective folders, when the scraper find that info is it going to scrape again? or will use the already downloaded data and only scrape new data?
What could cause the new PSX rom collection to use the same last ID created for the game boy advance collection (ID10)?
Could it be something with the new version 0.83 ? i havent added a new rom collection since 0.81.
The new PSX collection was created by the wizard, today was the first time i changed something in config.xml
-Thanks Malte-

- Dekthro - 2011-04-15

Is there a list of skins that support this?

- malte - 2011-04-15

DigiTech Wrote:all the games images and info are scraping again from the web, all the psx images and roms info are still locally on their respective folders, when the scraper find that info is it going to scrape again? or will use the already downloaded data and only scrape new data?
It will scrape all info from the web sites again but it will not download the images if they are already available locally. If you use the local nfo scraper instead of the online scrapers it will also use the local info.

DigiTech Wrote:What could cause the new PSX rom collection to use the same last ID created for the game boy advance collection (ID10)?
Could it be something with the new version 0.83 ? i havent added a new rom collection since 0.81.
The new PSX collection was created by the wizard, today was the first time i changed something in config.xml
It's a bug. I have to find and fix it. Thanks a lot for reporting.

Dekthro Wrote:Is there a list of skins that support this?
RCB is a script, not a plugin. This means it provides its own UI and does not rely on the skins doing this. So you can use RCB with all skins but it will always look like a Confluence addon.

If we want to have it looking like the currently used skin we have to add new layouts for every single skin. Atm this is only done for Night and Carmichael. All other skins will use the Confluence look and feel.

- malte - 2011-04-15

New version available: 0.8.4

Found and fixed the bug reported by DigiTech: If you have 10 and more Rom Collections, RCB did not increment the ids of new Rom Collections. This could lead to serious inconsistencies in your database.

This version is already marked as the new featured version as it just contains this one bug fix. I will request the repo pull in the next 1-2 days if nobody reports problems with this new version.

Thanks again, DigiTech, for finding and reporting this one!