Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Alaska Revisited - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: Alaska (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=126)
+----- Thread: [RELEASE] Alaska Revisited (/showthread.php?tid=70302)

- t2ffn - 2011-01-03

Hitcher Wrote:This is a know XBMC bug when updating the skin you are currently using.

It's best to switch skins first and then update.

Ah, I thought it was only an issue within Aeon MQ2.

Glad to see TV Tunes Big Grin

- Radikaltimes - 2011-01-03

strange .. fresh install .. the download is stuck in 0% for 5min now .. tried to close xbmc .. but not luck .. i'm going to restart the system..

i did check the addons folder in program files and the appdata .. no mention of the skin there..

next update in 2 min

---

Still 0% after reboot .. and yes i did check and i have internet access Smile

----
more info
the log file shows
19:35:06 T:3488 M:1259175936 WARNING: XFILE::CFileCurl::CReadState::FillBuffer: curl failed with code 22
19:35:06 T:3488 M:1259175936 ERROR: CFileCurl::CReadState::Open, didn't get any data from stream.

- TheHazel3yes - 2011-01-03

Hitcher Wrote:Also, I'm using the 'Home hide options' from the old Alaska so you can't hide Music, Movies or TV Shows - this is the best compromise for the time being.

Hm, but what good is the hide option then when it doesn't work anymore? I don't get it.

- meridius - 2011-01-03

couple of things in the new version

1 in wall poster view there is no fanart in the background which i think should be added as it looks a littile boring. Also have a look and night skin the wall view on that is top quality would love to see this sort of view added here its very smooth to as yours seems to be abit clunky sorry about what i said but just thought i would put my point a view over

2 the 2nd profile i have you can not hide the music view or tv shows view, you could hide anything on the older version now you can not which i am not to happy about.

why can you not have the same options to hide what you want like you can in the master profile you could on the older skin.

3 you still can not lock the 2nd profile without locking the first or master profile. why do you need to lock the master profile when you just want the 2nd profile to be locked as i dont want the master profile locked. i dont know if this is a skin thing or xbmc

thanks

oh version i am using is 2.2.1

Some things for 2.2.1 - ykmercurio - 2011-01-03

Hi Hitcher.

As this is my first post here - thanks for the great skin. I think I have tried all of them but still nothing beats Alaska revisited in cleanliness and style. Here's what I have found for the version 2.2.1:

1. If I turn off plot for Info/Fanart views in skin settings it does turn off for movies, but doesn't turn off for tv shows.
2. When going from Info View to Movie information screen I notice that poster dimensions/aspect ratio changes - i.e. the poster is getting "slimmer" which I think is not good. I have scaled/cropped all my posters as your posterframe.png (538x772 pxls)
3. I understand your reasoning for making actor thumbs small, but in my case I have spent a lot of time looking for hi-res images of actors and processing them (Alaska revisited is the only skin that allowed for hi-res actor images and could diplay them prperly) so if possible could you make an option to show actor thumbs just like in 2.1.2?

I keep testing and will let you know if something comes out, but looks very good so far!

The new Info List view is a nice addition, but it's bold font makes it look a bit unprofessional - Arial Black comes in mind.
Yes, right, I can go back to normal File view mode, BUT: I have to switch back for EVERY Add-on, EVERY Category of every Add-on and so on... Can't we just adjust one view mode for all Add-on browser windows?

And please give us back the option to remove items from the home screen (Music). Wink

One more thing: For a small TV (26", 1360x768) the new "watched" symbol in episode view is not as good visible as the old one as it filled out some space at the corner...

bold fonts - ykmercurio - 2011-01-03

And I like bold fonts Smile That's why I switched from files view to Info.

- Hitcher - 2011-01-03

TheHazel3yes Wrote:Hm, but what good is the hide option then when it doesn't work anymore? I don't get it.
There it's a hide option for those three selections though; they're only available in the other Home styles.

It seems I can't win with the original Home style so here's a little history lesson for those of you who haven't followed this from the beginning -

Alaska - no hide options at all.

Alaska - someone came up with a lot of conditional zooms, animations and slides so you could hide everything but Music, Movies and TV Shows.

Alaska Revisited - no hide options at all.

Alaska Revisited - I tried many, many times using a standard list to add hide options but failed.

Alaska Revisited - after J Marshall added separate multiimage controls to the non-focused list items I managed to come up with the option to hide any section. This however wasn't 100% perfect because of the quirkiness of the movement and the fact that the images changed to a different set when focused. And of course I got complaints about it.

Alaska Revisited - while waiting for GetLabel() to work with multiimage controls (the only way I think to fix the changing image problem) I decided go go back to original Alaska's hide method (conditional zooms, animations and slides) in a hope to balance the problems with both styles.

If, and I mean if, I get time or can be bothered I'll look into working out all the conditions for hiding the other three sections but it'll be no easy feat. If someone cares to look into it for me then I'll be most grateful.

- Hitcher - 2011-01-03

ykmercurio Wrote:Hi Hitcher.

As this is my first post here - thanks for the great skin. I think I have tried all of them but still nothing beats Alaska revisited in cleanliness and style. Here's what I have found for the version 2.2.1:

1. If I turn off plot for Info/Fanart views in skin settings it does turn off for movies, but doesn't turn off for tv shows.
2. When going from Info View to Movie information screen I notice that poster dimensions/aspect ratio changes - i.e. the poster is getting "slimmer" which I think is not good. I have scaled/cropped all my posters as your posterframe.png (538x772 pxls)
3. I understand your reasoning for making actor thumbs small, but in my case I have spent a lot of time looking for hi-res images of actors and processing them (Alaska revisited is the only skin that allowed for hi-res actor images and could diplay them prperly) so if possible could you make an option to show actor thumbs just like in 2.1.2?

I keep testing and will let you know if something comes out, but looks very good so far!

1. Fixed the Info List problem for Episodes but the Fanart plot hides just fine for me.

2. Firstly, there was no need to scale/crop anything as they are stretched to fit most views anyway. Secondly, Info List shows all images as they are.

3. I'll look into it.

- Hitcher - 2011-01-03

TheHazel3yes Wrote:The new Info List view is a nice addition, but it's bold font makes it look a bit unprofessional - Arial Black comes in mind.
Yes, right, I can go back to normal File view mode, BUT: I have to switch back for EVERY Add-on, EVERY Category of every Add-on and so on... Can't we just adjust one view mode for all Add-on browser windows?

And please give us back the option to remove items from the home screen (Music). Wink

One more thing: For a small TV (26", 1360x768) the new "watched" symbol in episode view is not as good visible as the old one as it filled out some space at the corner...
The bold font is exactly as djh originally designed it.

That's nothing to do with the skin just how XBMC remembers things.

See above.

@Hitcher: Thanks for your fast answer!
Ok, I get the history now... and of course, it is YOUR skin (mod), you're doing it for free and we are more than happy with your great work. I just wanted to point out what's gone worse for me. Maybe I should switch to another home screen view (the one with the symbols maybe). I always liked Aeon with its big fanart image in the background, I guess that's possible with Alaska too in some view modes?

- ykmercurio - 2011-01-03

Hitcher Wrote:1. Fixed the Info List problem for Episodes but the Fanart plot hides just fine for me.

I checked again and it's true. The problem was only with Episodes.

Hitcher Wrote:2. Firstly, there was no need to scale/crop anything as they are stretched to fit most views anyway. Secondly, Info List shows all images as they are.
3. I'll look into it.

Many thanks! Your support is awesome!

- Hitcher - 2011-01-03

meridius Wrote:couple of things in the new version

1 in wall poster view there is no fanart in the background which i think should be added as it looks a littile boring. Also have a look and night skin the wall view on that is top quality would love to see this sort of view added here its very smooth to as yours seems to be abit clunky sorry about what i said but just thought i would put my point a view over

2 the 2nd profile i have you can not hide the music view or tv shows view, you could hide anything on the older version now you can not which i am not to happy about.

why can you not have the same options to hide what you want like you can in the master profile you could on the older skin.

3 you still can not lock the 2nd profile without locking the first or master profile. why do you need to lock the master profile when you just want the 2nd profile to be locked as i dont want the master profile locked. i dont know if this is a skin thing or xbmc

thanks

oh version i am using is 2.2.1

1. Fanart on a wall view is pointless in my opinion because you can't see it and it makes it look messy. I could easily slow the animations down but I prefer the snappiness of Alaska myself.

2. See previous posts.

3. If this happens on other skins (which I think you'll find it does) then it's an XBMC issue and nothing to do with the Alaska.

- Metsadah - 2011-01-03

Is it me, or is this skin a little less snappy then the original Alaska. I'd prefer to use this one though, since it allows more customization. But especcially when returning to the main menu it feels a little bit jerky at times.

- Hitcher - 2011-01-03

TheHazel3yes Wrote:@Hitcher: Thanks for your fast answer!
Ok, I get the history now... and of course, it is YOUR skin (mod), you're doing it for free and we are more than happy with your great work. I just wanted to point out what's gone worse for me. Maybe I should switch to another home screen view (the one with the symbols maybe). I always liked Aeon with its big fanart image in the background, I guess that's possible with Alaska too in some view modes?
Yes, in the other Home style the folder/images you pick appear in the background as long as you enable it in the options.