Kodi Community Forum
2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS (/showthread.php?tid=70603)

- RockDawg - 2010-04-24

Any ideas on how I could troubleshoot this? Also, where is the db created and what is it's file name? I assumed xbmc_video since that is what we put in advasncedsettings.xml, but the only thing I see is a ibdata1 file in the MySQL Datafiles folder? Is this the actual db file?

- charrua - 2010-04-24

RockDawg Wrote:Any ideas on how I could troubleshoot this?
About the speed, it could be a number of things, it's difficult to pinpoint one without doing a lot of testing... Did you check on that strange behavior of XBMC you observed after the importing process? Also: do you have the same speed issue while connecting from the windows and the linux machines?
RockDawg Wrote:Also, where is the db created and what is it's file name? I assumed xbmc_video since that is what we put in advasncedsettings.xml, but the only thing I see is a ibdata1 file in the MySQL Datafiles folder? Is this the actual db file?
In your case (Win7) I believe that the db files are located under ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server x.x\data\ (one subdirectory per database) where x.x is the version of the MySQL server you installed (e.g. 5.1)

- Mrkennedy - 2010-04-25

Hi guys,

I planning on setting up 3 pc's with xbmc (2 revo and 1 w7 desktop) all media is shared from a media server (Hp smart) would it still be wise to do it this way instead of using smb?

- RockDawg - 2010-04-25

Oddly I fixed my problem by putting the db on one of my media server which run unRAID (Linux) instead of the Win7 machine. It is an even lower spec machine, but everything is performing much faster. They library import took ~45 minutes rather than ~3 hours and navigating the library seems pretty much as fast as when I was using a local db. It may be a split second slower, but it's definitely not a problem. Maybe there's a network problem with my Win7 machine? Now I just have to try getting my thumbs centralized and see if that gets too slow. Thanks for all the help.

- RockDawg - 2010-04-25

Accessing my db seems fine, but it won't scan in any new videos. Here is a log:

http://pastebin.com/1nC1xYZF

EDIT: Never mind. My sources were set to be excluded from scans. I unchecked that and all is fine.

- RockDawg - 2010-04-26

charrua Wrote:You're very welcome.

Yes, mklink is a windows command.
If you want to use the same server for hosting the MySQL db and the shared cache folder, then you should share the folder thumbnails inside the userdata folder of XBMC on your Win7 server and then create the symbolic link to that folder from the Linux clients running this command from the linux shell from inside the userdata folder of XBMC
Code:
ln -s [i]shared_cache_folder[/i] thumbnails
where shared_cache_folder is the name of the network shared folder holding the image cache in Win7.

I'm having a bit if trouble creating the symlink to my thumbnails folder. I copied the thumbnails folder from my XBMC box to a folder (xbmc_thumbs) on a disk on my server. The network location is \\Tower1\disk7\xbmc_thumbs\Thumbnails. Therefore I ran:

Code:
root@XBMCLive:/home/kevin/.xbmc/userdata# ln -s \\Tower1\disk7\xbmc_thumbs\Thumbnails thumbnails

It indeed created a symlink, but it doesn't seem to be pointing to the correct location as no thumbs show in my library. Is my syntax wrong? Both server and client are Linux if it matters.

- charrua - 2010-04-26

RockDawg Wrote:I'm having a bit if trouble creating the symlink to my thumbnails folder. I copied the thumbnails folder from my XBMC box to a folder (xbmc_thumbs) on a disk on my server. The network location is \\Tower1\disk7\xbmc_thumbs\Thumbnails. Therefore I ran:
Code:
root@XBMCLive:/home/kevin/.xbmc/userdata# ln -s \\Tower1\disk7\xbmc_thumbs\Thumbnails thumbnails
It indeed created a symlink, but it doesn't seem to be pointing to the correct location as no thumbs show in my library. Is my syntax wrong? Both server and client are Linux if it matters.
Try with:
Code:
ln -s smb://Tower1/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails thumbnails
(I'm assuming that you have Samba installed on Linux since you also have a Windows client to share files with)

- RockDawg - 2010-04-27

charrua Wrote:Try with:
Code:
ln -s smb://Tower1/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails thumbnails
(I'm assuming that you have Samba installed on Linux since you also have a Windows client to share files with)

I am having zero luck with this. In researching this, I saw a post where someone said that the Link command can't use UNC paths and that's why it isn't working. I found reference to it at least being able to use local UNC paths, but nothing on remote UNC paths. Does anybody have this working in an all Linux environment? If so, how did you get the link working?

- MrDVD - 2010-04-27

Hallo, you can reach the smb share path via console or mighnight commander ?

- RockDawg - 2010-04-27

I'm not sure. I didn't try that. I'll give that a shot when I get home. Just to be sure, from the client PC would I just run:

Code:
smb://Tower1/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails

- charrua - 2010-04-27

RockDawg Wrote:I am having zero luck with this. In researching this, I saw a post where someone said that the Link command can't use UNC paths and that's why it isn't working. I found reference to it at least being able to use local UNC paths, but nothing on remote UNC paths. Does anybody have this working in an all Linux environment? If so, how did you get the link working?
Try mounting the network shared folder:
Code:
mount -t cifs //Tower1/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails thumbnails

- RockDawg - 2010-04-28

charrua Wrote:Try mounting the network shared folder:
Code:
mount -t cifs //Tower1/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails thumbnails

I get the following error:

Code:
root@XBMCLive:/home/kevin/.xbmc/userdata# mount -t cifs //Tower1/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails Thumbnails
mount error: could not resolve address for Tower1: Name or service not known
No ip address specified and hostname not found
root@XBMCLive:/home/kevin/.xbmc/userdata# mount -t cifs //192.168.1.20/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails Thumbnails
mount error: can not change directory into mount target Thumbnails

- charrua - 2010-04-28

RockDawg Wrote:I get the following error:

Code:
root@XBMCLive:/home/kevin/.xbmc/userdata# mount -t cifs //Tower1/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails Thumbnails
mount error: could not resolve address for Tower1: Name or service not known
No ip address specified and hostname not found
root@XBMCLive:/home/kevin/.xbmc/userdata# mount -t cifs //[url=http://192.168.1.20/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails]192.168.1.20/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails[/url] Thumbnails
mount error: can not change directory into mount target Thumbnails
You have to create the folder first:
Code:
mkdir Thumbnails
then give it full permissions:
Code:
chmod 777 Thumbnails
Then run the mount command:
Code:
mount -t cifs //[url=http://192.168.1.20/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails]192.168.1.20/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails[/url]  Thumbnails
If you need different credentials to access the remote path you need to specify the -o option at the end indicating username and password, like this:
Code:
mount -t cifs //[url=http://192.168.1.20/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails]192.168.1.20/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails[/url]  Thumbnails -o username=YOUR_USER,password=YOUR_PASSWORD
Remember that for more info you can always use:
Code:
man mount

- RockDawg - 2010-04-28

Thank you so much! I was thinking this would be like the link command and create the Thumbnails folder. So that was the problem all along. Thumbs on the server runs fine. It takes about an extra second to open my movies list with ~930 movies in it. I am really grateful for everyone's help! Thanks!

- lestat1977uk - 2010-04-29

Quick Update

the remote plugins and scripts doesn't work, fails when you try to do updates, i guess the system is looking for them locally.

However got remote thumbnails working really well now when i upgraded all my equipment to gigabit, can hardly tell the difference!