Kodi Community Forum
2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS (/showthread.php?tid=70603)

- charrua - 2010-04-30

lestat1977uk Wrote:Fair play that may be the only way to go, just a question.. has anyone else done this yet, or am i the first to try doing music?
I've configured and scanned all my music info into the MySQL music db without any of these problems, but I don't know about others.

- craigd - 2010-04-30

I can't offer any advice but can confirm my nusic db created ok. gave user full rights through mysql workbench and let xbmc create schema and all working ok so far.

- lestat1977uk - 2010-05-01

i'm using root as the user could that be the problem?

Craig how do i assign permissions in MySQL workbench?

It's missing the views and i think the triggers, can anyone help me create them manually?

- hermy65 - 2010-05-01

So i would then change the path to something like //server/movies/ ? or will i have to map a drive to the path and then edit the library to point to the new mapped drive?

RockDawg Wrote:If the paths are different then yes. But what you could do relatively easily though is export your library, then open that file in a text editor and do a "find and replace" on the portion of the text string for the path that will change.

- RockDawg - 2010-05-02

When you export you library in XBMC it will create a .xml file which you can edit with a text editor. In the file change the path to whatever the new path should be. Ex:

If the old path is \\Server1\Movies\300 and the new path is \\Server2\Movies\300, then just do a find and replace in your text editor where find would be "\\Server1\" and the replace would be "\\Server2\". You'll need to do this for every path to every movie. Also, make sure you include the slashes in the find/rep[lace to help insure that it's only replacing text in the path field and not in the movie title or other info.

You can edit the db directly, but you would have to download some software and know the appropriate SQL command to run.

- RockDawg - 2010-05-02

charrua Wrote:You have to create the folder first:
Code:
mkdir Thumbnails
then give it full permissions:
Code:
chmod 777 Thumbnails
Then run the mount command:
Code:
mount -t cifs //[url=http://192.168.1.20/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails]192.168.1.20/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails[/url]  Thumbnails
If you need different credentials to access the remote path you need to specify the -o option at the end indicating username and password, like this:
Code:
mount -t cifs //[url=http://192.168.1.20/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails]192.168.1.20/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails[/url]  Thumbnails -o username=YOUR_USER,password=YOUR_PASSWORD
Remember that for more info you can always use:
Code:
man mount

I'm now trying to set up my second box and I'm doing the same process, but I get the following error:

Code:
root@XBMCLive:~# cd /home/kevin/.xbmc/userdata
root@XBMCLive:/home/kevin/.xbmc/userdata# mkdir Thumbnails
root@XBMCLive:/home/kevin/.xbmc/userdata# chmod 777 Thumbnails
root@XBMCLive:/home/kevin/.xbmc/userdata# mount -t cifs //192.168.1.20/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails  Thumbnails
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //192.168.1.20/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
       need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so

root@XBMCLive:/home/kevin/.xbmc/userdata# dmesg | tail
[   22.900228]  domain 0: span 0,2 level SIBLING
[   22.900233]   groups: 2 0
[   22.900242]   domain 1: span 0-3 level CPU
[   22.900247]    groups: 0,2 1,3
[   22.900257] CPU3 attaching sched-domain:
[   22.900261]  domain 0: span 1,3 level SIBLING
[   22.900267]   groups: 3 1
[   22.900275]   domain 1: span 0-3 level CPU
[   22.900280]    groups: 1,3 0,2
[ 3021.532993]  CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -22

I've done some googling and I can't find what code -22 means. I assume this must be something unique to this machine since the other machine mounted with the same server without issue.

- RockDawg - 2010-05-02

I've also tried:

Code:
root@XBMCLive:/home/kevin/.xbmc/userdata# mount -t cifs //192.168.1.20/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails  Thumbnails -o username=root,password=tesla2232
mount: //192.168.1.20/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails is not a valid block device

- RockDawg - 2010-05-02

It turns out that the first system I thought was working, isn't. When you first set up the mount it won't write the thumbnails to the mounted Thumbnails directory. Not thinking about, I rebooted and it seemed to then work fine. It turns out that's because the mount/link is broken after rebooting and XBMC is just writing all the thumbs to the local Thumbnail directory like it normally would.

So the reality is that I have yet to have a working central Thumbnail scenario. it's a shame, because without thumbnails, the usefulness of a central db is diminished.

- charrua - 2010-05-02

RockDawg Wrote:It turns out that the first system I thought was working, isn't. When you first set up the mount it won't write the thumbnails to the mounted Thumbnails directory. Not thinking about, I rebooted and it seemed to then work fine. It turns out that's because the mount/link is broken after rebooting and XBMC is just writing all the thumbs to the local Thumbnail directory like it normally would.
So the reality is that I have yet to have a working central Thumbnail scenario. it's a shame, because without thumbnails, the usefulness of a central db is diminished.
For me it's working on windows and on linux without a hitch, just follow carefully the instructions that I posted. Also remember that if you reboot linux you have to mount the folder again manually (or include the mount command in the/etc/init.d/rc.local file). Good luck.

- RockDawg - 2010-05-02

I didn't know the mount wouldn't stick after a reboot. That explains part of it. The not writing to the mount is still a baffle. Especially because I am able to make the mount work per your instructions. After I set it up, I can ftp into XBMC and copy a file into it's Thumbs directory and it shows up on the server's Thumbs folder. When I go into XBMC, movies have no thumbs (as expected). I then go into movie info and click on "get thumb", select the thumb and nothing still shows in XBMC. Same with a scan. Movies still have no thumb and nothing new shows in the Thumbs folder.

- charrua - 2010-05-02

RockDawg Wrote:I didn't know the mount wouldn't stick after a reboot. That explains part of it. The not writing to the mount is still a baffle. Especially because I am able to make the mount work per your instructions. After I set it up, I can ftp into XBMC and copy a file into it's Thumbs directory and it shows up on the server's Thumbs folder. When I go into XBMC, movies have no thumbs (as expected). I then go into movie info and click on "get thumb", select the thumb and nothing still shows in XBMC. Same with a scan. Movies still have no thumb and nothing new shows in the Thumbs folder.
I see. Try this:
Code:
mount -t cifs //[url=http://192.168.1.20/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails]192.168.1.20/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails[/url]  Thumbnails -o dir_mode=0777

- lestat1977uk - 2010-05-02

UPDATE

Got the music db working too, i just had to recreate a new user and assign all then SUPER, seems you can't do it using the root account, weird but there you have it!

Any tried using something like sql 2008 express instead of mysql? just thought it would be manageable.

- craigd - 2010-05-02

has anyone found a way to get recent items to show when using the central db, I'm doing all my scanning from one pc which shows recent items fine but all other systems using alasks skin have no entries for recently addd?