Kodi Community Forum
2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS (/showthread.php?tid=70603)

- bradvido88 - 2010-03-26

rtrimarchi Wrote:But instead of creating a symbolic link with mklink, isn't there an .xml file in XBMC where we can modify this local path with the remote one Huh

I believe this post has your solution:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=223293&postcount=18

- MrDVD - 2010-03-26

bradvido88 Wrote:I believe this post has your solution:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=223293&postcount=18

Im not sure that this will works as for me it looks that this change not only the thumbnail folder.

MrDVD Wrote:Im not sure that this will works as for me it looks that this change not only the thumbnail folder.

Your right, it moves all the userdata.

However, if you are doing a true client/server type setup, all you clients should have the same exact user data.

What problems do you anticipate that you wouldn't want to move all the userdata? AFAIK, the only realy problem before was that the SQLLite DB Locking, but MySQL has already solved that for us Big Grin

- charrua - 2010-03-26

bradvido88 Wrote:Your right, it moves all the userdata.

However, if you are doing a true client/server type setup, all you clients should have the same exact user data.

What problems do you anticipate that you wouldn't want to move all the userdata? AFAIK, the only realy problem before was that the SQLLite DB Locking, but MySQL has already solved that for us

Remember that SQLite dependence is not completely gone, for example you still have local databases for folder viewmodes.
What pros and cons do you see in this option against MrDVD suggestion of mapping just the thumbnails folder?

The main advantages I see is that you can make changes once and only once to update all you xbmc instances.

For example, if i want to change an advancedsettings.xml, I can make the change on my central userdata folder and all xbmc clients will use the new setting.

However, if you xbmc clients needs slightly different configurations, then this solution wont work.

- charrua - 2010-03-26

bradvido88 Wrote:The main advantages I see is that you can make changes once and only once to update all you xbmc instances.
For example, if i want to change an advancedsettings.xml, I can make the change on my central userdata folder and all xbmc clients will use the new setting.
However, if you xbmc clients needs slightly different configurations, then this solution wont work.
Yes, and even if you don't need different configurations you could have problems while trying to access simultaneously the folder view modes database located at userdata/database/ViewModes.db

Have you tried the central networked cache? I'm still trying to find out why in my case this setup is much slower than MrDVD's tests.

charrua Wrote:Yes, and even if you don't need different configurations you could have problems while trying to access simultaneously the folder view modes database located at userdata/database/ViewModes.db

Have you tried the central networked cache? I'm still trying to find out why in my case this setup is much slower than MrDVD's tests.

Good point. I'm still going to test it out. Hopefully I wont run into any lock-ups Smile

I haven't tried the network cache yet... Plan to tonight.
From my experience with network shares, a large number of tiny files has very poor performance. I'm guessing the GUI slow-down will be quite noticable.
This is an area where storing the actual images in MySQL would greatly improve seek-time over the network Big Grin

- charrua - 2010-03-26

bradvido88 Wrote:Good point. I'm still going to test it out. Hopefully I wont run into any lock-ups Smile
Testing is always a good thing... Smile Please do share your results

bradvido88 Wrote:I haven't tried the network cache yet... Plan to tonight.
From my experience with network shares, a large number of tiny files has very poor performance. I'm guessing the GUI slow-down will be quite noticable.
This is an area where storing the actual images in MySQL would greatly improve seek-time over the network Big Grin
Indeed Smile

- MrDVD - 2010-03-26

bradvido88 Wrote:Your right, it moves all the userdata.

What problems do you anticipate that you wouldn't want to move all the userdata? AFAIK, the only realy problem before was that the SQLLite DB Locking, but MySQL has already solved that for us Big Grin

Dont think this is a good idea Sad Whats when you dont have the same settings on all clients ? (gfx or something)

@charrua
whats your "normal" copy speed inside your network ?

- charrua - 2010-03-26

MrDVD Wrote:@charrua
whats your "normal" copy speed inside your network ?

Normally it's very fast, but I'm not really saying that when using the networked image cache XBMC performance becomes unbearable. I'm just saying that it's much slower compared to the same operations done when XBMC is using a local image cache (in my case it takes about thrice the time for the same actions (e.g. 10 secs. vs. 3 secs. to load a screen with the movie list)).

- MrDVD - 2010-03-26

"Very fast" mean how much MB/sec ?

MrDVD Wrote:"Very fast" mean how much MB/sec ?

Throughput isn't the problem here; the problem is file access time with the myriad of images it has to seek through.

Any wired (100, or 1000) network performs just fine for throughput. That's why we can watch 1080p movies over the network. However, seek time is a whole other issue that is what hits us in this case

- rtrimarchi - 2010-03-26

charrua Wrote:First I copied the thumbnails folder inside userdata to the server, then I shared that path from the server, renamed the thumbnails folder inside userdata folder in the client machine to thumbnails.old (to avoid its deletion) and finally made a NTFS directory symbolic link pointing to the shared folder in my server with the command:
Code:
[b]mklink /D[/b] thumbnails [i]//SERVER_ADDRESS/shared_thumbnails_folder[/i]

I have done EXACTLY what you said......

1 - copied on the server and shared it with EVERYONE with FULL CONTROL
2 - renamed the local one
3 - then opened a cmd window
4 - went to c:\Users\riccardo\Appdata\Roaming\XBMC\userdata
5 - typed: C:\Users\riccardo\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata>mklink /D Thumbnails \\192.168.0.12\Thumbnails\

I get an error message that says I don't have enough priviledges to do it Angry

Any idea Huh

- charrua - 2010-03-26

MrDVD Wrote:"Very fast" mean how much MB/sec ?
Around 65MB/s (it is limited more by the disk speed than the network speed). Anyway remember that the bandwith is not the most important factor here, the latency is... As stated before, latency (access time each file) becomes more relevant when accesing a bunch of small files (like the images in the cache) and that is what I think is causing XBMC actions to slowdown when using a networked cache rather than the local one.
Let's wait and see what are the results for the other people testing the networked cache option.

- charrua - 2010-03-26

rtrimarchi Wrote:I have done EXACTLY what you said......

1 - copied on the server and shared it with EVERYONE with FULL CONTROL
2 - renamed the local one
3 - then opened a cmd window
4 - went to c:\Users\riccardo\Appdata\Roaming\XBMC\userdata
5 - typed: C:\Users\riccardo\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata>mklink /D Thumbnails \\192.168.0.12\Thumbnails\

I get an error message that says I don't have enough priviledges to do it Angry

Any idea Huh
Yes, you need administrative privileges to create a folder (or a directory symbolic link in this case) inside the AppData folder.
Try opening a cmd window as administrator and run the command again.