Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] Mount GPT NTFS drive - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LIVE] Mount GPT NTFS drive (/showthread.php?tid=72602)

Pages: 1 2 3

[LIVE] Mount GPT NTFS drive - LTParis - 2010-04-22

So finally got all my parts in for a XBMC Live build and I have run into a snag. I wanted to mount a NTFS drive pulled from my Windows box (1.5 TB drive) but I ran into an issue with the mount when I ran sudo fdisk -l

GPT Partition Table Detected. Use GNU Parted.

I have not found much on this. Can I mount a NTFS GPT formatted drive in XBMC Live?

- fasteddy - 2010-04-22

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the kernel on the LiveCD includes GPT support. So, short answer - you can't mount that disk.

See here.

PITA answer - you'll need to recompile your kernel.

- LTParis - 2010-04-22

I take it there is no LiveCD installer out there that would have this. Ugh I don't want to have to install Windows 7 but it looks like I may have to.

- vikjon0 - 2010-04-22

I think it is supported. I guess an option is to do use gparted as he seem to want you to,

- LTParis - 2010-04-22

I am very unfamiliar with gparted. It seems to be a GUI partition manager but I just want to mount (no reformatting or anything).

- bobo1on1 - 2010-04-22

I don't see why you need to use fdisk to mount it, just check if the device node for the partition shows up in /dev and try to mount it somewhere.

- LTParis - 2010-04-22

I can see the /dev so it is detecting it (and detecting it with a GPT partition). Question is how to mount if not with fdisk. Sorry my experience with XBMC is quite limited.

- bobo1on1 - 2010-04-23

Just skip the fdisk step and use file -s to figure out which device node you need, or just take a guess, should be pretty easy if the drive only has one partition.

- LTParis - 2010-04-26

Unfortunately it does not see the partition as mountable. Other suggestions? For the interim I installed W7, but would love to see a XBMC Live solution.

- vikjon0 - 2010-04-26

Quote:Unfortunately it does not see the partition as mountable.
What doesnt?
What is the error message you got when you tried to mount? and of course tell us what mount command you used and how you found the name of the partition.

- davilla - 2010-04-26

Never use fdisk and friends with a GPT formatted disk, use parted or gparted. fdisk and friends don't understand GTP format and will mangle them if you force it.

- LTParis - 2010-04-26

Maybe someone can school me on gparted. I only saw the capability to format the drive in gparted. What about mounting?

- davilla - 2010-04-26

LTParis Wrote:Maybe someone can school me on gparted. I only saw the capability to format the drive in gparted. What about mounting?

Provided the kernel is built with GPT support, mounting is the same, you don't need to know it's GPT.

First you need to see if the kernel understands GPT.

ls -l /dev/sd*

Your disk should be there, (sdaX) is typically the boot disk, if not. the kernel was not built with GPT support.

- jawilljr - 2010-04-26

Post the output of:

Code:
sudo blkid

Jerry

- LTParis - 2010-04-27

This result is a bit different since I did do a W7 install, but right now I am booting on a XBMC Live USB stick:

ls - l /dev/sd* results"

Code:
brw-rw----- 1 root disk 8,   0 /dev/sda
brw-rw----- 1 root disk 8,   1 /dev/sda1
brw-rw----- 1 root disk 8,   2 /dev/sda2
brw-rw----- 1 root disk 8,   3 /dev/sda3
brw-rw----- 1 root disk 8,   5 /dev/sda5
brw-rw----- 1 root disk 8,   16 /dev/sdb
brw-rw----- 1 root disk 8,   17 /dev/sdb1
brw-rw----- 1 root disk 8,   18 /dev/sdb2
brw-rw----- 1 root disk 8,   32 /dev/sdc
brw-rw----- 1 root disk 8,   33 /dev/sda1