Kodi Community Forum
announcing: reFocus - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: reFocus (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+----- Thread: announcing: reFocus (/showthread.php?tid=74419)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

- Jeroen - 2010-05-30

I'm not really planning on any supplemental bigger font sets.

Personally I have no trouble reading the fonts. My couch is just a bit under 10 feet from the tv. Maybe it will be more difficult with a CRT, I can't test that.

Readability is also influenced by contrast and this is something I try to take into account as much as possible. The dialog windows for example are dark text on a light background and light text on a dark background for selected items.

If the fonts will prove to be too small for a lot of people I'd rather consider tweaking the default fonts a bit instead of having to deal with two font sets.

- nitio - 2010-05-30

Jeroen Wrote:Maybe, we'll see. The XBMC milestone is due in 3 hours so there's still hope Laugh

It seems like it has been pushed forward (I see it now is due in 18 hours).

Maybe we can be the lucky ones and have your skin before the next release Wink You know, user testing and all that stuff Smile

- ltmon - 2010-05-31

I'm certainly looking forward to this one as well, but take your time and get it how you want it Smile

R.E. Readability of fonts: I see you've gone for all lowercase, and this might be impacting readability. Especially in "sentence structure" text, such as movie and TV plot caps play an important part of helping readers identify the text structure. I'm finding these areas are the hardest to read from a distance despite being the same font size and contrast as many other elements.

Size-wise, however, I'm just fine with a 32" 720p television at 12.5 feet distance (as near as I can simulate before the skin release anyway).

Thanks for your hard work.

L.

- jarod71 - 2010-05-31

any chance of an xbox version of this skin?

- Jeroen - 2010-05-31

@ltmon: i've considered what you're saying about the lowercase fonts. Since the lowercase and uppercase are not hardcoded into the xml's it will be very easy for me to provide an alternate fontset which is not lowercase. I modified the fonts themselves to be lowercase, all I would need to do is just put in the unaltered font as well. Actually at the moment some of them are still hardcoded in the xml's but once I get to the code cleanup stage this will change.

@jarod71: I'm not going to release an xbox specific version. I can't test it on an xbox either since I don't use one anymore. However, I certainly encourage anyone who wants to make an xbox specific version/mod.

- harry3001 - 2010-06-01

Amazing looking skin - especially like that movie library screenshot - list view ftw!

- donabi - 2010-06-01

banner view +1

- Amra - 2010-06-03

I'm a little late to the party but I just wanted to say that this is a pleasant surprise and I look forward to trying it out.

- Jeroen - 2010-06-05

Allright, just a little update. Seeing as the new due date for the next xbmc milestone is set to 4 weeks from now, that's a bit too far away Wink I didn't expect it to be released at the previous estimated date, but I expected it to be less far away than 4 weeks.

I read elsewhere on the forum that official nightly builds will be turned on quite soon. So I will be targeting a release shortly after those start coming up again.

@Amra: thanks Smile

- ZIOLele - 2010-06-05

Jeroen Wrote:Allright, just a little update. Seeing as the new due date for the next xbmc milestone is set to 4 weeks from now, that's a bit too far away Wink I didn't expect it to be released at the previous estimated date, but I expected it to be less far away than 4 weeks.

I read elsewhere on the forum that official nightly builds will be turned on quite soon. So I will be targeting a release shortly after those start coming up again.

@Amra: thanks Smile

thats really good news.. any chances you may do even the xmls for the prv branch?
I really hope so... :-D

- Jeroen - 2010-06-05

ZIOLele Wrote:thats really good news.. any chances you may do even the xmls for the prv branch?
I really hope so... :-D

I'm afraid that will have to wait for a later version, sorry

I don't have a tuner card myself, so I am afraid I will not be able to skin it effectively. Unless there will be a way to have some sort of fake tv listing dummy file or something.
Also, I have not had much luck setting up an xbmc build environment lately. Maybe there's a kind soul around that could PM me a link to a recent WIN32 build of the pvr branch so I could look into it a bit already?

I do plan on fully supporting the pvr, I will just need to find an effective way of doing it. I could skin it "blind" and get a couple of testers on board, but I much prefer to see what I am doing Wink

- nickritus - 2010-06-06

The only pvr builds I know of are the ones margro (author of the media portal stuff for pvr) puts up on his website. I'm happy to test PVR stuff but it still seems quite a way off on windows.

- Jeroen - 2010-06-06

nickritus Wrote:The only pvr builds I know of are the ones margro (author of the media portal stuff for pvr) puts up on his website. I'm happy to test PVR stuff but it still seems quite a way off on windows.

Thanks man, that saves me from more trouble. I decided to try setting up a build environment yesterday and get the PVR to build and my harddrive died in the process No

I see I can at least skin the various dialogs for LiveTV. I'll look into setting up a backend later hoping that it will give me an empty EPG or something. It doesn't have to work, just need to be able to see something Wink

- D0nR0s4 - 2010-06-06

Jeroen Wrote:and my harddrive died in the process

I hope that was a hard drive dedicated to the build environment and not the one you use for skinning?

- Jeroen - 2010-06-06

D0nR0sa Wrote:I hope that was a hard drive dedicated to the build environment and not the one you use for skinning?

hehe yes Wink It was an oldie that I used as kind of a dumpster for temporary stuff. Luckily no really important stuff on it, but annoying nonetheless.

Even if something did happen to the harddrive I have reFocus on, it's backed up on an almost daily basis to my htpc, so damage would be very limited Smile