Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- Leander - 2010-11-19

jelleeelco Wrote:How can I find the latest Nvidia driver for Crystalbuntu (hardy)?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-260.19.21-driver.html

- jelleeelco - 2010-11-19

Thanks! Will update once I'm home...hopefully that fixes my issue!

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-11-19

jelleeelco Wrote:Can someone help me? I have updated to a later nvidia driver, but it's still not working 100%. I have tried to find the latest driver, but can't find it...

How can I find the latest Nvidia driver for Crystalbuntu (hardy)?

Many thanks
Jelle

PS I know, no sound over HDMI...

Why are you upgrading: what specifically is broken?

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-11-19

generikb Wrote:[quote=Sam.Nazarko]That sounds like it's in order then, which means it's mighty odd /dev/sda is not recognised. Here are some things you could try:

-- a parted LiveCD - obviously to set atvrecov you will need patched parted.
-- rebuild.sh the structure and go from there, you may have messed up the drive structure significantly (although really this shouldn't matter).
-- do it from a different Linux install (atv-bootloader might help out)

so when i do this part:

Code:
nano ./install_parted.sh
#Change ./configure --enable-static=yes to ./configure CFLAGS="-fgnu89-inline" --enable-static=yes
sudo ./install_parted.sh

I get this error:

Code:
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.
There seems to be no Makefile in this directory.
You must run ./configure before running `make'.
make: *** [all] Error 1
make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
Done
xbmc@atv:~/hfs_support/parted$

any thoughts?

edit note: the file originally just said "./configure --enable-static" without the "=yes", but I tried both ways and same error.

Sounds like there is no Makefile (ls | grep Makefile) to see. If there isn't a makefile, then your script hasn't run right. "/configure CFLAGS="-fgnu89-inline" --enable-static=yes
works fine here and generates the Makefile perfectly. You have the buildtool essentials right?: "sudo /usr/bin/apt-get install build-essential patch"

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Why are you upgrading: what specifically is broken?

My problem is the refreshrate change. In beta4 it worked after about 2 min of switching, were sound to amp is interupted. Back to beta2 now, and switches a bit faster but still takes about 30 sec; it just doesnt feel stable.

Will upgrade to RC1 later and thought it would not hurt to update nvidia to the latest as well.

Does it make a bit sense?

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Why are you upgrading: what specifically is broken?

My problem is the refreshrate change. In beta4 it worked after about 2 min of switching, were sound to amp is interupted. Back to beta2 now, and switches a bit faster but still takes about 30 sec; it just doesnt feel stable.

Will upgrade to RC1 later and thought it would not hurt to update nvidia to the latest as well.

Does it make a bit sense?

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-11-20

To be quite frank, no, it does not make sense. If it isn't broken do not fix it. If you go down the route of upgrading then you may as well upgrade to Maverick, update ALSA, and update NVIDIA. As far as I am concerned, the current Nvidia drivers provide no issues (unlike later versions), so I would not change this. You could get undesired results (which it sounds like you have).

P.S: Don't double post.

- Jimmer - 2010-11-20

Sam, this may be a stupid question, but: if I did a dist-upgrade in crystalbuntu, would it leave me with a kernel that won't boot.....

Just wondering if I could do a few cheeky dist-upgrade from 8.04 --> 8.10 --> 9.04 --> 9.10? I know it's possible on regular machines, but will yours (and pin's) mach kernel pass on to the dist-upgraded linux kernel? Or does the mach kernel need to be re-compiled for each dist-upgrade?

Jim

- generikb - 2010-11-20

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:[quote=generikb]

Sounds like there is no Makefile (ls | grep Makefile) to see. If there isn't a makefile, then your script hasn't run right. "/configure CFLAGS="-fgnu89-inline" --enable-static=yes
works fine here and generates the Makefile perfectly. You have the buildtool essentials right?: "sudo /usr/bin/apt-get install build-essential patch"

i did the ls | grep Makefile and nothing happens, it just goes back to the prompt.

when I do the sudo /usr/bin/apt-get install build-essential patch, it says

"sudo: usr/bin/apt-get: command not found.

But I did it just after firing up the ATV and SSHing in...do i need to go to a different folder or something? Where in the steps you gave before do I install this buildtool essentials?

Thanks again, I feel like I'm close to getting this to work!

- Jimmer - 2010-11-20

generikb Wrote:[quote=Sam.Nazarko]

i did the ls | grep Makefile and nothing happens, it just goes back to the prompt.

when I do the sudo /usr/bin/apt-get install build-essential patch, it says

"sudo: usr/bin/apt-get: command not found.

But I did it just after firing up the ATV and SSHing in...do i need to go to a different folder or something? Where in the steps you gave before do I install this buildtool essentials?

Thanks again, I feel like I'm close to getting this to work!

You've missed the / off the front of usr. You would need:

sudo /usr/bin/apt-get install build-essential patch

you ran:

sudo usr/bin/apt-get install build-essential patch

which looks for usr in the folder you are currently in. But usr resides at the root level, hence the error..... and the reason for the / before usr

but if your path is set right, you should be able to run:

sudo apt-get install build-essential patch

and get the desired result anyway. Hope this helps,

Jim

- jelleeelco - 2010-11-20

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:To be quite frank, no, it does not make sense. If it isn't broken do not fix it. If you go down the route of upgrading then you may as well upgrade to Maverick, update ALSA, and update NVIDIA. As far as I am concerned, the current Nvidia drivers provide no issues (unlike later versions), so I would not change this. You could get undesired results (which it sounds like you have).

P.S: Don't double post.

Sorry, can't remember double posting?

Anyway, the autorefreshrate change didn't work at all with the original Nvidia drivers. With the newer drivers it did work... yesterday I update to the latest version, and to RC1 as well, and the switching is MUCH more stable... So maybe in technical terms it doesn't make sense, from a user experience it's soooo much better! (granted, can be due to RC1 as well)

- generikb - 2010-11-20

Jimmer Wrote:[quote=generikb]

You've missed the / off the front of usr. You would need:

sudo /usr/bin/apt-get install build-essential patch

you ran:

sudo usr/bin/apt-get install build-essential patch

which looks for usr in the folder you are currently in. But usr resides at the root level, hence the error..... and the reason for the / before usr

but if your path is set right, you should be able to run:

sudo apt-get install build-essential patch

and get the desired result anyway. Hope this helps,

Jim

Thanks Jim, that's exactly what happened Smile

So I've done the entire process again exactly as laid out on page 145 of this thread. It appears that it runs correctly all the way up to this part:

Code:
xbmc@atv:~/hfs_support/parted$ sudo parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary HFS 40s 69671s
Error: /dev/sda: unrecognised disk label
xbmc@atv:~/hfs_support/parted$ sudo fdisk -l

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/sda doesn't contain a valid partition table

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sdb: 4100 MB, 4100980736 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 498 cylinders

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1               1         488     3915775+  ee  EFI GPT
Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(0, 0, 1) logical=(0, 0, 2)
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(1023, 254, 63) logical=(487, 125, 22)
xbmc@atv:~/hfs_support/parted$ ls | grep Makefile

I'm at wits end here! (not really, I'm enjoying the challenge lol) does anyone have any suggestions?

- rolandb5 - 2010-11-20

After having several issues with beta 4, I'm currently back at beta 2 and CHD r156 (Thanks to jelleeelco)
This combination gives very stable results in my opinion.

Before trying to upgrade to RC1 (with or without an upgrade to R174), how is the experience of the 'early adaptors'?

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-11-20

Jimmer Wrote:Sam, this may be a stupid question, but: if I did a dist-upgrade in crystalbuntu, would it leave me with a kernel that won't boot.....

Just wondering if I could do a few cheeky dist-upgrade from 8.04 --> 8.10 --> 9.04 --> 9.10? I know it's possible on regular machines, but will yours (and pin's) mach kernel pass on to the dist-upgraded linux kernel? Or does the mach kernel need to be re-compiled for each dist-upgrade?

Jim

If you want to go 8.0.4 > 8.10 > 9.04. > 9.10 sneaky is not the word Smile. You would indeed need to recompile the mach_kernel each time. This isn't actually difficult - you just replace the ramdisk and vmlinuz with the Ubuntu one. I wouldn't recommend this though. If you're interested on a newer version of Ubuntu - just kexec the netboot image off a patchstick and install to the system directly. It'll be a fresher and cleaner install.

generikb Wrote:[quote=Jimmer]

Thanks Jim, that's exactly what happened Smile

So I've done the entire process again exactly as laid out on page 145 of this thread. It appears that it runs correctly all the way up to this part:

Code:
xbmc@atv:~/hfs_support/parted$ sudo parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary HFS 40s 69671s
Error: /dev/sda: unrecognised disk label
xbmc@atv:~/hfs_support/parted$ sudo fdisk -l

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders

Disk /dev/sda doesn't contain a valid partition table

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sdb: 4100 MB, 4100980736 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 498 cylinders

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1               1         488     3915775+  ee  EFI GPT
Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(0, 0, 1) logical=(0, 0, 2)
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(1023, 254, 63) logical=(487, 125, 22)
xbmc@atv:~/hfs_support/parted$ ls | grep Makefile

I'm at wits end here! (not really, I'm enjoying the challenge lol) does anyone have any suggestions?

Ok your getting no result because makefile isn't there. This is because the parted configuring script wouldn't work because you didn't have the build tools, so no Makefile was created. Just repeat these steps and your there Smile

- xeonicxpression - 2010-11-20

What the best crystalhd driver version to use right now? I'm on XBMC RC1 and CHD 174 and it doesn't play stuff that used to play with Beta 2 and whatever version I was on back then.