Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- joncgde2 - 2010-12-19

defiler Wrote:I'll thrown this question out here because (a) somebody has to and (b) I'm rude. Sam, Pin? Any chance of being able to rattle off a finished, up-to-date USB image in time for people to use over Christmas?

If not, I'll sit on RC1 for a bit longer, but I'd appreciate a build that's cleaned up and stable (and plays VC1, which my installation doesn't).

Cheers!

Oh gee, I'll jump on the bandwagon too! Of course you guys are probably busy though, etc. so don't take this as a sign of rudeness, please - but merely evidence of anticipation! Big Grin

I note, Sam, that you made mention of an installer that would take care of transferring the image from USB to the internal HDD in your next update. Is that still something you intend to do?

Even a rough timeframe would be much appreciated! Please don't say it will be ready "when it's ready" ! Tongue

- xeonicxpression - 2010-12-19

See Sam's twitter account.
http://twitter.com/SamNazarko
He said that he will have a new distro available around christmas. Although, his most recent post says that he has been quite ill lately. So my guess is that it won't be ready before christmas. Not a big deal to me. I'm running fine for now. So I can wait.

- joncgde2 - 2010-12-20

Oh gee, ill - shame to hear. Hoe you get better, Sam - and that whatever you're suffering from isn't too serious!

I'm also running a perfectly functioning aTV - just being paranoid. Take your time, Sam. Smile

- kkillebrew - 2010-12-20

With XBMC Live just do:

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/xbmc-live stop
sudo nvidia-installer --update
reboot

simonp Wrote:Killerbrew,

Did you need to do anything special to upgrade your nvidia drivers? It it as simple as:

aptitude install nvidia-glx-260

--Chris

- defiler - 2010-12-20

xeonicxpression Wrote:See Sam's twitter account.
http://twitter.com/SamNazarko
He said that he will have a new distro available around christmas. Although, his most recent post says that he has been quite ill lately.

Oh dear - that's not so good. Take it easy until you're properly recovered, Sam, especially with stuff like this - your health is more important than me finally getting to watch Green Zone Smile

- Bagheera - 2010-12-20

I got to ask again Wink

is it possible to activate the USB - port with sams / pins image?
Also i would like install samba to share the media on the USB HDD connected to my appleTV. Is this possible?

- davilla - 2010-12-20

Bagheera Wrote:I got to ask again Wink

is it possible to activate the USB - port with sams / pins image?
Also i would like install samba to share the media on the USB HDD connected to my appleTV. Is this possible?

ams / pins image is linux based, there are no issues with the USB port, it just works. you will need to watch what disk format you use, hfsplus non-journaled should work.

- Bagheera - 2010-12-20

thanks Smile

The HDD is allready in HSF+ format ... so no problem there. But how about sharing the files stored on the USB hdd via samba?

I have an old xBox running XBMC in my Bedroom - would be great to have access Smile

- davilla - 2010-12-20

Bagheera Wrote:thanks Smile

The HDD is allready in HSF+ format ... so no problem there. But how about sharing the files stored on the USB hdd via samba?

I have an old xBox running XBMC in my Bedroom - would be great to have access Smile

It's linux so investigate running a samba server, "sudo apt-get install samba" or something like that.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-12-20

Good things come to those who wait. I've been quite ill recently, but I'm now working on the distros. I can actually put something out soon, now that Dharma has gone final.

- vengeance - 2010-12-20

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Good things come to those who wait. I've been quite ill recently, but I'm now working on the distros. I can actually put something out soon, now that Dharma has gone final.

Hooray! Thanks for all your work Sam. I've been sitting patiently watching/waiting for this for a while now, you're a star!

- simonp - 2010-12-20

kkillebrew Wrote:With XBMC Live just do:

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/xbmc-live stop
sudo nvidia-installer --update
reboot

Thanks very much!

--Chris

- lightshow12 - 2010-12-21

For the guy earlier who had trouble with a composite output on 1080p.

This is my xorg.conf that I had change to the following to get video to work on my TV (old school projection tv). I use component cables (red, white audio + blue, green, and red video)

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    RgbPath         "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load           "dbe"
    Load           "extmod"
    Load           "type1"
    Load           "freetype"
    Load           "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 110.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 150.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Option "RegistryDwords" "RMDisableRenderToSysmem=1"
    Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"
    Option "HWCursor" "false"
    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    Option         "UseDisplayDevice" "TV"
    Option         "TVOutFormat" "COMPONENT"
    Option         "TVStandard" "HD1080i"
    Option         "TVOverScan" "0.80
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "NoLogo" "True"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Modes    "1920x1080" "1280x720" "1024x768" "720x480" "800x600" "640x480"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

- evandena - 2010-12-21

Is this still the preferred way to update?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=571919&postcount=668

- joncgde2 - 2010-12-21

Read a couple of posts back, evandena - preferable to just wait for Dharma final.

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Good things come to those who wait. I've been quite ill recently, but I'm now working on the distros. I can actually put something out soon, now that Dharma has gone final.