Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- defiler - 2010-06-19

matbor Wrote:Does it play 1080p .m2ts bluray rips ok, just about to order my crystal and need to play my rips of bluray!?

Not quite. I have a handful of BluRay rips in .mkv, and there are two it doesn't work well with - Moon breaks into static and blocks every other second and is unwatchable, and Star Trek has shadowed blocks on the screen during some scenes.

Everything else is silky.

Bear in mind that this isn't a finished release, so I'm hoping that these problems will be solved soon. And it does play 1080p videos no problem, just not these two - worst case you can crack any problem files through HandBrake and change the encoding.

.m2ts - I don't know. Provided it can open the container it'll have exactly the same results as my .mkv files.

Edit: Update - it seems like the BluRay rip of "Disctrict 9" does exactly the same as Moon. Looks like HandBrake will be busy tonight...

- matbor - 2010-06-19

defiler Wrote:Not quite. I have a handful of BluRay rips in .mkv, and there are two it doesn't work well with - Moon breaks into static and blocks every other second and is unwatchable, and Star Trek has shadowed blocks on the screen during some scenes.

Everything else is silky.

Bear in mind that this isn't a finished release, so I'm hoping that these problems will be solved soon. And it does play 1080p videos no problem, just not these two - worst case you can crack any problem files through HandBrake and change the encoding.

.m2ts - I don't know. Provided it can open the container it'll have exactly the same results as my .mkv files.

Thx, for that.. hopefully it will end up playing the .m2ts files nicely.. fingers-crossed SmileSmile as I think the ATV + Crystal is a good platform Smile

Matt.

- pkolkkal - 2010-06-19

pkolkkal Wrote:Okay it seems like the refresh rate change actually works but it just takes some time before the change happens. Screen goes black for a good 30 seconds until it comes back with the correct 60Hz refresh. I have no idea what it causing this.

Wow it turned out that my hdmi cable was defective. These blackouts would happen more and more often (usually when changing resolutions), and finally video just went completely blank. First I thought I killed the Nvidia graphics in my ATV, but then started trying out different connectors and cables.

Never would have believed digital transmission cables die like this, so a lesson learned!

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-06-20

The m2ts is just the HD transport stream. To know whether it will work with CrystalHD we need to know about codec and picture info. Best way is to run your m2ts thru MediaInfo.

Supported:

VC1, H264 720p/1080p @ 24Hz, 25Hz, 50Hz.

Unsupported:

MPEG2 (temporary), 60Hz (bug), interlaced (temporary)

Very unlikely to be a problem. Only old BDs are MPEG2 they now use more efficient VC1 or H264 codecs at the studio's discretion.

Theoretically, these formats should work but others have said, your not always as lucky and it varies by disc.

- zerostar - 2010-06-20

Amazing job!!!! This is MUCH faster than the ATV/XBMC combo and plays way more files flawlessly. I had a corsair 4GB drive and it was good, I ordered a 8GB Patriot XT USB drive, installed the "slimmed img" onto it and WOW! It's soo much faster than the ATV setup.
If anyone is interested I got this drive here:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220252&cm_re=Patriot_8gb-_-20-220-252-_-Product

It is perfect since I have all my media on a NAS (and yes browsing the SMB share and adding sourced worked just fine!)

I do have a question or two.

One is can i ssh to my ATV drive and pull the movie info/thumbs/fan art off there or do I need to redo all of that?

I assume even with the NAS the thumbs/plot/fan art is all stored in the thumb? can I change that or can i expand the thumb to get the 8gb back? I think it's only seeing the 4gb....
Is 8GB enough room for all that or will I find out I am quickly full?

Edit:never mind on SSD this is IDE only Is there a guide to install it onto an internal drive?

look like 2 posts back for a guide Rolleyes

- zerostar - 2010-06-20

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:look like 2 posts back for a guide Rolleyes

Wow don't I feel silly Smile I read thru about 20+ pages but discussion moved on from setup to playing files... Sorry about that!

I gave it a quick read but seems a bit over my head... I have a new BLANK drive I want to restore the img to, expand the media portion out and make that boot the ATV alone,

If I want to go back to OS X/ATV OS I would swap the drive back out. I will try to restore to the drive then use some of the expand commands and change the drive identifier see how far I get *crosses fingers*

- Jaken - 2010-06-20

I have compiled and installed the pvr-testing branch on the minimal version. But when i reboot it still loads r28256. Any toughts?

Sounds like it wasn't installed properly then. Check the install directory, you may wish to remove old version with apt

- Jaken - 2010-06-20

I got both xbmc and xbmc-standalone. What is the difference? Should i compile xbmc in a certain way to get it to replace xbmc-standalone?

edit:
I compiled on an other computer (ubuntu 10.04 ). Can this cause problems?

edit2:

trying ./configure --prefix=/usr

lets see how that goes

edit3:
that seams to be working, all i got to figure out now is what packages that are missing. It whines about libmysqlclient16

- butlertotheb - 2010-06-20

I did a quick search and didn't find anything on my question.

Does anyone know if there is any performance enhancements if I were to use this Crystalbuntu on my apple tv without having any other extra hardware mods added on like the Crystal HD.

Thanks,Matt

- Jaken - 2010-06-20

you would get much "snappier" interface aside from that no

- butlertotheb - 2010-06-20

Jaken Wrote:you would get much "snappier" interface aside from that no

So on some video files that I have the audio cut off then back on in like 1/3 of a second... that would not be fixed?

- defiler - 2010-06-21

butlertotheb Wrote:So on some video files that I have the audio cut off then back on in like 1/3 of a second... that would not be fixed?

Well, you could always grab a 4GB flash drive and try it. This image will allow SBMC to use the accelleration functions in the Nvidia hardware in the ATV. It's only recently that Apple have opened up these APIs to developers. So it might be faster. For the sake of an hour or so with a flash drive, it's worth a shot. Id you don't like it, unplug the flash drive and you're back to normal.

Edit: Ignore me, and listen to Davilla below. He knows *far* more than me, so I'll defer to him immediately!

- davilla - 2010-06-21

defiler Wrote:Well, you could always grab a 4GB flash drive and try it. This image will allow SBMC to use the accelleration functions in the Nvidia hardware in the ATV. It's only recently that Apple have opened up these APIs to developers. So it might be faster. For the sake of an hour or so with a flash drive, it's worth a shot. Id you don't like it, unplug the flash drive and you're back to normal.

VDADecoder/VDPAU does not work with the AppleTV, a) VDADecoder requires 10.6.3, AppleTV runs a 10.4.7 variant. b) VDADecoder/VDPAU requires an nvidia 8x00/9x00 and above GPU, the AppleTV has an nvidia 7300.