Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- stronzo - 2010-06-26

wojo Wrote:maybe that You do dd from working image to HD... some people say that you should do dd from image file to hd... so you need another pendrive with image file.

of course it can't boot without pendrive, because inside com.apple.Boot.plist You have /dev/sdb2 so it's point to pendrive...
You have to change com.apple.Boot.plist to /dev/sda2, why You can't?

I suppose that you have read-only file system?
After boot from pen drvie You have to mount your /dev/sda2 partition with rw flag and You have to change com.apple.Boot.plist...

Code:
fsck.hfsplus -f /dev/sda2
mkdir /mountpoint
chmod 777 /mountpoint
mount -t hfsplus -o rw,force /dev/sda2 /mountpoint
cd /mountpoint
vi com.apple.Boot.plist

and change the line
In terminal I write step by step what you told, and finally instead "vi" i enter nano, but then which line may i change? screenshot: http://yfrog.com/f/3ucapturadepantalla201006mp/

- wojo - 2010-06-26

stronzo Wrote:In terminal I write step by step what you told, and finally instead "vi" i enter nano, but then which line may i change? screenshot: http://yfrog.com/f/3ucapturadepantalla201006mp/

Code:
<string>root=/dev/sdb3 ....
change to
Code:
<string>root=/dev/sda3

first disk is ata disk inside and it's sdA
second disk is USB sdB, third this would be sdC and etc.

sd - kind of controler
a,b,c - disks order
1,2,3,... - partition number

- Xfinity - 2010-06-26

Sorry if this has been asked before, tried the search function and didn't come up with anything.

I am thinking about buying a Compact Flash adapter to IDE to replace the harddrive in my ATV. Now I am unsure what size I need on my CF-card, how much will this Crystalbuntu-installation take in total? Can I save $'s in buying a 4 GB CF-card or do I need a 8 GB CF-card?

Thanks! Smile

- defiler - 2010-06-26

Xfinity Wrote:Can I save $'s in buying a 4 GB CF-card or do I need a 8 GB CF-card?

It's *supposed* to fit on a 4GB drive, but some people have found that not all 4GB drives are made equal. It should fit in 4, but that doesn't seem to be guaranteed. It *will* fit on an 8GB card, though.

- Xfinity - 2010-06-26

defiler Wrote:It's *supposed* to fit on a 4GB drive, but some people have found that not all 4GB drives are made equal. It should fit in 4, but that doesn't seem to be guaranteed. It *will* fit on an 8GB card, though.

Thanks for the reply Defiler, I will buy an 8GB just to be sure that everything will fit Smile.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-06-26

If you want a fast CF card you'll have to get a DMA one, as they are normally PIO. A DMA high performance CF card seems fairly pricey to be honest. PISlow will significantly degrade performance.

I've said it before: in Linux the first drive is /dev/sda, then the next /dev/sdb etc. If you put it on the internal drive you must change to /dev/sda. You must also do this if you remove the internal drive and use USB only, because there is only one drive, and the first one is always /dev/sda.

- Xfinity - 2010-06-26

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:If you want a fast CF card you'll have to get a DMA one, as they are normally PIO. A DMA high performance CF card seems fairly pricey to be honest. PISlow will significantly degrade performance.

I've said it before: in Linux the first drive is /dev/sda, then the next /dev/sdb etc. If you put it on the internal drive you must change to /dev/sda. You must also do this if you remove the internal drive and use USB only, because there is only one drive, and the first one is always /dev/sda.

I was looking at this CF-card. I think it will do the trick, to bad it cost premium...

- wojo - 2010-06-26

Xfinity Wrote:I was looking at this CF-card. I think it will do the trick, to bad it cost premium...

It would be cheaper to buy 8GB SSD disk
I bought in my country this one 8GB SSD ATA
Similar on ebay 8GB SSD ATA

- robertalison - 2010-06-27

thanks for this boot image, its fantastic

lose HIDs, HD access deadlock, stuck black screen? - bigpino - 2010-06-27

Hi guys,

First of all, this XBMCubuntu is incredible. Almost all HD content plays well. Thanks for that guys. FYI, "Journey to the Edge of the Universe [HD-Rip ITA ENG ~ 1080p].mkv" has some hiccups.

I got some major problems though:

1) I seem to lose my HIDs. This happens in atv-bootloader shell, GNOME session. Only for XBMC it sometimes keep on working (apple's remote mostly works). Anyone solved that issue?

2) Sometimes during playback the harddrive seems to get stuck in an 'access deadlock", i.e., the video freezes and the HD rattles endlessly. Sometimes it relaunches into the login screen. Why is this happening?

3) During start up it got stuck in a black screen. Immediately after i which the tv to another input, XBMC resumes loading successfully. Even if I switch back to the right input right away. Any comments?

Cheers

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-06-27

1. ssh in and run sudo reboot.
2. it's a bug, crystalHD driver is in early days, sometimes it crashes, sometimes it starts stuttering.
3. it's a bug, expected with SVN releases. it'll be squashed in final. Unless your talking about the transition from atv-bootloader screen to vmlinuz, in which case a black screen for a few seconds is expected, as X11 is started.

- tuckbodi - 2010-06-27

defiler Wrote:It's *supposed* to fit on a 4GB drive, but some people have found that not all 4GB drives are made equal. It should fit in 4, but that doesn't seem to be guaranteed. It *will* fit on an 8GB card, though.

And shouldn't we be taking into account the added size of the DDS images, skins and etc? I put a newer build on my stick and turned on DDS generation and immediately saw a bunch of 4mb and 8mb images being generated. Multiply this by your library size and space becomes a premium.

- akg4y - 2010-06-28

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:@basht - yes, boot up (can't see screen obviously), ssh in and run:
"sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf"

Edit it as recommended on atv-bootloader's page: atvdisplay which shows how to do component.

Then reboot with

sudo reboot

Stupid question, but what is the login/pw for the ssh?

EDIT: Nm, just saw in the original post that its xbmc/xbmc

- akg4y - 2010-06-28

Ok so I followed those instructions on how to enable component video but now when it reboots it says:

AppleTV login: starting-x
starting-x

and it just keeps repeating 'starting-x' over and over indefinitely... any ideas?

- bigpino - 2010-06-28

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:1. ssh in and run sudo reboot.
2. it's a bug, crystalHD driver is in early days, sometimes it crashes, sometimes it starts stuttering.
3. it's a bug, expected with SVN releases. it'll be squashed in final. Unless your talking about the transition from atv-bootloader screen to vmlinuz, in which case a black screen for a few seconds is expected, as X11 is started.

Nice response timeSmile.

Ok, I understand that loosing your HIDs is also a bug than, since rebooting is not really a solution. I'm looking forward for the next bug fixes. I just installed SVNinstaller for XBMC. Could someone point me to the right updates of XBMC and the crystalHD driver?

I'm aware of the screen buffer is issue of atv during boot, but that is not what I meant. I meant right after the semi login screen (salmon colored) and the XBMC splash logo. I already added:

Option "ModeValidation" "NoHorizSyncCheck, NoVertRefreshCheck"

to xorg.conf, but that didn't do the job.