Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- herod98 - 2010-08-02

herod98 Wrote:Hi Sam/Pin

Just wondering if either of your images have support for mounting HFS+ file systems?

bump - anyone?

- tooshna - 2010-08-02

tooshna Wrote:Thanks for your suggestions Sam. I was going to go with the 1st option as I have no idea about the use of telnet etc in the 2nd option. If only I could open the .img file and edit the contents... doesnt seem that mac osx will let me as it wont mount and I cant see the package contents. Even if i insert the usb with the disk image on it it asks me to initialize the usb and wipe it. Is there a command i can type in terminal to extract the contents of the img to a folder on the desktop and then recompress them back to img format again?

*Bump. Can anyone help?

- pin87a - 2010-08-02

Philmatic Wrote:No dice:

Code:
xbmc@AppleTV:~/31718$ sudo dpkg -i xbmc-bin_10.08~svn31718-hardy1_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 41126 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace xbmc-bin 1:10.08~svn31718-hardy1 (using xbmc-bin_10.08~svn31718-hardy1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xbmc-bin ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of xbmc-bin:
[b] xbmc-bin depends on libvdpau1; however:
  Package libvdpau1 is not installed.[/b]
dpkg: error processing xbmc-bin (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
xbmc-bin
xbmc@AppleTV:~/31718$

oops. I already had that installed so I didn't catch that error.
you will need to install libdvpau before xbmc.

Code:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu[/url] hardy main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list'
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb-src [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu[/url] hardy main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list'
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 64234534 CEC06767
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libvdpau1

- pin87a - 2010-08-02

MasterOe Wrote:could you tell me how?

I do not know how.. i'm not so familiar with linux...

What are you using to copy the image to your usb drive? Mac? Windows? Linux?

- pin87a - 2010-08-02

herod98 Wrote:bump - anyone?

I believe both images support mounting hfs formatted drives.
If it is a external drive (usb) xbmc should mount it automatically (does for me at least). I tested with both journaled and not journaled and they were both mounted successfully by xbmc.

- Philmatic - 2010-08-02

Well, my ATV seems to hate me, now that I was finally able to get everything up and running, I'm having an issue where I cannot secure the hard drive and have it boot up. It seems that the hard drive is being shorted out somehow.

I've been going at this for 8 hours now... everything works fine when the ATV case is open and the hard drive is detached from the internal 4 screws securing it to the bottom cage. The second those screws are tightened or the bottom of the case is otherwise secured, I start to get hard drive faults in linux (If it's running) or if it's off and then I turn it on, the hard drive is not detected and I get the ATV logo with the blinking question mark over it.

MEH! Can anyone recommend a fast 4GB or 8GB USB thumbdrive that I can use as a boot device so I can make the ATV useful? I guess I could look forward to the no moving parts and lower heat benefits, but MEH.

- tooshna - 2010-08-02

I have gotten a Telnet app on my iphone. im guessing i can use that to access the appletv and change the files? How exactly do i do that though when the atv doesnt actually boot up since it is searching for sdb instead of sda?

It might just be easier to edit the files within the img file and then load it onto my usb. But does anyone know how I could extract them on a mac?

- Philmatic - 2010-08-02

You can't open the IMG file and make changes, what I did was use two thumbdrives, one that has either Sam or pin87a's image restored to it and a second thumbdrive that has the atv patchstick or bootloader loaded onto it.

1. Insert the bootloader/patchstick first, power up your ATV
2. The second you see the AppleTV image with Tux, insert the second thumbdrive with Sam/Pin87a's image
3. After the patchstick/bootloader finishes loading, you'll be dropped to a shell, log in using root/root.

Then follow the directions here:
Code:
fsck.hfsplus -f /dev/sda2
mkdir /mountpoint
chmod 777 /mountpoint
mount -t hfsplus -o rw,force /dev/sda2 /mountpoint
cd /mountpoint
pico com.apple.Boot.plist

And change <string>root=/dev/sdb3 (pin87a's image) to <string>root=/dev/sda3, if it says <string>root=/dev/sdb2 (Sam's image) then change it to <string>root=/dev/sda2. Basically change "b" (USB or secondary drive) to "a" (Internal or only drive)

- tooshna - 2010-08-03

Thanks Philmatic! I will try this shortly. I just need to know how do I enter the commands? wireless keyboard? ssh?

EDIT: I dont know if this would work, but is it possible to connect the ATV via usb to my mac then mount the img file onto the ATV directly?

- vinnieb - 2010-08-03

Has anyone tried running a modified version of either image on a Mac Mini with Crystal HD?

- MasterOe - 2010-08-03

pin87a Wrote:What are you using to copy the image to your usb drive? Mac? Windows? Linux?

i use windows and i can use ubuntu live cd...

- Philmatic - 2010-08-03

tooshna Wrote:Thanks Philmatic! I will try this shortly. I just need to know how do I enter the commands? wireless keyboard? ssh?

EDIT: I dont know if this would work, but is it possible to connect the ATV via usb to my mac then mount the img file onto the ATV directly?

You'll be booting into a Linux environment on the ATV itself... Network access isn't reliable so I just hook up a keyboard to the USB port of the ATV. Since you will be plugging in a USB keyboard and TWO USB drives, you'll need a hub of some sort.

And to answer your second question... no.

- tooshna - 2010-08-04

I know I am so close to getting this now but there is something minor getting in the way. P.S I am using Pins image. Just a reminder my external hard drive is my primary drive.

So I log in using root/root, enter the code provided by Sam. I can then see the Boot.plist file but there is no root string so I enter <string>root=/dev/sda3</string> (see here: http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/7023/photokya.jpg). I press f3 to write the file, then enter to save. Unplug it all, and boot up the ATV with pins image on the usb and I still get this message http://yfrog.com/mfphotoxj.

Not sure what I am doing wrong. Please help me out, I'm so close! If there is a piece of code that will copy the image to the internal hard drive of the ATV so i dont have to use the usb that would be even better!
Should this be sda2? or something else?

fsck.hfsplus -f /dev/sda2
mkdir /mountpoint
chmod 777 /mountpoint
mount -t hfsplus -o rw,force /dev/sda2 /mountpoint
cd /mountpoint
pico com.apple.Boot.plist

- Philmatic - 2010-08-04

tooshna Wrote:Just a reminder my external hard drive is my primary drive.

What does that mean exactly? What do you have attached to your ATV? There should only be the internal drive, and the two usb thumbdrives I mentioned before.

tooshna Wrote:If there is a piece of code that will copy the image to the internal hard drive of the ATV so i dont have to use the usb that would be even better!

There is, it's called dd and we've already shown you how to use it. All you need is a atv-boot enabled thumb-drive, and a second thumb-drive with JUST the IMG file on it, NOT A RESTORED VERSION OF THE IMAGE. It should literally be pin87a's IMG file on the root of a thumb-drive.

Then you need to mount the thumb-drive with the IMG file and cd into the directory, the following should then work.

Code:
sudo dd if=atv-usbboot-xbmcbuntu-crystalhd-hdmi-28256-R3.rar of=/dev/sda
Then when you're done, change the com.apple.Boot.plist parameter to /dev/sda3 and reboot. You should be golden...

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-08-04

I think by primary drive he means it's his /dev/sda, in which case he must adjust his com.apple.boot.plist.