Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- Doood - 2010-08-23

Woot! R156 crystal fixed my launching problems! pin's image, updated to latest xbmc svn and this update has me playing videos again!

Thanks Davilla!

- JeeEmm - 2010-08-24

diegoap Wrote:Hi guys.... I'm currently using pin87a's release (28256-R3).

Wich updates do you think I should run ? Are you planning a new full release ?
I'm still having some problems when a video starts or ends... I need to change to another HDMI source and go back to the aTV to get video or the menu back.

Thanks in advance
diego

I was having this problem. I changed: Settings|Video|Playback|Adjust display refresh rate to match video: OFF and I don't need to switch sources when a video starts or ends anymore.

- diegoap - 2010-08-24

JeeEmm Wrote:I was having this problem. I changed: Settings|Video|Playback|Adjust display refresh rate to match video: OFF and I don't need to switch sources when a video starts or ends anymore.

hey.... thanks... solved Smile Smile Smile

- nc88keyz - 2010-08-24

i must be stupid because every signle time i try and update xbmc is works one time then when it reboots it just gets stuck at the desktop. since the res is in 1080P i cant even read the error on the ubuntu logon screen.

I cant even log in and yes i have a keyboard and a mouse that is functioning.

is the username not xbmc and the password not xbmc as well?

So close and destroyed every time.

I updated to xbmc svn, i updated the crystal hd drivers . reboots and never takes me back to xbmc.

I just dont know what I am doing wrong, and I have read this thread up and down 2-3 times.

I am using sams image. I cannot break this cycle.

I didnt have nearly this much issues with xbmx-live. Please assist.

All i want to do is update to something later than what is included based on dharma upcoming release. I really did not want to have to wait until the image is updated.

This should not be this hard to update xbmc.

Im starting to feel defeated

- vinnieb - 2010-08-24

OK so trying to make best use of the ATV's internal hard drive.

First added the UUID of /dev/sda4 to /etc/fstab (as hfsplus type) in Pin's image to have access to the ATV's internal drive after boot. This is already done in Sam's image.

I discovered that by default Ubuntu mounts my Apple TV volume as read-only because of dirty unmounts (= consequence of unplugging, I just don't like to leave the ATV on all the time).
To copy files over from my mac I first needed to repair the hfsplus volume, which is in my case /dev/sda4:

Code:
ssh [email protected]
sudo umount /dev/sda4
sudo fsck.hfsplus -r /dev/sda4
sudo mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda4 /media
sudo chown -r xbmc /media/Media
sudo chmod -r 774 /media/Media

Now copying files to the ATV volume works.
To copy all .mkv video files over from my Mac's download folder I prefer to use sftp, e.g.:

Code:
sftp [email protected]
lcd downloads
cd /media/Media/
put *.mkv

Hope this saves some fellow n00bs some time Wink

- vinnieb - 2010-08-24

davilla Wrote:now everyone gets to update their guides Smile crystalhd-for-osx tagged at r156 for crystalhd-for-osx-3.6.0.

This release gave a performance leap to my Mac Mini. The Godfather raw BR rip I mentioned earlier in this thread is now playing as good as perfect!

Nice job Davilla!

- Raider - 2010-08-24

i'm hoping there is going to be a final release of this when dharma is complete? sounds like this patching/update thing is hit or miss for some people...

- nc88keyz - 2010-08-24

im no expert but the instructions i followed for pins image worked great.

i just break it everytime i update on sams image. Pins image boots a lil faster in my opinion as well.

Still experimenting, but for now looks like its Pins image for me.

does anyone remember quick way to tell what version on crystalhd firmware and driver you are using from command line. ?

I didnt have so much luck searching at 3 in the morning last night.

thanks.

- nc88keyz - 2010-08-25

On Pin's image of xbmc live for ATV, how can I resize the usb stick to accomodate my 8GB microsd card. In system info / xbmc it shows like 1.4GB Free. I just copied my library and thumbs over and I am now out of room.

Can this be done from command console or am i gonna have to do it in ubuntu or something with gparted.

- 1oser - 2010-08-25

Hi,

First of all, thanks to all who have worked on this. Much appreciated.

Anyways, I'm having a problem using pin87a's image.

My setup:
40" 1080P TV connected to my Apple TV via HDMI. The TV can't handle DTS, but I don't have a DTS receiver, so I'm forced to downmix it to AC3/Stereo.
The Apple TV is a 40 G, with the BCM970015 CrystalHD in it.

Here's what I did:

1) Upgraded to a stock Apple TV OS 3.0.2 (factory restore is 2.0), and then went into Frontrow, and changed the resolution to 1080P (went fine).
2) Created a USB drive with pin87a's image (on page 1), using USBIT.
3) Inserted USB drive into the Apple TV and rebooted. XBMC was running (just the older version). I quit XBMC, which got me the ubuntu login screen on my TV.
4) SSH'd into the Apple TV, and manually ran deltazulu's script (from page 67 - I typed in the commands, since I understood what it was doing) to update to the latest XBMC (syn 33078).
5) Used Sam's method to update to the latest CrystalHD, except I changed the syn checkout to use r156. Compiled and installed fine. Rebooted the Apple TV.
6) SSH'd into the Apple TV, and saw that it saw the CrystalHD and had installed fine.
7) Uploaded the test_video.264 from the Google Code crystalhd-for-osx to the Apple TV, and I renamed it to test_video.mkv. The file is in ~xbmc directory.
8) Went into System - System - Audio output. Changed the Audio output to HDMI, Speaker Configuration to 2.0, Enabled Boost volume level on downmix, enabled Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver, and disabled DTS capable receiver (all other audio settings were left alone).
9) Went into System - Video - Playback. Disabled Adjust display refresh rate to match video (all other Playback settings were left alone).
8) Added the ~xbmc directory as a source for Videos.
9) Tried to play the test_video.mkv

At this point, I get a "Working" in the lower right corner, but other than that, I don't see anything. After about 10 mins or so, I see the video advance a few frames, but that's about it. Everything seems to have hung, and it advances a few more frames, but for the most part, doesn't play the test_video.

dmesg: http://pastebin.com/tPxRjFw9
xbmc.log: http://pastebin.com/Y9wtFUmG

Could someone point out if I missed something?

Thanks!

CrystalHD 2.01 + new SVN - jlemus - 2010-08-25

Does anyone know when we might get an ubuntu image that has the latest Crystal drivers (2.01) and one of the latest XBMCs from svn?

I know I can compile myself, but I'm just lazy :-)

- davilla - 2010-08-25

1oser Wrote:Hi,

First of all, thanks to all who have worked on this. Much appreciated.

Anyways, I'm having a problem using pin87a's image.

My setup:
40" 1080P TV connected to my Apple TV via HDMI. The TV can't handle DTS, but I don't have a DTS receiver, so I'm forced to downmix it to AC3/Stereo.
The Apple TV is a 40 G, with the BCM970015 CrystalHD in it.

Here's what I did:

1) Upgraded to a stock Apple TV OS 3.0.2 (factory restore is 2.0), and then went into Frontrow, and changed the resolution to 1080P (went fine).
3) Inserted USB drive into the Apple TV and rebooted. XBMC was running (just the older version). I quit XBMC, which got me the ubuntu login screen on my TV.
4) SSH'd into the Apple TV, and manually ran deltazulu's script (from page 67 - I typed in the commands, since I understood what it was doing) to update to the latest XBMC (syn 33078).
5) Used Sam's method to update to the latest CrystalHD, except I changed the syn checkout to use r156. Compiled and installed fine. Rebooted the Apple TV.
6) SSH'd into the Apple TV, and saw that it saw the CrystalHD and had installed fine.
7) Uploaded the test_video.264 from the Google Code crystalhd-for-osx to the Apple TV, and I renamed it to test_video.mkv. The file is in ~xbmc directory.
8) Went into System - System - Audio output. Changed the Audio output to HDMI, Speaker Configuration to 2.0, Enabled Boost volume level on downmix, enabled Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver, and disabled DTS capable receiver (all other audio settings were left alone).
9) Went into System - Video - Playback. Disabled Adjust display refresh rate to match video (all other Playback settings were left alone).
8) Added the ~xbmc directory as a source for Videos.
9) Tried to play the test_video.mkv

At this point, I get a "Working" in the lower right corner, but other than that, I don't see anything. After about 10 mins or so, I see the video advance a few frames, but that's about it. Everything seems to have hung, and it advances a few more frames, but for the most part, doesn't play the test_video.

dmesg: http://pastebin.com/tPxRjFw9
xbmc.log: http://pastebin.com/Y9wtFUmG

Could someone point out if I missed something?

Thanks!

I've said this many, many times, don't use test_video.264 for testing under XBMC. It's there for driver/lib development and only works with the example app. Please don't use it for testing under XBMC.

- jlemus - 2010-08-25

jlemus Wrote:Does anyone know when we might get an ubuntu image that has the latest Crystal drivers (2.01) and one of the latest XBMCs from svn?

I know I can compile myself, but I'm just lazy :-)

Actually, I meant the 3.6 drivers, or whatever the latest ones are...

! - JDizzy - 2010-08-25

1oser Wrote:Hi,

You mean all that needs to be done to update your USB stick to the current SVN is run the script from page 67 as you describe above?! I believe it even gives the option to update the CrystalHD to current also.

I am running osx at the moment so I can use the newer versions of skins but if I could easily update stick to Dharma would do it in a heartbeat.

- Raider - 2010-08-25

akg4y Wrote:Hey Sam, thanks for your help... the issue is it just keeps repeating 'starting-x' over and over without loading xbmc. I let it run for about 10 minutes and it put up 'starting-x' about a total of 100 times.
davilla Wrote:perhaps you should look at dmesg, /var/log/syslog or xorg's log rather than guess what is going on.

I finally took the plung and jumped into this atv-linux thing and i'm getting the same starting-x over and over myself...

i started off with a basic pin image, plugged it in, got to a certain point and the image would disappear... sshed onto the atv-linux and updated the xorg.conf file since i use component video and rebooted...

now the i can see what's happening as more stuff loads, but i get to the point where it says "Apple TV login: starting-x" and then i get starting-x over and over and over but nothing happens...

ietried updating to the newest svn/chd to see if that would fix the problem (using the scripts on page 67), but nope, still starting-x repeated...

dmesg: http://pastebin.com/YSEbfja7

xorg.conf

ideas?