Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- mauzzz - 2010-06-04

I'm writing the image to a Sandisk Cruzer 4 Gb under Ubuntu 10.

Code:
dd: writing '/dev/sdb': No space left on device

Does this mean the write failed because the usb stick is too small?

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-06-04

could do but the literal meaning is the drive cannot hold the image for some reason.

- davilla - 2010-06-04

find the number of bytes the drive can hold, compare to number of bytes in image.

- pkolkkal - 2010-06-05

I would recommend turning on Timed automatic login in the Ubuntu desktop settings, a few seconds delay will do. Now it's not a huge showstopper when XBMC crashes as it soon starts back up again

Wink

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-06-05

well said Scott, if drive capacity < image size, then buy a bigger disk
good point about timed login.

- KevinSartori - 2010-06-05

Hey, it looks like I'm in the same boat as some of the other users here with 4GB sticks that run a little too small.

Ativa 4GB USB Device (Cleared with bootsector.img):
4,036,492,800 Bytes

xbmc-r28256-crystalHD-1.0.3-alsa-1.019-nvidia100.14.19-hardy-cust_machkernel-2.6.24.27.img:
4,051,697,664 Bytes

15,204,864 Bytes! So close, yet so far. Maybe the next time you update the image, you could shave 20-25MB off and I bet it would fit on many more 4GB USB sticks...

Unfortunately, I don't have any other 4GB USB drives I can try and, besides that, I think if I was going to spend $15-20 to get another one, I'd rather put that money toward an Acer Revo instead! Smile

Life can be a real pain some times huh

in the future if i make a new disk image it will be minimal (60-100MB).

- lixer - 2010-06-05

I guess I'm in the same boat as others Smile arrrgghhh.....

dd if=/home/smb/xbmc-r28256-crystalHD-1.0.3-alsa-1.019-nvidia100.14.19-hardy-cust_machkernel-2.6.24.27.img of=/dev/sda bs=4096
dd: writing `/dev/sda': No space left on device
978945+0 records in
978944+0 records out
4009754624 bytes (4.0 GB) copied, 950.292 s, 4.2 MB/s

- KevinSartori - 2010-06-05

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Life can be a real pain some times huh

You're right! But I think maybe I came off all wrong! I certainly appreciate the effort you're putting in and didn't mean to sound ungrateful. I really just piped in because I didn't want you to think that the issue was just an isolated incident (or two). I'm really on the fence about getting an Acer Revo. I'm hoping that your "Crystalbuntu" image fixes the issues I've encountered with AppleTV w/CrystalHD, but I'm at the point where I feel like buying the CrystalHD card was kind of waste of money to begin with and that spending another $20 to confirm that would really bug me. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending money, I just hate wasting money!

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:in the future if i make a new disk image it will be minimal (60-100MB).

Fantastic! I look forward to it!

- xbmc old school - 2010-06-05

KevinSartori Wrote:You're right! But I think maybe I came off all wrong! I certainly appreciate the effort you're putting in and didn't mean to sound ungrateful. I really just piped in because I didn't want you to think that the issue was just an isolated incident (or two). I'm really on the fence about getting an Acer Revo. I'm hoping that your "Crystalbuntu" image fixes the issues I've encountered with AppleTV w/CrystalHD, but I'm at the point where I feel like buying the CrystalHD card was kind of waste of money to begin with and that spending another $20 to confirm that would really bug me. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending money, I just hate wasting money!

Fantastic! I look forward to it!

A Acer revo is way more expensive than a 8 Gb usb.

I've got an Acer Revo, pretty neat I must admit, but CrystalHD is getting better and better, a few months ago it was like stutterville, now it can go through a 720p/1080p. It's good now, before you used to get lockups, whereas now it's more of the video either playing or not, you know pretty much straight away if it's going to work.

- defiler - 2010-06-05

Guys, I'm impressed! This is miles better than XBMC on the ATV/OSX!
I've been meaning to get this done for ages, but the lack of a Mac or easily-accessible Linux box has held me up. Well, that and work, kids, and everything else that conspires to distract me...

My acid test is Star Trek - Blu-ray rip using MakeMKV, removing unwanted soundtracks. That's about it. 30GB file, at 4-5MB/sec. My old Hisense choked hard on it. ATV/OSX doesn't stand a chance. This *almost* just works.

So far its juddered twice in 40 minutes, and had a spell where shadowy blocks would appear over the image. Other than that, though, it's been bang-on!

Thanks for giving me a nice big short-cut, gents. Guess I'd better get to bed before I get into trouble!

- xeonicxpression - 2010-06-05

My HP 4GB drive that I use for a patchstick is way short. My sandisk has plenty though.

Edit: Restoring to my drive as I type. Can't wait to try this out.

Edit2: Something seems to be going wrong. I restored the image twice now. The second time I made sure that it was in device mode. I keep getting
Quote:segfault at 08888888 eip 080590f5 esp bf857710 error 6
or something close to that. My tv blurs white text so I can't read the letters real good.

- tuckbodi - 2010-06-05

scorneil Wrote:used DD in snow leopard on a 4gb cruzer. i think it worked properly.

when i boot up the ATV, I get:

sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
check root=bootarg cat /proc/modules ls /dev
ALERT! /dev/sdb2 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

help please and thank you!

mauzzz Wrote:The same here. Snow leopard, macbook, sandisk cruzer 4Gb, same alert when booting. Just checking: have other forum members succesfully created the USB stick on mac os x and booted it on ATV?

I'd like to echo this..anyone using a Mac getting this to work?

My question..

While using the dd command, it doesn't let me use /dev/sdb, I have to use /dev/disk1. Then when I boot off the flash drive I get the same message as scorneil. It might be a stupid question, but does Linux use sdb while Mac OS X unix use disk1 and can this be changed somewhere? I've tried 3 different flash drives, all with the same result.

- scorneil - 2010-06-05

tuckbodi Wrote:I'd like to echo this..anyone using a Mac getting this to work?

My question..

While using the dd command, it doesn't let me use /dev/sdb, I have to use /dev/disk1. Then when I boot off the flash drive I get the same message as scorneil. It might be a stupid question, but does Linux use sdb while Mac OS X unix use disk1 and can this be changed somewhere? I've tried 3 different flash drives, all with the same result.

I got it working using an 8GB stick.

the dd command should work via OSX, and yes you would use /dev/disk1

a couple caveats for OSX:
- unmount the partitions in disk utility or you will get a device is busy error
- in disk utility check the device information to make sure disk1 is correct (right click on the disk, then select information, check disk identifier)