Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- fl0w - 2010-10-22

davilla Wrote:"any way to get subtitles in correct position automatically", that's a xbmc general question. You will get a much better response by posting outside a thread specific topic.

done

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-10-22

Noticed a few posts back some comments about swap. I was fairly conservative because I believed people would predominantly be running off of flash drives and swap files (as can any high level of write activity) shorten lifespan significantly. As people seem to be using the image with the intent of imaging their own hard drive, I will be more liberal with this (maybe include a setting for people to adjust this) in future versions

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-10-22

Comments appreciated for future images: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=83800

- matbor - 2010-10-23

Hi all, I have been playing with Sam's image but keep running out of space on my 8gb stick, I assume I just need to re-partition it.

I am a linux newbie, so i assume the sdb2 is the memory stick and sda4 is the internal HDD ??

Also from my searching is this the best guide to re-partitioning the memory stick ?

Thx
Matt.

- jelleeelco - 2010-10-23

I have a very quick and hopefully simple question. I want to take out the HDD, due to the fact that I keep the atv on all day and it gets too hot.

This is the issue I have (running pins image): as soon as I take out the HDD, the atv does boot up but stops at "waiting for root file system". THen after a long time busybox comes up and gives the message "sdb3 not found".

It doesn't matter what HDD is attached (the original stock hdd, or an empty new one), as long as a HDD is attached the atv boots up just fine into xbmc.
I know I have to adjust com.apple.boot.plist (at least I think). I have 4 usb sticks, all working when HDD is attached and all not-working when HDD is not attached. My question: how can I change the stick so that it boots without HDD? (I saw another thread with the same question, but the solution of simply restoring the stick didn't work for me).

Many thanks in advance,
Jelle

- jelleeelco - 2010-10-24

OH shit.. while putting back the apple tv I must have damaged the IDE cable... nothing works. booting from USB is hanging on about message; without I just get the apple logo with a question mark...

so any quick answer that will help me out would be greatly appreciated!!

- davilla - 2010-10-24

jelleeelco Wrote:I have a very quick and hopefully simple question. I want to take out the HDD, due to the fact that I keep the atv on all day and it gets too hot.

This is the issue I have (running pins image): as soon as I take out the HDD, the atv does boot up but stops at "waiting for root file system". THen after a long time busybox comes up and gives the message "sdb3 not found".

It doesn't matter what HDD is attached (the original stock hdd, or an empty new one), as long as a HDD is attached the atv boots up just fine into xbmc.
I know I have to adjust com.apple.boot.plist (at least I think). I have 4 usb sticks, all working when HDD is attached and all not-working when HDD is not attached. My question: how can I change the stick so that it boots without HDD? (I saw another thread with the same question, but the solution of simply restoring the stick didn't work for me).

Many thanks in advance,
Jelle

If you remove the internal hard drive, then sdaX is now the USB device. That changes the expected order of the drives. You will need to fix up your USB device to be sdaX instead of sdbX.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-10-24

davilla's right. just nano/vi (your preference) your com.apple.boot.plist replacing all references to sdb to sda (find and replace), 10 second job.

Scott, Sam...

Many many thanks for your quick reply. You're basically telling me that my atv is not dead...
I'll try this tomorrow (it's half past two at night...) but please confirm my following action:

1 On a computer, boot up with Ubuntu live cd
2 attach the USB device
3 Open a shell and vi or nano the com.apple.boot.plist and change all references to sdbX to sdaX

If this is right.. then I know what to do...apart from: were is com.apple.boot.plist located on the usb drive??

thanks again, you guys saved me from getting hammered by my wife!

When you attach the USB to your live-cd, it will be /dev/sdb if it is the secondary device, substitute /dev/sdC for tertiary, D for quaternary etc. You should find com.apple.boot.plist on the root of /dev/sdX1, where X is your USB. You will want to run nano or vi with privileges (sudo)

Hope this helps

(and stay tuned for a new auto-updating image coming soon)

- mrhyde69 - 2010-10-24

still struggling w/ setting up my swap partition AND having linux now it's there and use it...

pkolkkal Wrote:You copypasted the old pastebin, but I'm sure you'll manage anyhow Smile

ok, i got that i think....swap is in place? but xbmc isn't seeing it
it's still not being seen by linux or xbmc:

free
fstab
blkid
parted
xbmc log

I blew everything out and started over. so, i haven't upgraded xbmc or the crystal driver yet....everything installed @ this point is whatever is in Pin's crystal image

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:When you attach the USB to your live-cd, it will be /dev/sdb if it is the secondary device, substitute /dev/sdC for tertiary, D for quaternary etc. You should find com.apple.boot.plist on the root of /dev/sdX1, where X is your USB. You will want to run nano or vi with privileges (sudo)

Hope this helps

(and stay tuned for a new auto-updating image coming soon)

Hi Sam,
I did just that. I booted Ubuntu Live CD from my home computer. To be secure, I disconnected my internal hdd so that the only thing booting up would be the CD. Then I connected the USB and blkid showed that there is only one drive (which I thought was strange, didn't see the CD drive) and that was sda. There were 4 partitions, sda1-sda4. I tried entering sudo fsck.hplus etc (command somewere here to update the boot.plist) but the command wasn't known. It gave me the message that /dev/sda2 was already mounted on /media/Recovery.

Ok, a step closer already. So I entered the following:

sudo nano /media/Recovery/com.apple.Boot.plist

I get into the file, I see the entry /dev/sdb3 and I need to change that to /dev/sda3.

When I try to save, it tells me the file is protected. So I'm stuck again! I did try to first do sudo -s to get into the root, but that didn't work.

Any suggestions? I'm nearly there!Big Grin

- davilla - 2010-10-24

jelleeelco Wrote:Hi Sam,
I did just that. I booted Ubuntu Live CD from my home computer. To be secure, I disconnected my internal hdd so that the only thing booting up would be the CD. Then I connected the USB and blkid showed that there is only one drive (which I thought was strange, didn't see the CD drive) and that was sda. There were 4 partitions, sda1-sda4. I tried entering sudo fsck.hplus etc (command somewere here to update the boot.plist) but the command wasn't known. It gave me the message that /dev/sda2 was already mounted on /media/Recovery.

Ok, a step closer already. So I entered the following:

sudo nano /media/Recovery/com.apple.Boot.plist

I get into the file, I see the entry /dev/sdb3 and I need to change that to /dev/sda3.

When I try to save, it tells me the file is protected. So I'm stuck again! I did try to first do sudo -s to get into the root, but that didn't work.

Any suggestions? I'm nearly there!Big Grin

Let's try to keep this to one thread please. You might post the error message.

did you run nano/vi with sudo like I said?

Yep... I do the following;

booting up with the linux cd
putting in the usb stick (sometimes it mounts automatically, sometimes it doesn't).
then...

(in case it's not mounted)
sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
sudo vi /mnt/com.apple.boot.plist
I do see the file, can change but not save...error 212

you were talking about the sda1 location. If I look at Gparted, I see 4 partitions on the usb drive: EFI (boot), Recovery, EXT3 and Swap. I hope I do it correct and change the file on the Recovery partition? If I use the EFI, and use the commando's above, I get a new file....

But shall I follow Scott's instructions and open a new thread?