Kodi Community Forum
v12 reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: reFocus (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+----- Thread: v12 reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) (/showthread.php?tid=75867)

- Kolabor - 2011-02-22

@nasuh: Just checked Turkish alphabet and almost all characters should display correctly in reFocus v0.9 which will be released soon. Those characters are:
Quote:çÇğĞıIiİöÖşŞüÜ
The only problem I see are those letters:
Quote:ıIiİ
which are dotted and dotless I. You will test this soon in a new version. Feel free to report how it looks in Turkish. If there will be a bug, we will try to do something with it. All other letters from Turkish alphabet will look good in new version Smile

@rd1979: Haven't speak with Jeroen about different fontsets yet, but I think it could be done and maybe after 0.9? He or we will see Wink If adding Japanese as alternate fontset will be easy then why not? And one more thing? Are You from Japan or just need Japanese letters in XBMC? If You are from Japan then maybe You could translate reFocus?

Refocus on ATV2 - galvanash - 2011-02-23

Great skin! I use it on my ATV2 and it works very well. A few pointers for those wanting to run this skin on ATV2 with best results:

Optimize Thumbnail and Fanart Size

Change your advancedsettings.xml to look like this:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <thumbsize>256</thumbsize>    
    <fanartheight>360</fanartheight>
</advancedsettings>

This does result in some pixelation when displaying fanart at full screen resolution (I have a 720p plasma so this is hardly noticable to me, but those with LCDs will likely notice it more). Unfortunately the ATV2 struggles with high resolution fanart so this is a compromise - the resulting speedup is quite dramatic though, it goes from being barely usable to quite snappy. You will unfortunately either have to rescan everything to get your thumb/fanart cache in the new resolution, or manually resize your existing images unless you are starting from scratch.

The good news is that in ReFocus the only place where fanart is displayed full screen without the blue overlay is on the home screen slideshow (it is somewhat pixelated here due to it being blown up to 720p - like I said it is a compromise). Everywhere else it is either quarter resolution (640x360) or it is obscured with the blue alpha-transparent overlay which completely obscures the fact that the fanart is low res and it looks very nice in all the media views.

A thumsize of 256 is pratically optimum for all but the video info dialog where it is scaled to nearly full screen height. Other than that one view, it looks great virtually everywhere. I can't honestly recommend anything higher on an ATV2 though, it bogs it down considerably.

These changes alone will result in the media views going from practically unusable to quite responsive. It is still a bit slow compared to a full blown HTPC of course, but it is definitely usable.

Optimize Skin Background Images

This is optional, but I chose to resize all of the images in the skins backgrounds and backgrounds/library folders that where either 1280x720 or 1920x1080 to 640x360 manually using an image editor. The main effect this has is that it speeds up the tween effects between different views since it reduces the number of bytes the renderer has to chew through. Also, the few places where the skin specifies backgrounds (like settings and such) get a significant speedup from resizing the built in fanart images.

Alternately, you can just turn off global fanart and only resize the background.png and background2.png files (since those are the ones that mainly matter).

This has a very minor effect on image quality. The overlays are just smooth gradients anyway, scaling them down and then back up doesn't affect image quality much at all.

I did not bother with the welcome background images (the ones in the morning, afternoon, and evening folders). For some reason these do not display on an ATV2 at all so I never bothered to optimize them (cant figure out why...). The welcome _image_ displays, but not the background. Minor irritation I can live with for now - it is probably some esoteric issue with the rendering on the ATV2 and will probably get fixed eventually.

Fix the Virtual Keyboard

There is one major issue with the virtual keyboard in ReFocus when used on an ATV2. There is no way to navigate to the backspace button (which is to the right of the text entry field). This may not matter much on other platforms, but it is definitely a problem with the ATV2 when using the Apple Remote. To fix it youll have to modify DialogKeyboard.xml and make the following changes:

1. Find the text <control type="button" id="8">. Within that tag, change the value for <ondown> to 57.
2. Find the text <control type="button" id="57">. Within that tag, change the value for <onup> to 8.

This will make it so that pushing "up" while on the button for the 9 key will move you to the backspace key and visa-versa. With this one change the keyboard is quite usable.

Anyway, that is all I can think of at the moment. This skin works very well on the ATV2 if setup this way. All the other types of tweaks you may want to do can be done in the settings/skins menu, which has quite a few knobs to turn. I can't say I have used the skin extensively so there might be issues I have not seen yet, but the basics are solid.

- Jeroen - 2011-02-23

galvanash Wrote:...
I did not bother with the welcome background images (the ones in the morning, afternoon, and evening folders). For some reason these do not display on an ATV2 at all so I never bothered to optimize them
I've seen people mentioning running into this with the ATV1 too. I guess it's a GPU thing as quite a lot of images are loaded at once during startup.

Doesn't really matter anymore as they will be gone in the next release anyway.

Quote:There is one major issue with the virtual keyboard in ReFocus when used on an ATV2. There is no way to navigate to the backspace button
I thought the last release took care of the keyboard navigation issues but apparently not, will have another look at this. Thanks.

Quote:Anyway, that is all I can think of at the moment. This skin works very well on the ATV2 if setup this way. All the other types of tweaks you may want to do can be done in the settings/skins menu, which has quite a few knobs to turn. I can't say I have used the skin extensively so there might be issues I have not seen yet, but the basics are solid.

Thanks for your helpful tips, I don't have an Apple TV but I'm sure those tips are very helpful to ATV users Smile

Since we're talking about speed here. Since I have been working on PVR support I have been testing the new release on a Dharma build patched with PVR support. I found that the smoothness was lacking, so I have been making some changes to the way thumbnails are handled and loaded, tweaking animations, optimizing textures, etc.

I have been testing the new reFocus release on the Eden nightlies for the last couple of days and boy, it's really flying! Now, I don't know if it's the optimizations or Eden that makes it so snappy, but I'd like to think it's a little bit of both Wink So, I'm hoping that will improve the speed on the ATV2 eventually as well.

About the new release, I understand I'm probably putting people's patience to the test, but be assured it's coming. I'm not sure if this week is still realistic, but I'm putting in a lot of effort in this one. I really want it to be worthy of being a milestone release, so I'm taking the time to do some of the more fundamental changes and optimizations. So ultimately, my slowness is your gain Rolleyes

- Jeroen - 2011-02-23

Kolabor Wrote:@rd1979: Haven't speak with Jeroen about different fontsets yet, but I think it could be done and maybe after 0.9? He or we will see Wink If adding Japanese as alternate fontset will be easy then why not? And one more thing? Are You from Japan or just need Japanese letters in XBMC? If You are from Japan then maybe You could translate reFocus?

Actually I was under the impression that the alternate (unicode) fontset should take care of Japanese language too?

- nasuh - 2011-02-23

Thanks,
i'm waiting for 0.9 relaese, when will it finish?

Kolabor Wrote:@nasuh: Just checked Turkish alphabet and almost all characters should display correctly in reFocus v0.9 which will be released soon. Those characters are:
The only problem I see are those letters:which are dotted and dotless I. You will test this soon in a new version. Feel free to report how it looks in Turkish. If there will be a bug, we will try to do something with it. All other letters from Turkish alphabet will look good in new version Smile

@rd1979: Haven't speak with Jeroen about different fontsets yet, but I think it could be done and maybe after 0.9? He or we will see Wink If adding Japanese as alternate fontset will be easy then why not? And one more thing? Are You from Japan or just need Japanese letters in XBMC? If You are from Japan then maybe You could translate reFocus?

- rd1979 - 2011-02-24

Jeroen Wrote:Actually I was under the impression that the alternate (unicode) fontset should take care of Japanese language too?

As I said, I have an alternate (and much larger) arial.ttf that I used with the Confluence skin that allowed Japanese characters to display properly. This is the extent of my knowledge on how these things work. Kolabor was asking for suggestions other languages that needed adding, so I made the suggestion.

And to answer his question, no, I don't speak Japanese very well (I am in the early stages of learning) so I cannot actually help, as much as I'd love to, and would if I could. I just have a number of files that just show up as squares where the Hiragana/Kanji should be, and its very annoying seeing them that way.

In any case, thanks again for a great skin, and thanks to Kolabor for adding these additional languages, even if its not one of the ones I wanted, the more, the better.

- Jeroen - 2011-02-24

rd1979 Wrote:As I said, I have an alternate (and much larger) arial.ttf that I used with the Confluence skin that allowed Japanese characters to display properly. This is the extent of my knowledge on how these things work. Kolabor was asking for suggestions other languages that needed adding, so I made the suggestion.

I think we're talking about two related but different things Smile Of course it's fine to suggest it. Since reFocus comes with an alternate Arial based unicode fontset that should support Japanese I was just checking to see if there are problems with that fontset. If the included alternate fontset is not displaying Japanese properly that would need looking into.
So in other words, is there a difference between the included unicode fontset and the one you have?

- Kolabor - 2011-02-24

nasuh Wrote:Thanks,
i'm waiting for 0.9 relaese, when will it finish?
When it's ready Smile This is a big release with a lot of changes.
I'll send You fixed fonts, so You could check them ok?

- rd1979 - 2011-02-24

Jeroen Wrote:I think we're talking about two related but different things Smile Of course it's fine to suggest it. Since reFocus comes with an alternate Arial based unicode fontset that should support Japanese I was just checking to see if there are problems with that fontset. If the included alternate fontset is not displaying Japanese properly that would need looking into.
So in other words, is there a difference between the included unicode fontset and the one you have?

Uh......its a bigger file? Huh
As I said, I really don't know how this all works.

- BigDaddyRal - 2011-02-24

Jeroen Wrote:About the new release, I understand I'm probably putting people's patience to the test, but be assured it's coming. I'm not sure if this week is still realistic, but I'm putting in a lot of effort in this one. I really want it to be worthy of being a milestone release, so I'm taking the time to do some of the more fundamental changes and optimizations. So ultimately, my slowness is your gain Rolleyes

I am the most impatient person with a sick need for instant gratification, so it's hard for me to say this, but, take your time. I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Welcome Backgrounds on ATV2 - galvanash - 2011-02-26

Jeroen Wrote:I've seen people mentioning running into this with the ATV1 too. I guess it's a GPU thing as quite a lot of images are loaded at once during startup.

Doesn't really matter anymore as they will be gone in the next release anyway.

Just fyi, I figured out what the problem is. It is because paths are case-sensitive on ATV2 (probably affects all Unix-based xbmc deployments). I renamed the Backgrounds, Morning, Evening, and Afternoon folders so that they were all lowercase and made sure the paths in the skin's xml were lowercase as well and they started loading fine. That appeared to be the only place where this particular issue was popping up, but you might want to double-check your path case on your new version if you are testing on Windows (since on Windows you will never see the errors).

- Dr Gonzo - 2011-02-26

I have to say, I absolutely adore this skin, it's light, beautiful to look at and doesn't overwhelm with too much information. Definitely my favourite skin.

- Jeroen - 2011-02-27

galvanash Wrote:Just fyi, I figured out what the problem is.
Oh I see, thanks for getting back on that. I'll keep that in mind Smile

Dr Gonzo Wrote:I have to say, I absolutely adore this skin, it's light, beautiful to look at and doesn't overwhelm with too much information. Definitely my favourite skin.
Thanks, glad you're enjoying it Smile

- Jeroen - 2011-02-27

So I was wondering about people's thoughts about this, as I can't seem to make up my mind about it.

For the next release I have made changes to the movie info screen so that the most commonly used/non-maintenance buttons are displayed in the main area. With some of the longer movie plots it tends to look a bit cramped though.

So I was exploring another idea today, which does away with the movie poster, and instead shows (depending on a user setting):

a. the fanart with all the button controls beneath it
b. the movie trailer with all the button controls beneath it (trailer starts automatically)

It gives more "breathing room" for the plot information, but there's no place for a big movie poster anymore, and the studio logo would have to go. Which shouldn't be too much of a loss as the studio name is also listed in the information labels.

Especially getting rid of the poster bothers me a bit. Making two optional layouts is something I wouldn't want to do though.

So anyway, interested to hear thoughts about this.

Cheers,
Jeroen

- BigDaddyRal - 2011-02-27

I like the text formatting, but prefer to see the poster. Heres a quick and dirty alternative I mocked up:

This way you get the most used items, and if you hit left for the maintenance items you can see refresh, choose poster, choose fanart.

Or if you want to put poster, fanart, and refresh on the info page, maybe remove play movie and use a poster overlay like Alaska does. However instead of a Play icon in the center, you could do a corner overlay or top or bottom overlay. Food for thought.

Also, any chance you might provide this alternative Half Wall view?

I have a large collection and want to use this view, but love seeing the fanart.