Kodi Community Forum
[UPDATED] Aeon65 v10.5 (Dharma) compatible - Help/Support/Bugs/Feature Request - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon MQ (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: [UPDATED] Aeon65 v10.5 (Dharma) compatible - Help/Support/Bugs/Feature Request (/showthread.php?tid=76839)

- phil65 - 2010-09-30

ubuntuf4n Wrote:Would it be possible to integrate a Random-Movie-Feature, which displays a random movie (featured) on the home-screen.
Could be a nice (optional) enhancement for this skin.

Example: Fusion Skin
Hitcher's Random Script: Link

Regards,
Ubuntuf4n

random items will come

- joeranjensen - 2010-09-30

Can someone please help me download this skin? Iwe done as described in the first post, but in the git bash i get the message "no such file or direcory". The only difference from the guide is that i have Git version 1.7.2.3-preview20100911.

- sergiocos - 2010-09-30

Aeon65 v1 (current version, soon to be replaced by v2)
Aeon65 v2 (work in progress)

In each case, press Download Source and a zipped file will be downloaded.

- AoOs - 2010-09-30

Hey Phil65,

I'm a long time supporter of the Aeon65 project and I've gotta start out by saying: very very good job.
Thank you to all of you guys for an excellent skin, which is stable and features a lovely design.

I have some suggestions for improvement:

When I fast scroll my movies (in showcase mode) my computer can't load the thumbs fast enough for them to be different on every case. Which means that my speedy way from B to O (e.g.) is a bit of an eyesore.
I have a suggestion for how this could be done in a more clever way, since I can only presume that my HTPC isn't the only one who produces this result.

I would like to see an option labeled: Fade out when fast scrolling (or something similar). When enabled the whole row of movies fades out and the only thing left down there is the capital letter in the black box telling me how far I've scrolled. When I let go of my keys and the scrolling is coming to a halt; the movies/thumbs fades back in.

How about it?

Cheers.

- sergiocos - 2010-09-30

@AoOs: dunno if you already tried this, but caching images as .dds made my xbmc faster and the images (fanart/thumbs etc) are showed in real time (when scrolling). I can see ALL of the fanarts when scrolling, because images aren't decoded by the CPU as before, but by the GPU. Don't know your hardware config, but this might help you get rid of that 'eyesore'. Cheers!

- chippie - 2010-09-30

sergiocos Wrote:@AoOs: dunno if you already tried this, but caching images as .dds made my xbmc faster and the images (fanart/thumbs etc) are showed in real time (when scrolling). I can see ALL of the fanarts when scrolling, because images aren't decoded by the CPU as before, but by the GPU. Don't know your hardware config, but this might help you get rid of that 'eyesore'. Cheers!

Start from the end of the thread as you do not need to convert the images yourself, XBMC will do it for you, you just need to add a tag to advancedsettings.xml

What I did find is that it depends on the size of the library. If I go to smart playlis that has 100 movies or so it refreshes the posters no problem, if I go to one that has over 1000 then it does not. Also another factor may be that when using a remote the scrolling can be slower and so refreshes the posters ok, with a keyboard, it just cannot keep up.

Regarding fanart, there was a patch put in that I requested a while back to change the way XBMC handled the cached fanart, it was moved to the app thread, this really made a dramatic difference for fanart. As far as I was aware it only went in to the Dharma Branch though so the improvement in fanart loading may be due to this also.

Will have to try the .dds thing again soon to see if it makes a difference for me with the later builds but do not really want to loose the quality of my posters....

- mark007 - 2010-09-30

Although dds only slightly reduces image quality, I still want to have my images in as close to their original form as possible. The way I see it, xbmc / the skins don't cache as well as they can. Ie I have 6gb of ram and 1gb of graphics memory.

When I scroll through 300 or so movies, I can see the textures for each poster fading / loading into view. Why can't they be cached on startup, or at least those posters for say 20 posters to the left or right of the currently selected movie be cached into memory just incase they will be used..

I only see a tiny fraction of my memory being used by xbmc... to me it would be like a 3d game only loading textures as I came right upto a certain area and visually fading into view on objects. No they are eithered loaded in bulk as the level is loaded, or loaded into memory when I come reasonably close to the object.

Its probably upto xbmc developers to improve this I guess... Just so much cpu / memory resources arn't being used currently on my machine at least. I don't want to leave them sitting there idle and have these texture loads become visible as is descibed above.... Smile Definitely alot of room for improvement and I don't think using dds files etc is the long term solution for the benefit of everyone Smile

- phil65 - 2010-09-30

mark007 Wrote:Although dds only slightly reduces image quality, I still want to have my images in as close to their original form as possible. The way I see it, xbmc / the skins don't cache as well as they can. Ie I have 6gb of ram and 1gb of graphics memory.

When I scroll through 300 or so movies, I can see the textures for each poster fading / loading into view. Why can't they be cached on startup, or at least those posters for say 20 posters to the left or right of the currently selected movie be cached into memory just incase they will be used..

I only see a tiny fraction of my memory being used by xbmc... to me it would be like a 3d game only loading textures as I came right upto a certain area and visually fading into view on objects. No they are eithered loaded in bulk as the level is loaded, or loaded into memory when I come reasonably close to the object.

Its probably upto xbmc developers to improve this I guess... Just so much cpu / memory resources arn't being used currently on my machine at least. I don't want to leave them sitting there idle and have these texture loads become visible as is descibed above.... Smile Definitely alot of room for improvement and I don't think using dds files etc is the long term solution for the benefit of everyone Smile

a SSD would be very useful in this case.

- mark007 - 2010-09-30

Yeah that would be sweet, but why not use the closest we all have to an ssd, ram / gpu memory as the cache Smile I'm tempted to create a trac ticket to request this but I can see it being rejected. What do you think? Of course a bit of thought would have to go into the amount of memory it could allocate for caching the images.

- chippie - 2010-09-30

phil65 Wrote:a SSD would be very useful in this case.

I am running one in mine, still have the same problems as mark007.

It really does depend on the number of movies you have and so I assume XBMC is only caching a certain amount of the posters. Problem is that I "assume" lots of people have small ion based computers they run XBMC on as well as the XBox itself and so to keep everything cross platform I do not think they will make changes to the way it processes the Posters.

Take a look at ticket #9819 on trac. Not sure if the Posters use the app thread or not but if not then perhaps this may be a solution even though the issue I had with the fanart was slightly different in that it had to resolve back when focusing on a movie without fanart, still may help if the problem is generic in all skins.

- mark007 - 2010-09-30

Its definitely not caching many, because I can keep my finger on the right arrow to scroll through movies, and after about 1/4 of a second, I can hear the HDD crunching trying to only now read the posters... its a pity if the developers would limit the functionality / power of the skins for a particular piece of hardware spec...

- chippie - 2010-09-30

mark007 Wrote:Its definitely not caching many, because I can keep my finger on the right arrow to scroll through movies, and after about 1/4 of a second, I can hear the HDD crunching trying to only now read the posters... its a pity if the developers would limit the functionality / power of the skins for a particular piece of hardware spec...

Out of interest, when I have time, will load XBMC on my Mac and see if get the same issue. Or if someone out there has it running on a Mac with a large collection could comment if they see the same issue.

EDIT: Also @mark007 do you have locally stored posters (.tbn) and fanart files (stored with you movies)? Or do you let XBMC scrape them for you?

- coendeurloo - 2010-09-30

sergiocos Wrote:Addon section was moved to Settings.
Only if you download the font_rework branch, in the master branch the fonts are still the same, as always.

But it isn't a sub item when I press down on the settings item in the main menu...so it has been removed very inconveniently Wink

I don't see why it should have been removed in the first place...you could turn the menu shortcut on or off in the settings anyway...

- mark007 - 2010-09-30

chippie Wrote:Out of interest, when I have time, will load XBMC on my Mac and see if get the same issue. Or if someone out there has it running on a Mac with a large collection could comment if they see the same issue.

EDIT: Also @mark007 do you have locally stored posters (.tbn) and fanart files (stored with you movies)? Or do you let XBMC scrape them for you?

Hi chippie, I use ember media manager to create nfo / tbn / trailer files for all of my movies so xbmc doesn't download anything for me.

I have no problem with images that arn't meant to be displayed on screen at once, like fanart etc, being loaded dynamically when required, but things like posters that are shown on screen next to eachother in skin views should be cached into memory better I feel. Would make skins much more beautiful and make better use of the hardware some people have.

- chippie - 2010-09-30

mark007 Wrote:Hi chippie, I use ember media manager to create nfo / tbn / trailer files for all of my movies so xbmc doesn't download anything for me.

I have no problem with images that arn't meant to be displayed on screen at once, like fanart etc, being loaded dynamically when required, but things like posters that are shown on screen next to eachother in skin views should be cached into memory better I feel. Would make skins much more beautiful and make better use of the hardware some people have.

Yeah I do same but with MediaCompanion. Wonder if there is also an issue in that as the Poster is not sourced by XBMC, information is stored locally. So it checks the local store against the thumbnail cache each time.

OK, can someone who has a large collection and does not store local .nfo and poster files let us know if they have the same issue when scrolling through movies and the poster not refreshing quickly enough.

If this continues guess we should move it out of the Aeon65 thread....