Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=77519)

- bodhi - 2010-12-23

rasstar Wrote:Not the case with the Harmony 300. The only thing I can change is which device controls the volume. I am still having trouble getting XBMC to launch. Sometimes it works other times it does not.

The Harmony 300 only controls up to 4 devices. Unfortunately, I can see the problem because you can only program 1 activity. How many devices you've already have? if you've reached 4 device limit, then it really does not help. But if you have only 2 other devices then add the MCE Keyboard and MCE SE keyboard.

If this is not possible, instead of using this Harmony 300, you might consider getting other refurbished Harmony for $50 or less and will not have to struggle with max device limits.

- Deihmos - 2010-12-23

I now have it working perfect. I was using the win+1 option incorrect. I thought it was suppose to be mapped to the xbmc shortcut but instead it uses the pinned shortcuts on taskbar. I no longer have any problems.

The Harmony 300 is good enough for me. I don't have more than 4 devices to control. I guess the other remotes are able to customize more than which device handles volume. That's no big deal...I don't like how they designed them with the LCD and they are overpriced.

- dave77 - 2010-12-23

bodhi Wrote:- I'm using Harmony 360, so I mapped the 4 color buttons to Left Up Down Right ( and use the thumbs to navigate like texting). And assigned first 2 soft buttons on the LCD screen to Left Click and Right Click. Those 4 color buttons are not used in XBMC or Desktop, so they are easy to get used to. I also assigned the Win+3 (for XBMC) to LCD soft button number 3, so it's always on the screen if I need to toggle between the XBMC and the Desktop.

- I have since abandoned those shutdown sequences Big Grin As I mentioned above, the Win+1 and Win+2,... buttons are much better to get in and out of XBMC. Currently, I just left XBMC running when pressing the Power down button, and this put the HTPC to sleep, and turn off all other devices. The next time when I start the XBMC activity, it'd only take a second to bring the HTPC out of the sleep mode and brought XBMC back into focus, while other device are powered on. So far it works great. Dharma version is quite stable, so I have not run into any problem using this approach. Basically only shutdown XBMC when I need to use the desktop for an extended period or need to run Windows Update.

- Problem with using the End key is this key executes different function depending where you are in XBMC. If you're in a list mode, then it will go to the end of the list. It only exits XBMC when you're at the main menu. So it doesn't work in all cases.

- I'll be glad to help. Let me know if you need more info about how I set up the XBMC activity.

Sorry, i'd got mixed up. I don't use 'End', I use XBMC.Shutdown mapped to F10, hasn't let me down yet, I just call F10 when leaving the activity, my Revo stays on.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=583451&postcount=43

I've added the new MCE SE profile to my activity and it launches fine using Win+2, could also add alt+f4 to close XBMC now.

Worth noting that this new profile is in addition to MCE Remote, not a replacement

- bodhi - 2010-12-23

rasstar Wrote:I not have it working perfect. I was using the win+1 option incorrect. I thought it was suppose to be mapped to the xbmc shortcut but instead it uses the pinned shortcuts on taskbar. I no longer have any problems.

The Harmony 300 is good enough for me. I don't have more than 4 devices to control. I guess the other remotes are able to customize more than which device handles volume. That's no big deal...I don't like how they designed them with the LCD and they are overpriced.

If it works well that's all that matter Big Grin I have been using a few other universal remotes, and I think they're built to last. The Harmony remotes, OTOH, don't last long. The only thing that the Harmony has going for them is the power state tracking of devices, and the screen (improving the user-friendly factor, i.e. WAF).

- vanOert - 2010-12-28

:-)

I like how this thread has turned self-sufficient. Theres always someone there to answer anyones questions. You guys are awesome...

- jmpa - 2011-01-04

I only use like a MCE Keyboard and all works very good. I did a sequence keys to turn pc off and it works. To turn on the activity I need to push the button on revo first, because i completely shutdown pc.

The only "problem" I have is the button for next and previous chapters on dvd (some .mkv). What are the best keys?

Thks for the good tutorial Big Grin

- Livin - 2011-01-04

I love my Harmony(s) - I've beat the crap out of them and they keep going. But like anything they can only take so much abuse before things stop working properly.

I buy the older versions (I think they are build better) and are more user friendly.

I love pushing 1 button and it does everything for me.

- bmcclure937 - 2011-01-04

Awesome thread!! I have bookmarked this for future reference when I get my setup configured and running! Big Grin

- poofyhairguy - 2011-01-05

By the way, thanks a lot for this guide. Especially thanks to pushing people to get the HP receiver- I feel most Harmony problems on the forum are due to terrible IR receivers.

- Rsaeire - 2011-01-05

I followed the guide from the start of this thread (thanks to VanOert) but I'm experiencing an issue. After setting up my Harmony One remote with both the MCE Remote and MCE Keyboard devices, I, like a few other users here, am able to get the MCE Remote to work correctly in XBMC, but unable to get the MCE Keyboard to work at all.

I have used the ShowKey program to see if it registers the key presses when using the MCE Keyboard, but the program shows no key presses being registered leading me to think that no signal is being sent. Given that I've read through this entire thread completely, and other parts several times over, I'm thinking that the receiver is the issue.

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit and the receiver I'm using is one that came with my Sapphire Theatrix 550 Pro TV tuner card.

- jmpa - 2011-01-05

What are the keys for MCE keyboard to next and previous chapters?? Anyone?

- vanOert - 2011-01-05

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Videos_Keyboard

- ert01 - 2011-01-06

I had nothing but troubles before when I tried to use my Harmony 720 with my HTPC but now I have a new HTPC and I want to give this another go...

Last time I was using EventGhost for all my controls and I found it took a very long time to get it setup and it was always a little finnicky. This time I would like to try to not use EventGhost if at all possible.

Hardware:
Harmony 720
USB UIRT
Zotac HD-ID11 pc

Software:
Harmony Remote
XBMC
Win 7 (x86)

Can anyone who has used a very similar setup comment on how they got their remote to work? I have followed a few walkthroughs but they all differ slightly and I'm not sure what one to start with as most of them use the MCE IR receiver rather then the USB UIRT.

Any tips or pointers?

- Joep_nl - 2011-01-06

If you want to do it without a 3rd party program i think a rc6 mce ir-reciever (using the ehome driver) is the only way to go.

just plug it in, select the mce-keyboard/xbmc htpc in the harmony software and most will work right away.

- vanOert - 2011-01-06

The RC6/ehome receivers on ebay are pretty cheap, maybe you should spare yourself from the trouble and just buy one.