Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=77519)

- Sheezwack - 2011-01-31

Just the standard ones. I pretty much use:

T - toggle subtitles
C - context menu (right click menu)
TAB - Takes you back to the playing movie if you have used the back button to goto menus and the movie is still playing in the background.
Shift + any letter will scroll to that letter in your list of movies etc

The volume and stop/play etc buttons should work as well.

When using XBMC the control pad is normally on arrow keys and I use them for skipping forward/back.

Thats really all I use most of the time.

- johnny87au - 2011-01-31

Thanks heaps bro, So if the movie has inbuilt subtitles i can turn them off with T right Huh Do you use a mouse with the keyboard or keyboard for everything ?? So if i hit shift + H, it'll search for all the movies with H? wow hope it works because i have like 3000 movies all blu rays gonna take me ages to find specific movies..

- Sheezwack - 2011-01-31

You do have a diNovo mini right? Do you know how it works? There is a switch near the big circle disk that switches the circle between being a touchpad and being arrow keys. So you should never use a mouse since you just switch that and use it as a touchpad if you need to.

Yes T is the default keybind for subtitles. You can also press 'enter' i think to bring up the movie controls while its playing, it might depend on your skin but there should be audio and other options in those controls as well where you can also turn subtitles off.

Anyhow this is just XMBC stuff and not really related to the diNovo at all because its just a keyboard with a touchpad, so probably best not to fill up this thread with the basics of XBMC. Just go read the wiki it should tell you alot.

- yankz23 - 2011-01-31

anyone figure out how to automatically turn on xbmc when you click the xbmc activity on your harmony remote?
i have remote set up similar to most everyone else i guess with the mce keyboard and remote added to the activity to control xbmc. it works great but i would like to get xbmc to turn on when i click the xbmc activity.

thnx

- bodhi - 2011-01-31

yankz23 Wrote:anyone figure out how to automatically turn on xbmc when you click the xbmc activity on your harmony remote?
i have remote set up similar to most everyone else i guess with the mce keyboard and remote added to the activity to control xbmc. it works great but i would like to get xbmc to turn on when i click the xbmc activity.

thnx

See this post for starting XBMC in Win 7. Similar setup for Win XP.

- johnny87au - 2011-01-31

Sheezwack Wrote:You do have a diNovo mini right? Do you know how it works? There is a switch near the big circle disk that switches the circle between being a touchpad and being arrow keys. So you should never use a mouse since you just switch that and use it as a touchpad if you need to.

Yes T is the default keybind for subtitles. You can also press 'enter' i think to bring up the movie controls while its playing, it might depend on your skin but there should be audio and other options in those controls as well where you can also turn subtitles off.

Anyhow this is just XMBC stuff and not really related to the diNovo at all because its just a keyboard with a touchpad, so probably best not to fill up this thread with the basics of XBMC. Just go read the wiki it should tell you alot.

No not yet, waiting for it to get delivered, I have been using XMBC have 3000 movies with all fanarts etc, Just making sure i set it up as soon as it comes without any issues Smile

- bodhi - 2011-01-31

Sheezwack Wrote:Hey guys, regarding the HP remote & IR in this thread.

Is there any software that works with it when you don't use the logitech. I want to customize how the buttons work.

Not sure what you're looking for? perhaps this is what you have in mind.

- yankz23 - 2011-01-31

bodhi Wrote:See this post for starting XBMC in Win 7. Similar setup for Win XP.

thanks for the reply but i already have a similar setup like that assigning xbmc a keystroke that will start from an assigned button on the remote.
what i want to do is click my xbmc activity button and when tv, and receiver change to their appropriate channels then the xbmc will turn on automatically instead of me having to manually turn it on from the remote.

- DurhamDev - 2011-01-31

yankz23 Wrote:thanks for the reply but i already have a similar setup like that assigning xbmc a keystroke that will start from an assigned button on the remote.
what i want to do is click my xbmc activity button and when tv, and receiver change to their appropriate channels then the xbmc will turn on automatically instead of me having to manually turn it on from the remote.

I've been trying to do this, but do not think it is possible. For me, it's a two step process. Press the button to turn on TV, Receiver and set them to their channels, and then press the "Run XBMC" button to run the program from my PC. Unless you have your pc on 24/7 with XBMC running, you need to do it in two steps, AFAIK.

- bodhi - 2011-01-31

yankz23 Wrote:thanks for the reply but i already have a similar setup like that assigning xbmc a keystroke that will start from an assigned button on the remote.

Yes, it's possible. I have an XBMC activity like that. On Win 7, the power button is set to "Sleep". So the activity would bring the PC in and out of sleep mode, and turn on/off other devices, and execute Win+3 key. The Win+3 is a short cut that has been pinned down to the task bar (see previous posts in this thread).

- DurhamDev - 2011-01-31

bodhi Wrote:Yes, it's possible. I have an XBMC activity like that. On Win 7, the power button is set to "Sleep". So the activity would bring the PC in and out of sleep mode, and turn on/off other devices, and execute Win+3 key. The Win+3 is a short cut that has been pinned down to the task bar (see previous posts in this thread).

Can you define how to do that on the Logitech Remote? I can't seem to get it working from the Main Menu. I can create all sorts of sequences once my items are powered on, but my remote doesn't seem to allow a sequence to be created on the Main Menu of the remote.

- bry - 2011-01-31

DurhamDev Wrote:Can you define how to do that on the Logitech Remote? I can't seem to get it working from the Main Menu. I can create all sorts of sequences once my items are powered on, but my remote doesn't seem to allow a sequence to be created on the Main Menu of the remote.

ditto, please & thank you in advance.

- artur72 - 2011-01-31

Prizm4 Wrote:There are a few people having trouble with their remote being over-sensitive and sending unwanted keypresses. I had a similar issue where the remote (both MCE remote and Harmony) would 'over-shoot' where I was intending it to go.
So on a hunch I adjusted the Keyboard settings in Windows:

I changed the "Repeat delay" from the shortest setting to the longest. You can also adjust the "Repeat rate" to whatever best suits you.

Since many remote setups are simply sending keyboard strokes to the system, it follows that adjusting the keyboard delay settings may help. It did in my circumstance, I no longer have the problem.

I use the Harmony One remote and IMON Receiver, and I have the same problem, is this the only way to solve the problem.

- bodhi - 2011-02-01

DurhamDev Wrote:Can you define how to do that on the Logitech Remote? I can't seem to get it working from the Main Menu. I can create all sorts of sequences once my items are powered on, but my remote doesn't seem to allow a sequence to be created on the Main Menu of the remote.

You don't have to use sequence at all. When you create XBMC activity all the necessary commands are included inthe Startup and Exit parts of the activity.

For example, my setup has 5 devices: MCE Keyboard, MCE Remote, MCE SE keyboard, Receiver, and TV are included in the XBMC activity. I created a shortcut to run XBMC on the desktop, and pin it down to the Win 7 task bar at position 3 (position 1 is Firefox, position 2 is Window Explorer). And I went into Win 7 power management to define the Power button as a Sleep toggle.

During setting up the XBMC activity, I responded to the Harmony questions to include these 5 devices. And also added a command to the Startup part of the XBMC activity: Win+3 (this command is from the device MCE SE keyboard). So whenever the XBMC activity run, it will toggle the HTPC out of sleep mode, turn on Receiver, turn on the TV, and set the inputs of the TV and Receiver to the correct setting, and execute WIn+3. The MCE SE keyboard device and the MCE Remote were set as always on. All of my activities (DVD, XBMC, Listening to radio,...) were set as as "Leave all other devices on during exiting activity".

This setup allowed the devices to stay on after they were on, even activity changed (especially good for channel surfing). When the remote power button is pressed, the TV and the receiver are turned off, and the HTPC is put to sleep. The next time the XBMC activity is run, the HTPC is awaken, and all other devices are turned on, and Win+3 is executed.

Win+3 is also set as a LCD softkey on the first page. This is in case the XBMC was still running before shutting down, and it might be minimized during startup. Also, it's convenient to be able to press a button to go in XBMC and out to desktop.

- yankz23 - 2011-02-01

bodhi Wrote:Yes, it's possible. I have an XBMC activity like that. On Win 7, the power button is set to "Sleep". So the activity would bring the PC in and out of sleep mode, and turn on/off other devices, and execute Win+3 key. The Win+3 is a short cut that has been pinned down to the task bar (see previous posts in this thread).

thanks for the reply.
unfortunately i cannot put my pc in sleep mode as its my media server in the house for everyone so it needs to stay on. i also use it as my main pc to watch my movies.
thanks again