Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=77519)

- gqsmooth - 2010-09-02

any word on those pictures being rehosted? i got lost when i had to decide to automatically add activities based on devices on my system.

- kim1406 - 2010-09-02

gqsmooth Wrote:any word on those pictures being rehosted? i got lost when i had to decide to automatically add activities based on devices on my system.

same here. I'm waiting for the pictures to follow the guide.

- gqsmooth - 2010-09-02

@kim1406

i went ahead and tried it. choose to not add devices automatically based on activity.

when it gives you an option choose utility
next screen choose generic
next screen add at least your tv and mce keyboard (the others are up to you but i added my cable box in order to control volume, more on that later*)
choose your input settings for your tv
select dont need to select input for mce keyboard.
when the setup for generic activity is done go to the activites page and select customize buttons. i used the key map on page 3 of this topic as a guide but you can set your own buttons up.

*when setting up buttons for mute, vol up/down make sure your controlling device is not the mce keyboard, here is where i used my cable box.

good luck!

- kim1406 - 2010-09-02

gqsmooth Wrote:@kim1406

i went ahead and tried it. choose to not add devices automatically based on activity.

when it gives you an option choose utility
next screen choose generic
next screen add at least your tv and mce keyboard (the others are up to you but i added my cable box in order to control volume, more on that later*)
choose your input settings for your tv
select dont need to select input for mce keyboard.
when the setup for generic activity is done go to the activites page and select customize buttons. i used the key map on page 3 of this topic as a guide but you can set your own buttons up.

*when setting up buttons for mute, vol up/down make sure your controlling device is not the mce keyboard, here is where i used my cable box.

good luck!

Thanks, I will try this out and report.
by the way, in the guide, we have to make two devices (MCE Remote and keybaord), here you didn't mention any thing about the MCE Remote!!

- vanOert - 2010-09-02

Hey.

Talked to my hoster, they have capacity problems at the moment. Unfortunately, I have no way of recovering the images at this point, though their promise is to have it up and running again next week.

Sorry 'bout that. Undecided

- vanOert - 2010-09-02

Whoops... Got 'em. Now on my private ftp... Shouldn't be a problem. Pictures are back! :-)

- dave77 - 2010-09-02

Why do you need to add 'MCE Remote', 'MCE Keyboard' alone should do everything you need

- vanOert - 2010-09-02

I guess you are right. Will look in to it first though. Initially I included MCE remote for the playback control Buttons as I was not sure whether I could use standard key actions for playback control in every usage scenario (eg: skipping to next track while changing settings).

- dave77 - 2010-09-02

Ah, maybe it's needed then, I only use xbmc for movies and MCE Keyboard covers everything for that.

- Handa - 2010-09-02

I use only keyboard and having no issues.

- gqsmooth - 2010-09-02

@kim - yeah have never used an mce remote for xbmc so i went with just the keyboard

@van or anybody - is there keyboard commands for skip/next chapter? theres a skip forward which is just a skip ahead thing but i haven't found a key that would actually skip to the next chapter in a dvd....

- rausch101 - 2010-09-02

gqsmooth Wrote:@kim - yeah have never used an mce remote for xbmc so i went with just the keyboard

@van or anybody - is there keyboard commands for skip/next chapter? theres a skip forward which is just a skip ahead thing but i haven't found a key that would actually skip to the next chapter in a dvd....

period and comma for chapter control

- vanOert - 2010-09-02

Handa: Could you try and check whether you are able to control media playback while being in another usage scenario with your setup? If so, maybe we can exclude the MCE Remote.

Edit: rausch101: Good one, noted for final setup recommendation...

- farside847 - 2010-09-03

Thanks for the info!

I am going to install the XBMC live on a Revo. Will this IR dongle be plug and play with no driver installs?

- gqsmooth - 2010-09-03

depends on your OS. i just plugged mine into my laptop running windows 7 64bit and it installed it automatically. it worked with the harmony right off the bat.