Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=77519)

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - thebearnecessit - 2012-11-09

I've edited this query out of this post because it was badly explained, and it's been fixed, and i dont know how i fixed it, and it wasn't entirely relevant in the first place.

So just carry on with your lives people Laugh

RE: - riggle - 2012-11-15

(2011-02-24, 09:24)ronhash Wrote:
vidor Wrote:Hi all!

Hope that someone has a idea what should I set further to get proper funcionality of my setup. Been trough all the posts...googled a lot!

I have Chieftec case with imon inside,I use a Harmony One remote (MCE remote and MCE keyboard combo)
All the commands that I use as "MCE keyboard" get stuck in an infinite loop.
Where should I set that ? I press it once and get subtitle on,off,on off...loop...

Where should I make further settings ? IMON manager ?
I allready did the delay settings for keyboard input on the WIN 7 home premium.

Any ideas ?

Hey, have the exact same problem - did you ever found a solution for it?
I think it's not related to XBMC, as I opened notepad, clicked the Info button I assigned to i, pressed the i, and I get endless i key presses in the notepad...
It seems that iMon does not know that the key was released, which is weird.

Hey!
Did YOU ever find a solution for this issue?
Or does anyone else know a solution for this?

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - ok103 - 2012-11-20

thanks for A great manual !!

I really need your help ... how to configure the reomote some buttons ...

1. how to set a button for subtitles.
2.how to set a button for "scan for new content" .

is there an option on the XBMC to minimize in so i can see the desktop ? can i configure a button for that ?

I have an rc6 microsoft remote ... can i get the button configuration for a file in the computer ( I have those (1,2) buttons configued in my rc6 remote)

ok103

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - ok103 - 2012-11-20

i got the answer

configure your harmony remote , , to use MCE keybord with this command

t - for subtitles
c- contant - right click on the mouse - menu with : scan for new contant ..

i hope that someone will post all the key letters that we can use on our xbmc /harmony650 remote

hope i helped anyone
ok103

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - bodhi - 2012-11-20

See this for Harmony XBMC keyboard binding:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=77519&pid=735331#pid735331

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - StefanM - 2012-11-24

Hi everyone.

I got myself a Harmony 600 remote and have set it up according to the guide, and tried to do it several times from scratch.

But it just does not work in XBMC itself. I can't move left or right or choose anything.

I have then tried to use MCE remote, instead of MS keyboard as primary navigation. This helped in the beginning, but soon this failed too. Sometimes I can get it too work, but within 10 mins it stops working and only 30 strokes will get me one keypress. Most of the times I have no response at all.

I have created the keyboard.xml with the code provided on page 1 as well and then pasted that into the keymaps folder.

I cannot see anything wrong in my setup. HELP!

Thanks

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - Silvaire - 2012-11-24

Did you enable remote keypresses in the XBMC settings menu? You need that enabled when using the MCE Keyboard device.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - StefanM - 2012-11-24

It is enabled. Smile

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - riggle - 2012-11-24

No one with a solution to key press loop?

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - bodhi - 2012-11-25

(2012-11-24, 19:58)StefanM Wrote: Hi everyone.

I got myself a Harmony 600 remote and have set it up according to the guide, and tried to do it several times from scratch.

But it just does not work in XBMC itself. I can't move left or right or choose anything.

I have then tried to use MCE remote, instead of MS keyboard as primary navigation. This helped in the beginning, but soon this failed too. Sometimes I can get it too work, but within 10 mins it stops working and only 30 strokes will get me one keypress. Most of the times I have no response at all.

I have created the keyboard.xml with the code provided on page 1 as well and then pasted that into the keymaps folder.

I cannot see anything wrong in my setup. HELP!

Thanks

I assume that the remote works for you on the Windows desktop? ... Have you tried switching to MCE SE keyboard device? it is a more reliable keyboard device.

Also, you don't really need MCE Remote device unless you plan to use it with Windows Media Player or other apps outside XBMC. All XMBC keyboard letters can be sent with keyboard device.

You can turn Debug on and try a few key presses and then close XBMC, look at the log to see if they were sent to XBMC and processed without error. IIRC, there is also another tool (Showkey) that people use to display the key codes interactively, but sorry I don't have a link to the page now.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - StefanM - 2012-11-26

I have now turned the remote to only use Keyboard (unless for uses like ALT+F4 ect). My keystrokes are received, but only on 10+ strokes. MCE remote receives better, but still only after a couple strokes.

I have noticed, that my Infared reciever turns off, when computer goes to sleep. i should be using the correct IR, though im not 100% sure how to verify.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - StefanM - 2012-11-26

I cannot get it to work proper in windows either. The keystrokes are random, and gets worse over time.

If i set all buttons to MCE remote, then I have the highest success rate, but buttons like Info, Guide wont work. In windows it will 9 out of 10 times not recieve strokes like ALT+F4 or WIN + 3

if all keys are set to MCE Keyboard then almost none of them will work most of the time.

What I can conclude, that this is not a problem only in xbmc. The keys are not intercepted by the system.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - bodhi - 2012-11-27

(2012-11-26, 17:46)StefanM Wrote: I cannot get it to work proper in windows either. The keystrokes are random, and gets worse over time.

If i set all buttons to MCE remote, then I have the highest success rate, but buttons like Info, Guide wont work. In windows it will 9 out of 10 times not recieve strokes like ALT+F4 or WIN + 3

if all keys are set to MCE Keyboard then almost none of them will work most of the time.

What I can conclude, that this is not a problem only in xbmc. The keys are not intercepted by the system.

The MCE SE Keyboard device must be used to send key combos like ALT+F4 or WIN + 3. The MCE Keyboard and MCE Remote don't have those keys.

What IR receiver do you use? I hope it's RC6? since you've proven that it does not work reliably in Win 7, not just XBMC, I think it is the receiver or the driver.

RC6 receivers should work in Win 7 right out of the box, without even setting up anything. If you go into Device Manager it probably shows the receiver as eHome device.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - StefanM - 2012-11-27

I think you are correct in the issue regarding the IR. It has been installed as an eHome Infared Driver.

Is there an easy way to check if it is RC6?

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - bodhi - 2012-11-27

(2012-11-27, 09:08)StefanM Wrote: I think you are correct in the issue regarding the IR. It has been installed as an eHome Infared Driver.

Is there an easy way to check if it is RC6?

Do you have the IR receiver brand and model number? Google for that should turn up whether it's RC6. In any case, if it's eHome then it should work.

Can you list other info such as which Harmony device you've used to set it up (MCE keyboard, MCE SE, ...), what is your keymap.xml, IR receiver brand & model number, and things like that. Without all the information, it's hard to know. The RC6 IR receivers that others have tried and reported in in this thread work fine (HP and Philips mostly).