Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

- elitegamer360 - 2011-01-27

jeffpzy Wrote:I'll try directly with the HP remote tonight. What I did was follow the set up from your site and then learned the commands directly from the HP into the URC. I did not use a code database of any sort.

I did enable the remote setting in XBMC as you mentioned.

Thanks for the info Smile

Yes then, please try your HP remote as it will help source the problem. If the HP remote works then its to do with your URC MX-450.

Cheers,
EG.

- elitegamer360 - 2011-01-28

@ polecat1982 :

Please let me know what happened with you. I would love to learn about the remote compatibility with windows XP or is it actually a hardware issue?

Cheers,
EG.

- DeniedByFleury - 2011-01-28

just wondering if you could possibly help me out as i am completely lost on what to do.

Heres the remote i am using. Image

GP-IR02BK(TSGP-IR01)

Heres what ive got so far.

I tried to apply the "Green Button" fix with autokey and now it turns on my xbox 360.

I would like it to start up XBMC instead on my windows 7 machine if possible.

Also i would like my power button on my remote to open the shutdown menu if possible. i saw somewhere that it was Ctrl+Shift+S but again, no idea what im doing..

Thanks for any help, and if you cant i understand.

- elitegamer360 - 2011-01-29

DeniedByFleury Wrote:.....
I tried to apply the "Green Button" fix with autokey and now it turns on my xbox 360.

I would like it to start up XBMC instead on my windows 7 machine if possible.
The Green start button start your XBOX 360 because your console is too close to the receiver, try to remove the console away from your HTPC.

If that is not possible then use MCERemoteMapper.exe to map your green start button to "Shift-Alt-Enter".

On the MCERemoteMapper just navigate down to the Start button, and:
1- untick the Windows option
2- TICK the Shift option
Click on Apply to save, exit and restart

the Autohotkey you used should be changed as well:
1- Open the script with notepad to edit
2- On the second line you will see #!Enter::
3- Change it to +!Enter:: (Can you note the change here, we changed the hash sign to a plus sign) Do not delete anything else.
Save, Exit and reload the script.

Now you should be able to start XBMC without triggering the XBOX 360 all the time.

DeniedByFleury Wrote:Also i would like my power button on my remote to open the shutdown menu if possible. i saw somewhere that it was Ctrl+Shift+S but again, no idea what im doing..

Thanks for any help, and if you cant i understand.
I am not sure what you mean! My remote configv1.24 and all the old versions has always used the power button to open the Shutdown Menu.

Anyways the key "S" should bring the Shutdown menu. Again you can use MCERemoteMapper to do that just that. Navigate to this button and just make sure no option is ticked against the power button and select from the dropdown menu letter "S". apply to save, exit and restart.

might as well you do this step with the Green start button so that you wont have to restart twice. :-)

Cheers,
EG.

- DeniedByFleury - 2011-01-29

ok i opened the MCEMapper, i dont see an option for the start button, maybe im just missing something altogether.

if i download the config, where should i place it? maybe thats all i need to do?

EDIT - Scratch that i found all the options on MCEMapper, now lets see if i can figure this out haha

ok i changed the hashtag to a + sign however when i go to save it it keeps telling me access is denied...

DeniedByFleury Wrote:ok i opened the MCEMapper, i dont see an option for the start button, maybe im just missing something altogether.

if i download the config, where should i place it? maybe thats all i need to do?

EDIT - Scratch that i found all the options on MCEMapper, now lets see if i can figure this out haha

The start button should be button number "13" and called "Windows". I did not say its name so not to confuse you any further.

EDIT: Forgive me I got confused for a second. here's the clarification: the MCE remote will always start your XBOX 360 no matter what you do. The remote functions are hardcoded, our ability to change what the buttons do because of the "eHome" driver. So your only solution is to remove the XBOX 360 and the HTPC appart. This is the only way! Althought the way I told earlier just works in your PC so it wont start WMC even if the autohotkey script is not running.

Cheers,
EG.

elitegamer360 Wrote:The start button should be button number "13" and called "Windows". I did not say its name so not to confuse you any further.

EDIT: Forgive me I got confused for a second. here's the clarification: the MCE remote will always start your XBOX 360 no matter what you do. The remote functions are hardcoded, our ability to change what the buttons do because of the "eHome" driver. So your only solution is to remove the XBOX 360 and the HTPC appart. This is the only way! Althought the way I told earlier just works in your PC so it wont start WMC even if the autohotkey script is not running.

Cheers,
EG.
Found the windows button no problem, however i cannot move my Xbox at all as its part of my entertainment unit... so is there no way that i can get this option to work? i would hate to have to get off the couch to walk over to the computer to open XBMC every time haha

SO the other solution for the Green start button is to Start your XBOX 360 and disable the MCE remote. This way your green start button will not start the XBOX 360. LoLs

I am just testing now on my 360 but Its downloading an XBOX live update Rolleyes Not sure if it will work bear with me please.

Edit: can you try it as well please if you know how! The damn thing is downloading the third update in a row :-(

Cheers,
EG.

elitegamer360 Wrote:SO the other solution for the Green start button is to Start your XBOX 360 and disable the MCE remote. This way your green start button will not start the XBOX 360. LoLs

I am just testing now on my 360 but Its downloading an XBOX live update Rolleyes Not sure if it will work bear with me please.

Edit: can you try it as well please if you know how! The damn thing is downloading the third update in a row :-(

Cheers,
EG.

take your time man i really appreciate the help!!

also i tried editing the autokey file but notepad wont let me save it.... not sure what to do about that..

DeniedByFleury Wrote:take your time man i really appreciate the help!!

also i tried editing the autokey file but notepad wont let me save it.... not sure what to do about that..

Forget about the autohotkey, if you changed the Windows button in MCERemotemapper might as well return it like it was. "Windows-Alt-Enter"

Soon this update is gona finish, I'm just surprised its taking sooo long. Soon will let yea Know :-)

Cheers,
EG.

elitegamer360 Wrote:Forget about the autohotkey, if you changed the Windows button in MCERemotemapper might as well return it like it was. "Windows-Alt-Enter"

Soon this update is gona finish, I'm just surprised its taking sooo long. Soon will let yea Know :-)

Cheers,
EG.

ok thanks man

YES, it worked Laugh but you will not be able to use your MCE remote on your XBOX 360 unless you change the option.

Ok to Stop the Green Start button from Starting the XBOX 360, Do this:

1- Start XBOX 360
2- System Settings
3- Console Settings
4- Remote Control
5- Select "Xbox 360 Media Remote" will stop the MCE remote from functioning with the XBOX 360. If you want it to work again for some reason just select "Both Remotes".

And for the power button just map it to "S" if you have not used any of my reg configs. :-)

Cheers,
EG.

elitegamer360 Wrote:YES, it worked Laugh but you will not be able to use your MCE remote on your XBOX 360 unless you change the option.

Ok to Stop the Green Start button from Starting the XBOX 360, Do this:

1- Start XBOX 360
2- System Settings
3- Console Settings
4- Remote Control
5- Select "Xbox 360 Media Remote" will stop the MCE remote from functioning with the XBOX 360. If you want it to work again for some reason just select "Both Remotes".

And for the power button just map it to "S" if you have not used any of my reg configs. :-)

Cheers,
EG.

awesome!! ok i have zero intention on using it for my 360 lol so now all i need to do is Map the keys i need and it should work? so i have to place any files anywhere or just map the keys and restart the computer?

sorry 1 more n00b question..

Power "12" = nothing check and S?

Windows "13" = Shift + Alt + Return??

thanks again

DeniedByFleury Wrote:awesome!! ok i have zero intention on using it for my 360 lol so now all i need to do is Map the keys i need and it should work? so i have to place any files anywhere or just map the keys and restart the computer?

sorry 1 more n00b question..

Power "12" = nothing check and S?

Windows "13" = Shift + Alt + Return??

thanks again

if you are using the configv1.24 you just need to save it anywhere and apply it once then restart and you can delete it afterwards if you want.

The Autohotkey script must be in your windows all users startup folder, so every time you start your PC it will load.

and finaly the Windows "13" map it to Windows + Alt + Return or Enter it does not matter both return and enter are the same. So tick "windows and Alt" and from the drop down menu choose Enter or return.

Cheers,
EG

- teeedubb - 2011-01-29

Thanks alot for your useful site/wiki. Ive finally gotten my mce remote to work as it should with 10minutes of work. Nothing else would just work right. Just a bit of tweaking and it will be setup the way I want it.

One question though, I plan on running emulators through xbmc and would like to be able to close the emulator using the remote. Would I be able to achieve this through these registry modifications or will I need to use another app like eventghost?

Thanks again!