Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

- nemulate - 2010-09-16

Just wanted to say thanks for this, works perfect with my MCE remote and means I can now ditch Eventghost.

Cheers

- jhsrennie - 2010-09-16

Ector73 Wrote:The last one, version 1.20.rar with Replace .xml

Ector

Ah, OK, I can't comment on that .reg file. Because you mentioned ShowKey I assumed you were using my config from xbmcmce.sourceforge.net.

JR

- jhsrennie - 2010-09-16

rendered Wrote:Yeah it's very strange. I don't think Showkey is working on my PC - none of the buttons I press generate any RegIDs. I am using the following MS MCE remote:

MS MCE Remote

Running MS Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit...

Well that looks like a standard MS remote all right.

ShowKey just displays and keystrokes it receives. You can check that Showkey is working by pressing any key on the keyboard. ShowKey does need to have the focus for it to detect and display keystrokes from the keyboard or the remote.

JR

- elitegamer360 - 2010-09-16

Ector73 Wrote:Hello everyone. First of all thanks for the job. Everything works fine except for the volume.
This does not work in xbmc and even in windows. I tried to use showkey but nothing appears on the volume keys. Help me please ... I can not get up from the couch every time I increase or decrease the volume RoflRofl

I have original mce remote (Microsoft with Teletext) and dharma beta 2

that is really weird! I have not touched the volume buttons with all the revisions I posted. I only changed the mute button in v1.20 thats it.

Did you restart your system after applying the .reg file. if still does not work try one of my other revisions. I really do not see why would this occur. I've tested all my revisions before posting issues and I can confirm I see no problems with the volume remote buttons from my side. Volume up should send "+" and Volume down should send "-" and in revision 1.20 Mute button should send "B".

- erikss0n - 2010-09-16

Many thanks, all works fine here now - bye bye EVENTGHOST! Big Grin

Had my setup working before with eventghost but it was very sluggish and if I held down a button it wouldn't repeat. I played with the HID enabled/disabled and the 0.15 value but no luck with HID enabled it would jump 2 menu-items.

I run an original MCE remote with TELETEXT and system in sig.

- ubuntuf4n - 2010-09-16

@elitegamer360:

Could you write a small tutorial how people could integrate their own prefered remote controls.
These Steps would be nice to know:
-How to detect the Remote Contol Signals (Which Keys/Codes are sent by remote)
-How to edit the reg-file /xml-file to implement own tweaks
-How to apply features on several buttons

The good thing about that would be that people could understand, how to change your files for their own 'best settings', but that could be only possible if they knew how to do these steps. These steps as a addition to your opening post would be nice.

btw, you're doing great work.

Regards,
Ubuntuf4n

- elitegamer360 - 2010-09-17

ubuntuf4n Wrote:@elitegamer360:

Could you write a small tutorial how people could integrate their own prefered remote controls.
These Steps would be nice to know:
-How to detect the Remote Contol Signals (Which Keys/Codes are sent by remote)
-How to edit the reg-file /xml-file to implement own tweaks
-How to apply features on several buttons

The good thing about that would be that people could understand, how to change your files for their own 'best settings', but that could be only possible if they knew how to do these steps. These steps as a addition to your opening post would be nice.

btw, you're doing great work.

Regards,
Ubuntuf4n

Thank you for your complements and suggestions. What you are asking for had already been done for a very long time now. Thanks to John Rennie for creating/supplying the Utilities and config files for configuring the official Microsoft MCE remote, which also includes a reference guide to all the remote functions codes and more etc.. You can download all the tools required from his site www.xbmcmce.sourceforge.net

for me it was not very easy to follow because when I started I had Zero knowledge in this field, so took me months reading and learning about this stuff to finally arrive to where I am now and thought it would be a good idea to share what I think is the best and easiest way to control XBMC under windows x86 or x32.

Please feel free to visit www.xbmcmce.sourceforge.net but as I mentioned in my first post I'm trying to put a simple tutorial that can be followed easily by n00bs but not sure how long that will take me. I cannot give any completion date but I can tell you that I have done 20% of it.

For now If you or anyone else want any modification to suit your style please let me know I will be more than happy to do it for you as it will not take me as long as finishing the tutorial.

Cheers.

- ptipton - 2010-09-17

Would this work with windows xp?

- jonathanxmbc - 2010-09-17

Thanks for this.

I had been working on one myself, got tired of reading wikis and editing reg files and xml files. No need.

My RC6 remote works as it always should have now.

- jhsrennie - 2010-09-17

elitegamer360 Wrote:Thank you for your complements and suggestions. What you are asking for had already been done for a very long time now. Thanks to John Rennie for creating/supplying the Utilities and config files for configuring the official Microsoft MCE remote, which also includes a reference guide to all the remote functions codes and more etc.. You can download all the tools required from his site www.xbmcmce.sourceforge.net

for me it was not very easy to follow because when I started I had Zero knowledge in this field, so took me months reading and learning about this stuff to finally arrive to where I am now and thought it would be a good idea to share what I think is the best and easiest way to control XBMC under windows x86 or x32.

Please feel free to visit www.xbmcmce.sourceforge.net but as I mentioned in my first post I'm trying to put a simple tutorial that can be followed easily by n00bs but not sure how long that will take me. I cannot give any completion date but I can tell you that I have done 20% of it.

For now If you or anyone else want any modification to suit your style please let me know I will be more than happy to do it for you as it will not take me as long as finishing the tutorial.

Cheers.

On my to do list is to write a Plugin that will do all the hard work for you ...

JR

- ubuntuf4n - 2010-09-17

elitegamer360 Wrote:...

Cheers.
Looking forward for your tutorial. Great Spirit. Smile

jhsrennie Wrote:On my to do list is to write a Plugin that will do all the hard work for you ...

JR

jhsrennie, your tools are always highly welcome. Can't wait to put my hands on.. Laugh

Regards,
Ubuntuf4n

- Ector73 - 2010-09-17

elitegamer360 Wrote:that is really weird! I have not touched the volume buttons with all the revisions I posted. I only changed the mute button in v1.20 thats it.

Did you restart your system after applying the .reg file. if still does not work try one of my other revisions. I really do not see why would this occur. I've tested all my revisions before posting issues and I can confirm I see no problems with the volume remote buttons from my side. Volume up should send "+" and Volume down should send "-" and in revision 1.20 Mute button should send "B".

I reeboot pc after applying the .reg file and I tried the other reviews but the problem remains. The strange thing is that eventghost detects the volume as "mceremote.3010" and "mceremote.3011," while "showkey" does not detect anything.
For the moment I use eventghost only for the volume. Everything else is run from .reg that works well.

IDEA:
How do I assign the function of the volume to other keys on the remote? Example: Use the "channel up & down

- jhsrennie - 2010-09-17

Ector73 Wrote:I reeboot pc after applying the .reg file and I tried the other reviews but the problem remains. The strange thing is that eventghost detects the volume as "mceremote.3010" and "mceremote.3011," while "showkey" does not detect anything.
For the moment I use eventghost only for the volume. Everything else is run from .reg that works well.

IDEA:
How do I assign the function of the volume to other keys on the remote? Example: Use the "channel up & down

If you have Eventghost running this could be interfering. In Eventghost do you have the "disable HID device" option ticked? If so untick it.

JR

- Ector73 - 2010-09-17

jhsrennie Wrote:If you have Eventghost running this could be interfering. In Eventghost do you have the "disable HID device" option ticked? If so untick it.

JR

I did all the tests without eventghost. Then I installed eventghost with "disable HID device" option unticked and the volume buttons are recognized as "mceremote.3010" and "mceremote.3011.
I thought the remote control buttons were broken, but not so.
Nerd

- elitegamer360 - 2010-09-18

jhsrennie Wrote:On my to do list is to write a Plugin that will do all the hard work for you ...

JR

sounds great, thank you!

--
@ptipton: I do not see a reason for it not to work with Win XP, but make sure to follow my 1st post in pg1.

check that you have the path below in your registry before you start, if you can't find it I am afraid that it might not work for you.

Code:
|        _>Services                       |
|        _>HidIr                           |
|            _>Remotes                   |
|            _>745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da |
|______________________________________________________________|