Kodi Community Forum
Release [depricated] old YouTube Plugin - XBMC 13.0 Frodo/Gotham only - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: Release [depricated] old YouTube Plugin - XBMC 13.0 Frodo/Gotham only (/showthread.php?tid=79487)

- HenrikDK - 2011-05-09

kiboy6 Wrote:Many thanks. Is the release branch available for testing?

Also, re: age verification: is / will a youtube account (be) necessary to receive completely unrestricted content?

Thanks so much for this awesome addon!

Not available in a prepackaged form, no.

And yes a YouTube account is necessary to view 18+ content.

- HenrikDK - 2011-05-09

Hirs Wrote:Great plugin!, just one thing: is there a way to encrypt the password? my XBMC has internet access and I don't like the idea of exposing my google account pass Smile

This is an issue with xbmc's settings interface for addons. If you're worried about loosing you login information i suggest switching to google two factor authentication.

- Death-Axe - 2011-05-11

Login issues AGAIN. Had to re login a couple of days ago (had to uninstall the addon and delete settings etc to get it to login)

Today I am getting bad username and password.

Edit: youtube servers have crashed, not a plugin issue this time surprisingly enough.

- kiboy6 - 2011-05-11

A feature request that might be impossible but would be super useful:

Would there be any way to have the youtube addon dovetail with the Utorrent Control plugin such that all torrents are paused when youtube content is accessed?

My connection is really crappy and I have to manually pause my torrents to get any kind of smooth youtube experience.

Probably not feasible, but just thought I'd throw it out there Smile

- HenrikDK - 2011-05-11

Death-Axe Wrote:Login issues AGAIN. Had to re login a couple of days ago (had to uninstall the addon and delete settings etc to get it to login)

Today I am getting bad username and password.

Edit: youtube servers have crashed, not a plugin issue this time surprisingly enough.

Hi Death Axe,

I would like to escalate this issue with team xbmc, but i need some logs demonstrating the issue, next time you run into this problem could i get you to re-upload a debug log?

- Death-Axe - 2011-05-11

HenrikDK Wrote:Hi Death Axe,

I would like to escalate this issue with team xbmc, but i need some logs demonstrating the issue, next time you run into this problem could i get you to re-upload a debug log?

Hi, yes I'll do that for ya :-)

- Hirs - 2011-05-11

HenrikDK Wrote:This is an issue with xbmc's settings interface for addons. If you're worried about loosing you login information i suggest switching to google two factor authentication.

Thank you @HenrikDK I didn't realised this existed, I feel safer now Smile

- HenrikDK - 2011-05-11

Hirs Wrote:Thank you @HenrikDK I didn't realised this existed, I feel safer now Smile

Glad I could help. I've decided to update the first page in the forum thread with the same information (perhaps it can reach more people that way).

Altering buffer settings. - tvadakia - 2011-05-11

I apologize if this has been answered in the forum already, I've done about 20 minutes of searching with no luck. I have a slow DSL connection so when I watch YouTube videos they often get stuck buffering every 5 seconds of playtime. Is there a way to alter/lengthen the amount this plugin buffers before it starts playing the video? I realize I could, instead, download the video, then play it; however, I use XBMC Commander to search for and play (streaming) the videos without using the XBMC interface.

Thanks to everyone in advance!!

- HenrikDK - 2011-05-11

tvadakia Wrote:I apologize if this has been answered in the forum already, I've done about 20 minutes of searching with no luck. I have a slow DSL connection so when I watch YouTube videos they often get stuck buffering every 5 seconds of playtime. Is there a way to alter/lengthen the amount this plugin buffers before it starts playing the video?
The buffer length is controlled by XBMC and theres no way for us to manipulate it from the plugin. I think there might be an advanced setting though i'm not quite sure.
The streaming speed is controlled by youtube, and they've chosen to throttle most stream qualities very harshly. There's nothing we can do about that on the plugin side (We've tried messing with urls and such but non of it works), and I don't think there's anything XBMC can do about it either (Though I may be wrong here, since it seems flash player is better at buffering and streaming from youtube that xbmc is).

Quote:I realize I could, instead, download the video, then play it; however, I use XBMC Commander to search for and play (streaming) the videos without using the XBMC interface.

Thanks to everyone in advance!!
The next beta will automatically playback already downloaded videos from local storage (so long as they're not moved etc etc.). I realize that probably wont help you're situation but i guess we could look into creating a "download and then play" functionality even-though its not nearly as smooth as what I would want to offer. Huh

- tvadakia - 2011-05-11

HenrikDK Wrote:The buffer length is controlled by XBMC and theres no way for us to manipulate it from the plugin. I think there might be an advanced setting though i'm not quite sure.
The streaming speed is controlled by youtube, and they've chosen to throttle most stream qualities very harshly. There's nothing we can do about that on the plugin side (We've tried messing with urls and such but non of it works), and I don't think there's anything XBMC can do about it either (Though I may be wrong here, since it seems flash player is better at buffering and streaming from youtube that xbmc is).

The next beta will automatically playback already downloaded videos from local storage (so long as they're not moved etc etc.). I realize that probably wont help you're situation but i guess we could look into creating a "download and then play" functionality even-though its not nearly as smooth as what I would want to offer. Huh

Thanks for the quick response. I think you're very right, the default YouTube Flash implementation seems to take bandwidth into account and throttles and/or buffers accordingly to give a better overall viewing experience. How would I, knowing it might take four releases of XBMC before it'd be implemented, start the proverbial ball to roll on such a change in XBMC?

I do like your idea of possibly downloading-then-playing videos; however, I do see the quirkiness of such an option. I suppose one way to implement that would be a non-invasive question after the download is completed saying "YouTube video download completed. Play (y/n)?" much like after an updated skin will ask if we'd like to switch to that skin (overlaid over whatever screen your on or video that you're watching).

Again, thanks for your reply.

- activate - 2011-05-12

Hey Henrik, wanted to mention something that may or may not have relevance to tvadakia's issue.

A while ago, we talked about channels with annotations and how that was not currently possible. You suggested that I add them as contacts and thereby gain access to their uploads, playlists etc. I have been doing that.

Recently I've also started using a relatively new add on by aj called filmi by nature which streams bollywood content. As it happens, lot of bollywood content is on youtube and therefore, aj has added the function of adding youtube channels on his add on. As an experiment I've streamed videos through this youtube add on as well as aj's. What I've found is that when playing the same video (same quality) through aj's, it takes a little longer to load but after that, there is less buffering through latter part of the stream. The seeking is also better. I was surprised that there was a difference. I then tried a few other videos with the same result. I don't know the reason for this, although the initial delay in the stream for me points to caching. As you have mentioned, this is not adjustable through xbmc.

I try different avenues sometimes because, my isp connection speeds are also quite ordinary, hence the experimentations. I am running this on atv2 ver 4.1 dharma 10.7 and have not tried it on another platform.

- HenrikDK - 2011-05-12

activate Wrote:Hey Henrik, wanted to mention something that may or may not have relevance to tvadakia's issue.

A while ago, we talked about channels with annotations and how that was not currently possible. You suggested that I add them as contacts and thereby gain access to their uploads, playlists etc. I have been doing that.

Recently I've also started using a relatively new add on by aj called filmi by nature which streams bollywood content. As it happens, lot of bollywood content is on youtube and therefore, aj has added the function of adding youtube channels on his add on. As an experiment I've streamed videos through this youtube add on as well as aj's. What I've found is that when playing the same video (same quality) through aj's, it takes a little longer to load but after that, there is less buffering through latter part of the stream. The seeking is also better. I was surprised that there was a difference. I then tried a few other videos with the same result. I don't know the reason for this, although the initial delay in the stream for me points to caching. As you have mentioned, this is not adjustable through xbmc.

I try different avenues sometimes because, my isp connection speeds are also quite ordinary, hence the experimentations. I am running this on atv2 ver 4.1 dharma 10.7 and have not tried it on another platform.

Hmm interesting, i'll look into it.

- HenrikDK - 2011-05-13

@activate

I've looked into playback and to me it seems unchanged, the url's that plugin provides are the same as our plugin (Looked through the code and there's no black magic). Just to make sure I tested one of the problematic subscriptions i have, and got the same buffering issues as usual (testing 720p), I did notice the plugin seems to go for highest quality available so if you've been streaming 1080p you might have had a better experience since YouTube doesn't throttle those streams (this would also explain the slightly longer buffering time in the beginning of the video).

- Therms - 2011-05-13

Is there a way (and, if not, could we get a way) to access YouTube 100? It would be great to just play through them like you can on the website....you know, start them playing and walk away and it plays the top 100 music videos. Bonus points if you can shuffle them!

If the dev doesn't want/have time, if you'd point me in the right direction I'll see about implementing it myself. I'm a Python dev with no XBMC experience...

http://gizmodo.com/5801695/screw-mtv-youtube-100-makes-music-videos-relevant-again